surgery has gone wrong & im finding this difficult

hi everyone,

please bear with me if i ramble on but this is all a bit much. i have faulty brca2 so after 2 years of consideration and dealing with things i had a double mastectomy and recon from my stomach in feb this year. i originally didnt want recon straightaway but was heavily influenced by surgeons who always told me as i was only 32yrs old it would be better as often women are affected at having nothing? i was also told my hubby may accept my body more if breasts were there. i listened and after being told i would get a better cosmetic look with immediate recon i went ahead with it.The 1st few weeks i felt elated i thought they looked great and i was the happiest person ever and felt that i could move on knowing that risk was away but i had liked how i looked. 2 weeks later i had to have abcess’s cut out both breasts and now 5 months later i am booked in for skin grafts as the breasts arent healing. i have had the same staph aereus infection since feb and yesterday my surgeon said there was no reason for my own skin not to grow so feels the grafts may not work but needs to take that risk but if it fails the full op will be reversed and the skin will be pulled over and i will have nothing.this has taken its toll on everything. i find im so stressed everyday and snapping at the kids. also my relationship with hubby is definately suffering where i feel i cant be bothered anymore.xx

Oh dear poor you,and i was moaning and worrying about my Diep !You are also my Daughters age,all my girls plus myself hav been geneticly tested and I dont carry the bc gene.But all 3 girls said they would have what you had if it had turned out positive.You are coping much better than you proberly realise,but I know how elated you must hav been to see the new replacements because I was as id had a chicken fillet stuck in my bra for 10 years.I almost went along your path as I got an infection and blood clot and was going to reopened for a wash out,but anti biotics won !Youve shown how brave you are…sojust look forward to everything getting sorted out by your Docs.Up here in Scotland we have Maggie centres where you can get counselling,reflexology and ME time.Have you anything near you which is similar?Youve got little ones and now you are free of the worry of BC at such a young age.I will look out for your postings and all I can say is you are an amzing young Lady & Mum try to remember that,all my healing hugs go out to you,Debs

Lainey, I have sent you a PM.

dahlia thanks i have sent you 1 back x

debs i am in scotland im just outside glasgow… the maggies centre near me has only opened a few months ago and they dont have all the classes set up yet and are very busy but i left my details and they will call me as soon as they can help. i have called this forums helpline and the staff are so sweet but i dont know what i need right now… debs i consider myself lucky to be alive however im so sad and hate how i look its so difficult. i done it for the right reasons but feel i dealt with this gene in a positive manner and saw it as a blessing i had a warning. this was never about having perfect breasts but i hate how i was supposed to have the op and put the threat behind me . now i have a b cup breast a d cup breast no skin on the majority of them and 1 nipple made from excess skin… i know some people may think i shouldnt worry about how i look and i know thats not my main focus esp as i didnt want immediate recon anyway but its so hard seeing them. i never ever expected perfection as i never had perfection to begin with but i never expected all this either. my bcn, genetic councillor and surgeon have all said they have never known this to go drastically wrong. when they accidentally cut the main vessel in theatre that has caused the healing problems as the supply of blood is quite weak…
i am also menopausal as they removed my ovaries in august last year but there were no problems with that op and i never regretted having it done.
my husband is an amazing man however this is putting a strain on us . he is trying to support me and trying to be honest but has said he hates seeing my breasts which i dont blame him for but it shows how 1 thing can turn life upside down xx

Feel for you x