cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

surgeon felt lump but ultrasound clear

Heidi1

Re: surgeon felt lump but ultrasound clear

Good luck Lynette,

I'm in Tuesday am too, I'll be thinking about you!

Heidi xxxx

ForumMember

Thats good Lynnette, let me know how it goes.

Sheana x

poppyjasper

Right, after a load of old twaddle I have an appointment for 14th October (Tuesday coming) and it has been moved from the general clinic to the screening clinic. I think this was requested by the consultant as his secretary was adamant that it would not be moved and was the first available appointment. An hour later the appointments department called to give me a new appointment, and she was so lovely wishing me all the best etc! My doctor had called the secretary but the secretary was clearly not honestly planning on doing anything about it as she hadnt even logged the call.

Still it is great news as it will be all over this time next week x

Heidi1

Hi Lynette,

You are sounding much calmer, I think I needed Sheana a year ago, lol!! Sorry about the run around you are having over your appnt, I would call GP back on Thursday lunchtime, give her the morning to get
to you, if not, I'd ring her then.... only because if you leave it til later in the day, she will say "I'll ring tomorrow" and then forget! At least this way there is every chance she can call that afternoon!

I got made redundant yesterday so I'm finding it really hard to occupy my mind as now I cant go to work, though trying to find another job is like a full time job in itself!!

Sheena, defo get a 2nd opinion, like Sheana said req both options, you can never be too careful. Best of luck to you hun, I understand your mentality "I'm too young", I'm 27 and think that too, and chances are I'm ok (on lump number 4 now).

Heidi xx

sheena2202

Thank you both I will tell my dr to get me a mri and get a surgeon refferal. I do not think it is possible to worry more. Cancer is very common in my family and that is my biggest fear.

ForumMember

Lynette - What a pain!! I think you sound less anxious than you did last week so well done you........keep with the breathing!! Good girl x

Sheena - two Sheana's well, how unusual!

Anyway, I would request the breast mri and to see the surgeon if possible, you can't 'over check'. As for being more worried.......is sounds as though you are worried enough already so forget that one. Keep on to the professionals if you aren't happy.....it's your body and you have a right to question what you think may be wrong.

Sheana x

poppyjasper

Sorry to hear your story Sheena, I would prob want a biopsy or MRI in your shoes tbh. I had the same issue with US and my thickened area was not seen at all although I could feel the probe moving over the area. I am going back and would recommend that you do too.

I am sure that others will be of more help than me x

Sheana - called the GP surgery and the GP I saw/and talked to was not in and wouldnt be in until Thursday and no-one else would be dealing with this in her absence! I have left a message and will just have to wait I guess.

Breathing deeply though!

Lynnette xx

sheena2202

Hello to all of you. I found this site on google and after reading I have a few questions for you. Let me explain my situation.

I found a lump in my breast 2 years ago and went to get it checked. The dr said that he felt it, and could see it. He sent me to get a mammo and U/S. afetr getting those he said that I have dense breasts and nothing showed up. He said that because of my age (23 at the time) and the fact that I was in severe pain meant that it was nothing to worry about. I thought that was great at first. The pain and lump continued to get worse and larger. I went to cali to the st. jude breast center in july of 07 to get it checked again. And again the same thing happened so I pretty much gave up. About 3 weeks ago I just could not deal with the pain anymore so I went to the dr.

I am now in Florida and the dr seems real nice. While doing the exam he found five lumps in my right breast and 3 in my left. This made me very nervous being that I only new of one and no other dr had mentioned more to me. So he sent me to get a mammo and u/s. I went yesterday to get this done. After a very painful day the tech cam back ond told me that while doing the u/s she could feel herself rolling over the lumps but they did not show. The mammo also showed nothing.

I am going to call my dr. wednesday to find out what he wants to do. My question's for you guys : Should I request a breast mri (as suggested by the u/s tech) or should I request to see a breast surgeon? Also should I be more worried? I am so young and it seems to be getting worse and all I can do is scream silently.

Sorry for being so winded. ANy help would be great. Thanks in advance

Sheena

ForumMember

Ah.......hope he's ok.

I doubt she has forgotten but you are one of many with problems.......as we all are when we are in the midst of angst. Ring her.

Sheana x

poppyjasper

DS Darling Son - sorry for shorthand! I might just do that tbh, getting worried that she has forgotten about it over the weekend...

Lynnette x

ForumMember

Who is DS?? Give the GP a call this afternoon, so what if you get on their nerves...it's your health that you are concerned with.

Sheana x

poppyjasper

Sheana - I really thought I would have an alien style dream last night hehe (didnt though!) Still not heard from anyone re appointment, but I am reluctanct to do much about it for fear of upsetting someone! I was at the doctors this am with DS (pneumonia apparantly!!) and the doctor I saw was not in her office at all so not sure whether she is working today...

Will have to mull it over and might call this afternoon to see what is what!

Lynnette x

poppyjasper

If you still arent happy and the lump is still there then you should go back to your GP, it probably is nothing (as mine will probably turn out to be nothing) but unless we are sure we arent going to be able to relax are we? TBH it's all I dream about most nights and when the house is quiet (which is not much here at the moment as kids are ill) it is all I think about. I am sure you are the same too so please go to the GP and get referred again - then let us know how you get on! Best of luck to you x

ForumMember

I just want to say thanks to everyone on here who has posted. I found this site on a google search. i'm mid-thirties and about 4 months ago I felt a very pronounced lump near the top of my right breast. I immediately went in for an appointment where my gp felt it and sent me for an ultrasound and mammogram, both of which turned up "clear" but I was told I have very dense breasts. The lump is still prevalent and I've been waiting and debating on what to do. I have decided, after reading this thread, to call my gp again tomorrow and go in for another visit. She had told me to wait until December and come back, but frankly, I just can't wait that long and feel OK with things. I hope it's nothing, and breast cancer does not run in my family (thankfully), but it just feels different. I guess I don't know what a lump is supposed to feel like and from my internet searches, this isn't a common place for lump, but I'm still concerned.

Best wishes to you all!

ForumMember

Hi Lynette,

Mondays are always busy for GP's after the weekend so maybe you will hear tomorrow. Give them a ring towards the end of surgery if you don't hear anything.

I am sure your imagination is playing tricks on you......it won't be any bigger at all. You will think you are like John Hurt in Alien next....you know when the yukky thing smashes through his chest and comes out to play! I'm glad you are leaving Google alone too because you won't find your exact case on there and the old imagination will kick in again. Patience my dear....patience.

I'm ok thank you........just waiting on my two boys to come home from school and shatter my peace!

Sheana x

poppyjasper

Ah fiddle (as my youngest would say!) the doctor hasnt called yet to let me know what's what with the appointment! Dont want to bug anyone so not calling today, I really will have to leave it a few days.

In the mean time I am positive that it is getting bigger, bra fitting even worse on that side now! Still leaving google alone but I am desperate to find out what this could be in terms of benign conditions. Come on hospital appointment hehe just want to get it all over and done with. 'Til then I am trying to keep as busy as I can...
I hope you are keeping well, Sheana (and everyone else reading this too)

Lynnette xx

ForumMember

Hi Lynette,

Just stay calm and keep in touch xxxx

poppyjasper

Hi Sheana,

Having someone who understands and who has a level head about it has been immensely helpful. I guess that given the time, the GP hasnt had time to sort anything for me as I havent heard back. Never mind, now I have to just put it to bed like you said. Have to figure out how to wrangle it into it's filing box and shut the lid. Definately still a lot calmer than yesterday, maybe partly due to calling the hospital and GP to try and sort something out for myself rather than passively waiting and letting them decide for me without at least letting them know how that was affecting me iykwim.

I'll say it again Sheana you are a godsend, I wish I was able to repay you somehow but I cant see how I might be able to help you in return.

Lynnette xx

ForumMember

Hi Lynette,

I didn't mean to give you a 'talking to' as such, I wanted to just try and get you to slow down......stop your mind, because I could sense your panic.

I understand of course but wanted to give you the benefit of what I have learned from my experience. I'm glad that I helped you and that some good has come out of what I have been through!

Try and put everything in a box for the weekend....get it down again on Monday if you get news of your appointment, if not, leave it on that shelf in your head until you have to retreive it again.

Sheana x

poppyjasper

thanks sheana, will keep you posted if I hear anything although that might well be Monday at the earliest. At least I know that I will get the earliest appointment they are willing to offer me rather than just blindly waiting. Feeling much calmer (although was devastated at the date!) today, thanks for the talking to yesterday!!

Lynnette x

ForumMember

That sounds better. I'm not from your area so can't help you on Mr Holt......sorry.

Sheana x

poppyjasper

Yep, I called the hospital again and managed to get hold of the consultant's secretary's telephone number so gave her a call. She said that she cant do anything unless the GP contacts them but that I could give my GP her number. Called GP and she said she will try to call this afternoon but she is on call so she may not manage it til monday. However she is happy to call to request them to move the appointment. Fingers crossed eh? Consultant is Mr S Holt, anyone heard anything about him?

ForumMember

Thats no good, get on to them.........would your GP be able to do anything?

Sheana x

poppyjasper

ARGGHH Called the hospital and they have me booked in for 4th November which is ages. Not only that but they dont even have me booked into breast screening!! I am on the general breast list! Good news is that it is on a different consultant's list. Got to call back this afternoon to see if we can bring it forward using Choose and Book, but not hopeful.

ForumMember

Hi Lynette,

Come on here or P/M me anytime you feel the panic rising.

You are on a rollercoaster ride at the moment so you will be all over the place until you have some definite answers. It's perfectly natural for you to be like that so don't be surprised if you wobble again. Just try and remember to stop your thoughts racing ahead because you cannot predict the outcome of this episode.......if there is one thing I have learnt in my experience with breast cancer, it's that.

And you are right in saying going on the internet is not worth it......the internet has many pluses but as the old saying goes, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. You will have picked up from this site alone that there are many different scenarios with different outcomes etc so you won't know anything until you are actually seen by the experts yourself. The internet can't possibly take into account all the different lumps, bumps, thickening, cysts etc that are in womens boobs that mean many different conditions.....cancer only being one of them.

Let me know what the hospital say tomorrow and we'll thrash it out! One step at a time Lynette.

Sheana x

poppyjasper

Sheana you are a godsend you really are. I am feeling a lot calmer now, what panicked me was that I couldnt find any benign conditions matching the thickening I have, but I am totally going to stop. Really. It's not worth it but I might call the hospital tomorrow to see if they have a record of the appointment and to ask them to make it as early as possible. I will keep coming on here but I am trying to avoid going on the other sections as those are obviously for those who know what their condition is and not only would I be of no help to anyone, I would feel a bit of a fraud tbh. I dont have many real questions as such, my mind is a muddle but I am definately going to fill my mind with "I will be fine" "I am not ill" and that might help stop me panicking. Oh and I am going to try to get stuck into the new Marian Keyes that my friend loaned to me last week!

Thank you so much for the offer of a call, if I start to spiral into a panic again expect a PM!!

thanks again Sheana.....right better get started on these lines or I wont get done in time for bed!!

Lynnette xx

ForumMember

Hi,

Good idea, 200 lines will keep you going for a bit!

You haven't gone on at all, it's totally understandable. When you going on the internet you are trying to find the answer to your symptoms but as you said, all you find is bad stuff so don't do it .It becomes quite addictive but it really does no good at all. Talking to us ladies on here is the best thing and those deep breaths help too.

If you want to actually talk to me, I don't mind at all and will give you my number if you want to, just private message me.

Sheana x

poppyjasper

Breathing deeply! thanks. It is just feeling helpless, perhaps getting the kids back to school will help - I havent been able to set foot out the door today and it has made it a really really long day! Will do better tomorrow. So sorry to have gone on, will try not to trawl the net was trying to find benign conditions with my symptoms to no avail, but the internet is stocked up with stuff which is bad. MUST NOT READ...perhaps I should make myself do 200 lines of that hehe.

Thanks you guys xx

ForumMember

Hi there,

Try and calm down Poppy......take a deep breath or two and try and chill a bit. I totally understand how you feel and it's not easy but, at this moment in time, there's nothing you can do. I said to you before that I find not knowing the hardest part but as I said, you can do nothing at the moment so you have to work hard at distracting yourself and stopping your mind from racing away.

Perhaps stick to this site and don't go trawling around any others. You will find information that may not be relevant and will just give you more food for thought. It can't be easy at all with sick little ones but do your best sweetie.

Sheana x

poppyjasper

I know what you mean, I am so tired of waiting for the appointment and I have only been waiting since Monday this time. Unfortunately I am not being seen on the urgent list this time which is gutting, but like you said they probably have far more urgent cases to deal with (hopefully! OMG that sounds so selfish but I guess you will know what I mean) it's the not knowing which is hard and it feels like I have been waiting longer because I already waited for an appointment but didnt get investigated properly, if I had been then I would be waiting for a biopsy result instead, I think it's partly the knowledge that I am waiting for an appt then will have to wait to be seen, then talk the doc into a biopsy, then wait for results before I know what I am dealing with. I also know that this is the same for everyone and I feel for everyone else in the same situation too xx

I will try to find a number for the clinic tomorrow, the GPs here book your appointment for you then send you out a password so you can change it if you want to. So i have no details at all to call up with, which is why I havent tried yet. Maybe then i will sleep and be able to eat a whole meal.

See there I go again, it's like a loop - I felt so much better having seen the GP and with her being so supportive I kinda felt like I was in control again to some extent and now I feel helpless.

Heidi - thank you for your kind words and best of luck on the 14th, I hope you manage to stay calmer than me! xx

Heidi1

No need to apologise, we've all been there, and I can honestly say that the waiting is the worst part. I'm keeping a cool head so far but know that it wont last for long. When I go to the hospital on the 14th Oct to see my surgeon and have to wait for biopsy results (assuming thats the road I go down again) I too will be finding it very hard to keep my composure and will probably do some ranting of my own! lol

Do you know the clinic you have been reffered to?? if so I would contact them and see if they have you down. Where I live they have started a new proceedure, you get a form with a password from the GP, they email the hospital, and you ring up and make a mutually agreeable appointment. Seems to work quite well and had my appnt made for around 3 weeks later. Seems quite a while to wait but given my history I dont think its unreasonable, sure they have more urgent cases to deal with, like yours!

I would definatley try giving the clinic a call if not to get an appnt, then to make sure that they are aware you are waiting for one!

Really wish you luck with this, try not to read too much, I think you are witnessing the effects this has on you mentally, I really tortured myself the last time, and I was fine all along!!

Heidi xx

poppyjasper

I am having a very bad day today not helped by having to deal with two sick (viral!) children the last two days. I am so frustrated that I still havent received an appointment through for the breast clinic and I dont think there is anyone I can call to chase it either! I still cant get it out of my mind and due to being house bound with sick kids I havent been able to distract myself either. Which just means that this week is dragging more than I ever thought possible. I could cry tbh. I am so worried but keep looking on the internet which doesnt help - can see lots of reasons for benign distinct lumps but no real explanations for a new palpable thickening on one side which doesnt just go away (this has been noticably different for a couple of months now) but it also seems to be the reason a lot of people are dismissed by breast clinics as the cause can be harder to find?? Not sure if I am getting this right but this is why I need to see the surgeon again - and GP said no 2ww this time even though she clearly was worried and wanted to send me asap. I am so worried that if there is something there to worry about it could be getting worse each day and it could be weeks before I see anyone. Just wish I knew when that was likely to be !!

So sorry to rant, I am soooo frustrated and I am terrified too.

Alison44

They had grown from probably 1 that was half a centimeter to two lumps one over 3 cm I think !
Must get ready for work now!!!!

And the word passive makes me think about my attitude - again thanks to excellent care (finally on NHS different hospital) I am fine now

Alison44

This may sound crazy but how can it happen that specialists scanners etc um and ah about lumps in breasts - I kept thinking afterwards how passive I was about my lumps not being biopsied/removed - if it was on my big toe I would have insisted on having it removed !!!!!!!!!!!

Alison44

Also my top consultant who I saw privately (after being really messed around by one hospital who refused to acknowledge my lumps until they had spread) said that his practice was to remove lumps and do a biopsy - so it is practice for some consultants to do that it is not being fussy by us women - I am sooooooooooooo angry but ok health wise now so pleased I found my wonderful consultant (and oncologist).

dawnhc

Alison said:

"Hi - I think it is so brave to confront your fears, I wish I hadn't walked away from being told my lump/s were fine and benign when they weren't but I think I wasn't brave enough to get a second opinion I was just so relieved to be told I was well and fine !!!!!"

This is what makes it so hard for us - we all want to hear those words - it's benign, it's nothing to worry about! We are at our most vulnerable at that point and we are so relieved that all the worst things we feared are 'nothing to worry about'. But then come the niggles - and these forums do make us aware that mistakes are made and that is hard to handle. How do we know we are not being hypochondriacs? I don't know - but I do know if we have doubts we must pursue them as calmly and as determinedly as we can. Through my 18 years with breast cancer I have had to fight for what I believed to be right and it has not been easy to argue with the experts. When my ca came back after 5 years in a breast hard from radiation it took me 14 weeks to convince the oncologists that there was something there - I persevered, but it was spreading rapidly and they finally believed me. When 3 years later it was in the other breast - after an inconclusive fine needle biopsy my surgeon wanted another one and as he was off on hols he handed me over to his sidekick. Further fna done and I return to be told that is fine - it is benign see you in another 6 months. I don't think so! I had a bad history of bc so knew it was not good, and growing rapidly. So i stood my ground and insisted on mastectomy. They sent me to the psychologist who thought they were the ones that were mad LOL. Well it's all water under the bridge now. I even go so wound up about it at the time that I went on Womans Hour and talked about how important it is to pursue things if you have doubts. Poppy I like your GPs attitude. Sorry if I have gone on a bit but I think our lives are too important to mess with.

dawnhc

poppyjasper

When agreeing with me about getting sent to the hospital again my GP asked if I would like to see a different consultant this time, I said yes as I didnt think he would be best pleased with me questioning his judgement. My GP's words were "it isnt a question of keeping the doctors happy more a case of you being happy with what you are told and being able to believe it" she doesnt think it is wrong to need a more definate answer. I really do wish that all consultants just did the triple test.

varmint

Hi - Thank you! I also have a lump that the sonographer says is "nothing". I waited 10 weeks to see a consultant then fortunatly had a cancellation for the mammo and scan 2 weeks later but I'm still non the wiser. All I know is mammo showed lots of "something or other tissue" (they are quite lumpy anyway) and the scan showed a few small cysts nothing to be bothered with, he muttered as though I was wasting everyones time being there ( on the same note the mammo lady was wonderful), I was told the consultant may or may not want to see me but either way it will be up to three weeks wait. But there is a lump and it's not a "small cyst" and I know he found it because he stopped, went over it a few times and messed with his buttons!!! So after reading a couple of similar threads on here I no longer feel a fraud for simply wanting to know whats what!

So once again thank you and good luck to you all xxx

Alison44

Hi - I think it is so brave to confront your fears, I wish I hadn't walked away from being told my lump/s were fine and benign when they weren't but I think I wasn't brave enough to get a second opinion I was just so relieved to be told I was well and fine !!!!!

Also I have read that something like one in four benign lumps can turn cancerous - I wish I had my lump removed when it was tiny even if it was benign !

poppyjasper

you're welcome!

ForumMember

Lol........why thank you!

poppyjasper

Very nicely said Sheana, thanks x If I dont get it right this time then I will just have to take you with me lol

ForumMember

Hi,

I think you just need to explain to him that since your last appointment you have obtained more information on breast cancer experiences from patients who have gone through various tests and procedures and it has left you feeling extremely anxious that a definite result wasn't obtained.

You can explain what we have described to you and that from your research, the only way of being absolutely sure is to have a core biopsy done of the area you are worried about. Insist that this is done. You are not in a position to gamble or take chances with your life and you will not be happy until you know for sure what....and hopefully not.....you are dealing with.

Sheana x

poppyjasper

Thanks Heidi, I know that esp at my age the chances are good that it is nothing to worry about so my fingers are crossed (toes too hehe). It's the waiting I cant stand and I am annoyed still with the consultant for not doing a biopsy at the first appointment but dismissing it all out of hand! If any of you all have any tips/hints or questions I should ask i would be grateful for any advice!

I hope that your new lump turns out to be harmless too Heidi, good luck x

Heidi1

Hi there Lynette,

Sorry to barge in like this, I just wanted to share my experience with you, which is more positive than alot of the wonderful ladies on this site.

I've had a total of 3 lumps removed. Now got a 4th so here we go again!!

I had ultrasound, mam, core biopsy, and the lumpectomy on all 3 previous lumps, the latest 2 I had done (one in each breast) in one go in one operation if you like. My news was good news, Fibroadenoma. Though what you describe is thickening, I had definate lumps so I cant really draw comparison to your case in that respect. What I guess I'm trying to say is that its not always doom and gloom, they may be light at the end of the tunnel for you yet.

I wish you the very best of luck, I truly hope you get the good news that I had a year ago, and hope to get again this time around. Take care, and keep on at em til you get the result you need. If it means an operation, have it done, because belie
ve me, when they take the tissue away and test it all, there's no getting away from it!

Heidi xxx

Tracy1961

Good luck Lynette, please let us know as soon as you hear anything. I hope you don't have to wait too long for an appointment.

Tracy xxx

ForumMember

Hi Lynette,

I hope the appointment comes quickly too but at least you are making progress in sorting everything out. You are right to try and stay positive and do your best to stop your mind racing away. Keep busy, which having 3 children won't be difficult! Lots of distractions and treats are the order of the day.

When I was dx I remember thinking that all I wanted was 10 years so I would see my boys become men. I made a will making sure that they would get all my assets and their dad wouldn't get his paws on it to be honest! I made my brother executor so he will look after things until they are old enough.......it sounds horrific to talk like this but it actually gave me great comfort.

Anyway, 2.5 years on and I'm well...touch wood......and no reason to think it won't continue.

Take care of yourself and let me know when you get your appointment,

Sheana x

poppyjasper

Sheana I am so pleased that things sound like they are looking up for you with finding a new man etc, it sounds like you have had a really tough time of it. The responsibility of having 3 children is what is making me more determined that I get a proper investigation and firm proven diagnosis. I dont want to leave something which has the potential to develop into something much harder to treat iykwim.

Thank you so much for your support, I am trying to be positive but I am very like you in that I am of the opinion that it's better the devil you know. Just hope the appointment comes through quickly.

Lynnette x

ForumMember

Hi Lynnette,

Don't be so hard on yourself. You are bound to have the whole thing in your head.......you are obviously an intelligent person who is aware of possible consequences of having cancer so you will naturally feel full of dread until you know one way or the other. I am a person who hates not knowing something....if I know what the problem etc is, I can get on with it and cope as best I can. Not knowing is horrendous and my mind goes into overdrive so you aren't alone.

You have a little girl who you are responsible for so that adds to all the pressure. I am a single parent and my two boys were 14 and 11 when I was dx so it was a nightmare of a time......my dad also became ill too and actually died the week after my first chemo so it's fair to say it was a rough time. But that was Feb 06 and here we are knocking on the door of October 2008 and I'm here to tell my tale. My boys are good really but having two teenagers isn't all sunshine but we do ok. I met a nice man 18 months ago and I feel I have a future again after some hard times so cancer hasn't spoiled my life at all. I get down days like everyone else but on the whole things are pretty good.

So whatever the outcome think positively....keep talking to your new friends on here and you will be fine.

Sheana x

poppyjasper

I will do, and thank you to all of you. I feel like an absolulte idiot but I cant get the whole thing out of my head and it's not like I have any kind of diagnosis either so dont really have any valid reason to feel so down and worried do I? I cant stop thinking about it no matter how hard I try, and I am even dreaming about the consultant refusing to do the triple test, or the results being bad. I have to try to stop thinking about it, but not sure how. Daughters 6th birthday tomorrow, really have to snap out of it!

Lynnette x