surgery

am due for double masectomy on friday how long is surgery? and how due feel after?..is it hard to function…ie…washing yourself and general hygiene issues?

hi Maggi

sorry you are having this op and best wishes for Friday. i only had one side “done”, which I understand takes about 90 mins so in your case, if there is only one surgeon I imagine they may work on each side seperately. If it helps the operation length is academic- you will be asleep. I am told recovery is quite quick for most of us and it matters more if you have a reaction to the anaesthia and whether there is axillary clearance. I had mx and immediate recon via ld and was able to get up and about as normal next morning. Was not allowed to shower due to drains (2 front, 1 in back) so washed via baby wipes.Did arm exercises and physically, apart from wound issues, healed physically quite quickly. Emotionally? found that can take longer.

all best wishes

Jane x

Hi Maggi

Are you having your lymph nodes removed as well? I had all of mine removed (only had treatment on one side)and that is still stiff a year after the event.

As for recovery straight after, they will get you up and moving as soon as possible. I was given a bag for the drains which helped. The best advice I can give - DO ALL THE EXERCISES THEY GIVE YOU - it will really help in the long run.

I’m told that mastectomys are less painful than reconstruction. (but as I haven’t tried both I don’t really know)

all the best - wizzbaby