Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

surgeon felt lump but ultrasound clear

123 REPLIES 123
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: surgeon felt lump but ultrasound clear

Ok well a little update.... I have to go in for another US to take a focused look at the area of concern. They are hoping that the mass will show up on US so I do not have to have an MRI guided Biopsy. So i am hoping to get that done on Friday and then if I need the MRI guided we have to wait til the 7-15 day of my cycle, which i still do not really understand, but whatever. Thank you all for your kind words and for the support. You are all little blessings for me.

Oh ya I go to the dr tomorrow for the Breast Cancer Gene test. Have any of you gotten that done? And if so, how long does it take for results?

Guest user
Not applicable

Sheena, so pleased that you pushed to get the MRI. My fingers are crossed that you get a positive outcome from the biopsy now.

Thinking of you x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Sheena,

If cysts aren't suspected then the next step (if it is the same as in the UK) should be to have biopsies taken and this might be done by being guided to the area involved using either an ultrasound machine or a mammogram. A local anaesthetic is usually used so it shouldn't be painful.

I understand what you mean about not knowing how to feel about the results but at least you will soon find out what the mass is. I hope everything will be okay for you. I have heard that MRIs do give out false positive results so keep on hoping for the best whilst keeping in the back of your mind that it could be bc. Thing is, even if it is bc, all you can do is have the treatment and worrying is not going to change the outcome of any tests.

Good on you though for being assertive enough to push until you got the MRI. One thing I would say is that you do need to have faith in the medical staff treating you so, if you don't, maybe you should consider changing your doctor or your hospital.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a happy outcome for you.

Guest user
Not applicable

Ok well after waiting over a week I finally got my report. I got tired of waiting for the dr to call me so I went to the hospital and picked up the report and films......the result is a 2.6cm mass in my right breast (upper inner quadrant). It does not appear to be a cyst according to the report. Now I have to wait for my dr to call me to explain what to do next. So much for her telling me there is nothing there. Not really sure how I feel about these results. Part of me is happy that they finally found the problem, and the other part of me is terrified that it is breast cancer. What would any of you suggest as the next step? So that I can start pushing and screaming at my doc to do it.

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks Sheena, and good luck to you too. I will pop back on here to see how you get on.

Fingers are crossed for you
xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello all,

Sorry I know it has been a while. I have been busy with dr appts, not to mention i am a room mommy at my sons school. So......here goes

I took your advise and went to a breast surgeon in Miami. I was completly unhappy with her. She started out on a bad note and told me that due to my age it is nothing (24). I was instantly peeved. Then she said she would tak a look anyway. Well she meant that literally. She only looked. Afetr a long morning of arguing with her I finally got her to give me a script for a Breast MRI. I did that last week. I am hoping to have the results back on Tuesday. Also, thanks to my husband and his wonderful employer (US Dept Of State) I have an appt to get the breast cancer genetic test done on the 6th of November. And lucky for me my insurance will pay for this genetic test because of my lack of diagnosis so far.....thank goodness since it is a 4000 dollar test. I am also going to the Hemotologist to get my blood work done just incase I need any Biopsy or what not. I have to do this cause I have Von Wilebrands Disease ( kind of like hemophelia but not as severe). So that is where we stand with me.

Lynette~ Congrats on the great news. Best of luck to you.

Guest user
Not applicable

haha thanks Sheana, you'd make a good therapist. Would love to be your guest.

Take care xx

ForumMember

Sadly, the door is always open.........if you get my drift?! But please come in as a guest of mine, not a member of the BC club......xxxxxxxxx

Sheana....aka Lynette's therapist.

Guest user
Not applicable

Take care Lynette, of course you must come and see us, xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

I will, thank you all so much. You really are a huge help. I will keep checking myself, but perhaps will manage not to panic like a loon if I find anything again. I will pop in from time to time if that would be ok?

All the best to you all, I wish I could be of help to you the way you have to me

xxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Congratulations Lynette!!!

Its great to hear good news and fantastic that you won't be joining the BC lot! Hope you will still keep in touch, enjoy your life as everyone has said, keep checking yourself and keep looking forwards, xxxx

ForumMember

Hi Lynette,

I've been hanging around here like a pervert in a park...........fantastic news!!!!!
I really am so pleased for you Lynette, it's fantastic to hear a good result after all your worrying. Excellent. I'm glad we all helped on this site.........maybe just made it all a little bit more bearable.

Put it all behind you now and go and enjoy life.

lots of love,

Sheana x

dawnhc

Hi Lynnette,

So pleased for you - it has been an experience you don't want to repeat!!! I think we all find the waiting so hard. Enjoy the rest of your life 🙂

Dawn
xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Is was great news, apparantly I have fibroadenomoid disease or something so she said (it was a fibroadenoma apparantly) and she said that it should just go away by itself over the next year or so and to go back straight away if anything else changed.

So relieved obviously. Thank you, thank you and thank you again to everyone who has been on here being supportive. I honestly do not know how I would have got through the worry without you (Sheana especially.)

Lynnette xxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

good luck for tomorrow!!! fingers crossed that its good news!!!

Guest user
Not applicable

Will be on as soon as I can after I find out! They have all said that it is not in my head, even when the US was clear, but it is hard to not feel guilty. Given that, I am willing to bet they would rather give good news than bad, so things being well they will be looking forward to dealing with me lol. They do make you feel a bit of a nuisance though even when they can feel the problem too - I think she had decided what the problem was before examining me last time though and was surprised to find anything on the ultrasound - she was definately nicer the second time I went in to see her!

Fingers so crossed!

Lynnette xx

ForumMember

I hope it never happens again Lynette but if it does, you must treat it as as a first every time. You haven't made all this up...the radiographer saw something and a biopsy was taken. You have been totally right in your actions so stop feeling guilty!

Let me know how it goes tomorrow,

Sheana x

Guest user
Not applicable

Well I only have one more day to go until the consultant lets me know the results. I am back on "yeah it'll be normal" but (as I am sure everyone does!) have been worried sick! Who knows, I might have some more wobbles before the news! Trying really hard to be as positive as I can and for the most part I have managed it. Just hope this never happens again as I wouldnt know whether to go to the docs or not, I mean if this turns out to be "normal" then do I go to the GP with every new problem, or just leave it as it is probably all due to the same problem? Then if my breasts keep getting thicker/lumpy with a benign condition then how would I know if I had a more serious problem?

SO sorry to be a pain waffling on again, it is the only place I can "talk" about this.

L xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Thank you for your support it is much appreciated! Just passing time until Tuesday afternoon, as I know we all have to...

I will keep self-checking although this does then pose the question of what I should flag up as the really do seem a bit off with me at the hospital as if I am a waste of time - just goes to show I am not though when there is a mass on the US that wasnt spotted 2 weeks previously!

I wish you all, all the best

Lynnette

dotchas

Lynette,

Just want to wish you luck,it all sounds very good so far,my radiologist said that mine looked malignant on US ,no doubts! So fingers crossed for you!
Best wishes and hugs
Dot
x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Lynnette,

Just catching up with how your appt went through this thread. Glad that you managed to get them to take some biopsies and hopefully whatever the outcome next week you'll be able to find some confidence again in their diagnosis and your health. Even if it be good news keep on keeping on with the self checking etc and be a pain about every little lump (as you know I ignored my lump's changes for a while thinking it was as before). If its not good news then your persistence means that you can start getting treated and you'll get through it with the support of the ladies here.

Kate, x

Guest user
Not applicable

I am keeping busy thankfully that is easy round here! My son is back to school tomorrow thankfully so to keep me out of the housework but busy I am going to toddlers - minus any children as my youngest will be at nursery by then! Luxury watching everyone else run after their kids while I sit with a coffee and gossip heehee xx

ForumMember

Course it is Lynette.........I've been there, got the t-shirt.....blah....blah......time will pass, just keep busy. We've said before that not knowing is the worst bit..x

Guest user
Not applicable

Sheana - please dont feel bad it was tongue in cheek! Tone of voice doesnt carry well on here does it? I know I shouldnt look and even if I found something reliable I guess I wouldnt know or understand it properly. I will find out in a week and that's that.

Tracy - too late I just soaked the dressing off - there are no steri-strips just a dressing and the adhesive irritates my skin. It hurts but I dont think I will do too much tomorrow - just hard isnt it with three little ones and 2 dogs!!

It's just hard to be in the dark isnt it?

Lynnette xx

tracylouisa

Hi poppyjasper,

Hope you don`t mind me butting in you should leave the steri strips on for about a week and you should take it easy i didn`t and made mine bleed again so don`t try to do to much and take painkillers when you need it will hurt for a while i had two lots done at once so was in lots of pain had mine done about four weeks ago and sometimes get sharp pains in it but not to bad. good luck with it all take care.

Tracy xx

ForumMember

Now you've made me feel horrible...... 😞

look if you want sweetie.......xxxxxxxxx

Sheana x

Guest user
Not applicable

I wont, sorry. It was just a moment of weakness while I was looking for information on when I can remove the dressing on the biopsy wound.

I wont go on there again guv, honest!

I hope you are keeping well.

Lynnette xx

ForumMember

Grrrrrrrr............Lynette, what are we going to do with you????

I do understand though honestly, but..........a little knowledge and all that crap. I don't mean to put a downer on the information you found but........well, you know what I mean. You don't know enough about the subject to judge that what he said is the same as the information you have read. I really hope it is and it may well be but stay away from Google!!!!!

Sheana x

Guest user
Not applicable

Dont shout but I have been googling again... I discovered why the radiologist said he thinks it is benign, the mass was horizontal and most malignant masses/lumps are vertical (so lots of sites say) so that is really good I think. I do think they use fibrocystic changes to cover a multitude of sins though as the symptoms listed on all the sites are nothing like mine so go figure!!

Hurts a bit today so dont know if I should have been trying to be careful and I did too much housework(no-one said I should) but I am sore now. Off to do the second tea-time for the day (OH doesnt finish til 7 so I have to feed the kids seperate, which really sucks) be on again later

Lynnette xx

ForumMember

I am really pleased to have helped and that you are feeling positive and glad that you persevered. As you said, the next 7 days won't be the easiest that you have been through but very necessary........now you know for sure that you didn't imagine that you felt something and that action has been taken. This had to be done.

I will be here to support you whenever you need it so don't hesitate to ask. I understand what you are going through so will always try and help, even if it's getting you to calm down or whatever is needed at that time.

Take care and talk soon,

Sheana x

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks Sheana, I have to say I feel more relieved now than since this all started (if a bit sore hehe) but like you said I will know one way or the other in 7days. I know that since they found something on the US this time they know what I am talking about and that they are testing what I can feel. If it comes back negative then I can have confidence that the diagnosis will be acurate.

Thank you so much for urging me to go back I am pleased I did and pleased that i badgered them into seeing me sooner too as I would still be worrying. This next week I am sure will be stressful, but right now I am feeling quite positive.

I am off to have wine.....mmmmmmm

Thanks Sheana this has been a lot easier with your support x

Lynnette x

ForumMember

Well, what do I think...........I don't know but like you said, now they have seen the area you were concerned about and I'm glad that biopsies were taken. That's what was needed for you to know for sure what if anything, is going on.......it's the only, definite way.

I think Miss Asme's attitude is poor, with this apparant inflexibility in her approach. She should know that there are no rules in breast cancer and that anyone with anything a bit unusual should have a mammogram/ultrasound/biopsies done regardless of age. I'm very relieved the radiologist decided to take action otherwise you would have gained nothhing from your consultation.

Now of course, you are worring like crazy as to what will or won't show up. But, this is what you wanted.......you wanted more tests done so you can deal with what you have or haven't got to do next. She obviously is confident that it's nothing to worry about and you have to trust her judgement but the results of the biopsy will confirm that one way or the other........then you will be able to move on.

So Lynette, try and keep calm.....you have done well lately so keep that up. It will be tough waiting for the results but it will be worth it either way.......either you will have nothing to worry about or in the unlikely event that it is something nasty, your perseverance will have paid off.

Sheana x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Sheana, just got in.

Well I saw Miss Asme, and she said that she felt I had fibrocystic changes but that they would re-do the ultrasound to be certain as she didnt have the full report from last time (she said that with fibrocystic changes you can see lots of tiny cysts in the tissue. She said no to FNA and that biopsy was def not needed. She said that since I was concerned then she would ask the radiologist if it was worth doing a mamo although she didnt usu do this under age 35. I went into the US and the radiologist found something, he said that there was an area of different texture and he would like to biopsy it. It looked quite big on the screen but I dont know what the actual size is. He said he thought it was benign, there was no real edge to it as such it was just kinda grainy. He took 3 core biopsies. I went in to see the consultant again and she still felt that it was harmless and there was no point in a mamo. She is going to call me next week with the results.

SO what do you think? I actually feel better knowing that they have seen what it is that is worrying me and that they have taken some tissue, and they still feel it is benign.

Lynnette xxx

ForumMember

Well Lynette............how did it go?

Guest user
Not applicable

right I am starting to... got that I researched it and US doesnt always show stuff up, that area has been there for some time and is obviously not going anywhere so want biopsy to make sure nothing serious goes undetected, that some more recent changes could well be hormonal but made more apparant due to thickening ie NOT what I went to docs for! Might also put that I would like to know what benign conditions it is likely to be...but i still want that biopsy!!

might have to write this up in good though as orange crayon doesnt look too professional hehe

ForumMember

Why don't you write it down? Go on....find a bit of paper...........one of the kids crayons........and get writing.

Sheana x

Guest user
Not applicable

well I am not doing well on the "trying not to think about it " front. Not sure what I was going to say to consultant now! Sometimes I even amaze myself with how scatterbrained I can be! I am a bag of nerves!

ForumMember

Ok, I'm dismissed then!!! Talk to you tomorrow Lynette.

I'll be thinking about you xxxxxxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

how rude hahahahahaha

not sure I want to work that one out, looks insulting!!

I guess I should go clean something, I havent done much lately what with little ones being ill and then I was too but since everyone is pretty much better I dont have much of an excuse! AH FIDDLE!

Will let you know how I get on tomorrow afternoon,

Lynnette xx

ForumMember

yhgfoiuvhfoiscuhnuihcuh!!!!

Work that out smartarse!

Guest user
Not applicable

thanks, thought I would pass on your great advice it really helps.

ForumMember

Ive just posted on the thread you were on........where you said not to Google anything. Well done....!!

Sheana x

Guest user
Not applicable

Sheana,

oops sorry forum/text speak for If You Know What I Mean and if you see IYSWIM substitute the "know" for "see"

Sorry, my much younger sister-in-laws have converted me to text talk on msn!

Got some more if you are up for a lesson: pmsl (P*** MySelf Laughing) rolf (Rolls on floor Laughing)

HAHAHA loony bin is about right I think, but not sure I would ever get out!

Lynnette

ForumMember

Lynette,

What the hell is 'iykwim'??? You did it before but I let it go.......enough is enough!! Tell me what it means????? Start doing that tomorrow and you will be down the loony bin never mind the breast clinic.......

Sheana x

Guest user
Not applicable

Calm - obsessed - but calm haha. I think I might be even more obsessive and make some notes of what I want to say so I dont forget anything/chicken out!

Gawd I am nervous, but I am confident that it will all be alright. The surgeon has changed the clinc to see me at so that is reassuring in that he is obviously not just planning to have a 10 min chat and send me straight home iykwim.

This forum is great tbh i dont know what I would have done without you all xxxxx

ForumMember

Hi Lynette,

Have to agree with Ostrich.......don't let him get his paws on you before you have explained, fully, your concerns. Tell him about what we have all told you on here and that you will only be reassured if a biopsy is done.

Glad to hear that you are still staying relatively calm....that's my girl.

Sheana x

Guest user
Not applicable

good idea ostrich, thanks. x

Guest user
Not applicable

Best of luck for tomorrow Lynnette. I'd say make sure you talk to him and that he listens to what has been going on BEFORE you let him anywhere near your breasts so that he isn't just working on a doctor's referral or immediately assumes what you've come about by touching. Say you'd like to explain your concerns and breasts to him first then let him at them so to speak. Then you can ask him questions after the examination about the thickening, his thoughts on the lump etc.

x

Guest user
Not applicable

Starting to get nervous now, again hehe. Also dont think it is the best time of the month for it...I am coming up to my monthlies and my breast are a bit lumpy and tender (as are most peoples!) right now. I also have a new lump which I think is to do with monthy but pushed up by thickening and I dont want him to think that is what I am worried about or to miss the real issue as a result of it. Do you think that if he knows what he is doing he will be able to look beyond that? God what a mess I get myself in! Still, I am lots better than I have been in the past !![Sheana breathes a sigh of relief lol] Roll on tomorrow night, with any luck most of the worry will be over.

Lynnette x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hey Heidi,

I will be thinking of you too while I am in the waiting room, and my fingers will be crossed for both of us.

We will have to compare notes!! Not going to the chesterfield Royal by any chance are you lol we could have got coffee!

Good luck to you too

Lynnette xxx