Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

surgery

14 REPLIES 14
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: surgery

I'm going to see surgeon tomorrow as two lumpectomies have failed to removed all DCIS cells. Was your third op successful?
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Meggy.
so sorry to hear your news, very hard to accept that this is happening to us, i feel it is someone else and i am just looking, one of my friends thinks there is nothing wrong with me because from the outside i look ok, but as you know that is not the case, at the moment i just cannt talk to her, have you had any of this?
will be thinking of you, more than good luck for monday
big hugs
Katherine

Hi Meggy,
So sorry to hear that you will need a third operation, that must be so hard for you.
Hope you have some support at home.
virtual hugs. xxx

Hi Katherine, I didn't get good news I will be having a 3rd op on Monday .I will just have to wait and see what happens from there,I'm not coping to good at the moment.take. Take care meggy x
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi, meggy-moo
how did your results go? hope good news, hopefully will be having my drain out this morning, due to see the ongologist on the 28th May, also I know I have got to have radiotherapy and Herceptin, but as my consultant says this will be no walk in the park but will get better fingers crossed.
great big hugs x

Hi Katherine,so happy for you,I had a second wle on the 6th may get my results this afternoon feeling nervous and a bit weepy.All going well we should start our next round of treatment about the same time.take care Meggy x

Hi Katherine,
So pleased to hear that your second op was clear. I had my op last week and will find out on Friday if my margins were clear.
I think its a concern for most of us that we will need a second op.
Well done for getting through this.
Virtual hug
Susan x
Guest user
Not applicable

This is my worry having to have a cavity shave after my WLE and SNB last weds results on Friday fingers crossed Katherine 10 hope you feel better soonx
Guest user
Not applicable

thank you all for your replies and big hugs, i do need them, 2nd op was clear, have now had a ct scan and to see ongologist end of may for next round of treatment, still having loads of fluid build up, doc finally put in drain for removal tomorrow, hope it has worked!. any kind words will be greatly appreciated to get me through this.

I spoke to my BCN about this the other day. She was telling me that the minimum they take is 1mm and the max is 10mm but the amount they take sometimes depends on the size of your breast. I'm hoping that my D cup and the fact that my lump is fairly deep that my surgeon will take the full 10mm from each side 😉

My mil and sil both had lumpectomy then ended up having Mx a few weeks later but that was their choice ! I chose to have full Mx from the start.
Marie x

Hi ladies

I am due to have my lumpectomy on 3rd May - This was also one of my concerns...Clear Margins. I'm going to tell my surgeon when I see him on the morning of the op that if he asks himself the question "have I got enough" then that means that he hasn't and to take a little more.

I'm a D cup and have been told that he will shuffle the remaining breast tissue around so that it just looks like a small dimple however, for me persoanlly I don't care if I have a deformed bood, just so long as he gets clear margins.

Panacea - I've read a good number of threads here in the forum where people have had to go back for a 2nd op. It's a shame really, but I think it is all worth it in the end.

My ultra-sound showed no node involvement however, I know now that may not be the case. It will soon be back to the waiting room for me 😉

Katherine10 - I wish to the very best of luck during your 2nd op. Always keep in your mind that it will be worth it.

Good luck & soft cyber hugs,
Martha xx

Hello Katherine
I had a wire guided excision, then two further cavity shaves (where they take a further bit of tissue from round the edges of the original area) because they didn't get a sufficient margin of tissue that was clear of the cancerous cells. My consultant explained to me that (at least in my case, not sure about others) the tissue all looks the same to the naked eye, and so they are relying on the scans to show where to operate and their own experience and judgment. The tissue removed has to be tested in the lab to ensure that they've got it all, which as we know takes some time. That's why they sometimes don't get it all first time around.
I was told that it works first time around for most, but that for a minority it doesn't and a smaller minority like me will need a third try. So even though it may not be common, I wouldn't say its abnormal.
I've recovered well, and although my scar has been opened three times now it is healing up nicely.
That's my understanding of it - I hope others will add their take on it.
I hope it goes well, sending you a big hug.
Deborah

Hi Katherine

Welcome to the BCC discussion forums, I'm sure your fellow forum users will be along soon to support you. In the meantime if you would like to talk to someone in person then our helpline is just a free phone call away 0808 800 6000 the staff there will be only too happy to talk to you about your concerns. Lines open Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 10-2.

Take care,

Jo, Facilitator

Guest user
Not applicable

surgery

feeling sad, have to have more surgery, not enough tissue was removed first time, just wonder why not more is taken out first time, should have asked, but was shell shocked. Is this normal? really any of it.