Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

swelling getting me down

9 REPLIES 9
waiting

Re: swelling getting me down

Hi RuthAnna,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I think you are very brave to have  reconstruction I just carn't face it at the moment but may when I'm at the other side of this. Waiting to see oncologist next week re further treatment. It's 3 weeks since my surgery and the seroma is very slowly reducing. I am trying to risist having it drained as my BCN advised it better to leave well alone due to risk of infection and will probably fill back up. Although, lots of women seen to have it done and like you, have not had any problems. mmmm ....

Love C x

RuthAnna

Hi Waiting,

I have had 3 operations following diagnosis first being mastectomy second lymph node removal third reconstruction.  I had seromas every time the first one being the worst as to be honest it was after my first opperation and I had nothing to compare it to.  Mine lasted for up to 8 weeks and the first one I had drained weekly without any problems to give me more movement as it went under my armpit.  Once I had reconstructive surgery I couldnt have the Sermona drained but really learned to live with it.  They did settle in time, it was as if the body decided thats it no more seroma, they really did just stop over night.

waiting

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your advice. It is very good to know that you have all been through this and the swelling does actually reduce eventually. I am doing the exercises 3 times a day together with gentle massage particularly around the back area and this has helped. I think it has reduced a little so thanks again kind people.

Love Cx

Seabreeze

Hi C,
I had WLE and a few nodes removed for testing so not as extensive as you. I did however have some swelling front underarm chest area and noticed that it gradually seemed to go down when i did the exercises and swell slightly back up even if i missed one or 2 lots of the exercises. I think sticking to 3 times a dsy really helps....plus as time goes by after surgery helps stop stiffness which can sneek back in fairly rapidly if you don't keep doing the gentle stretches, albeit that may in part be caused by radiotherapy which I've also had.
Really hope it gets better soon, hang in there and just do as much as you can of the exercises. If you think your pigeon wings exercise would equate to a bird never getting off the ground or flying in circles don't worry - it will loosen up
X seabreeze
Butterfly318

Evening C

Hope the seroma is starting to reduce.  I had all nodes removed and felt that was one of the reasons i had such a fluid build up.  As Anne said gentle movement was helpful, walking gently swinging my arms.  My Husband also massaged following instruction from Physiotherapist from wrist down to axila area and down my back which also retained some fluid.

Hope this is helpful.  Take Care   Gilly x   

waiting

Hi Mary,

Thank you for your reply. It  really helps to know I'm not alone. I am going to try a careful compress and massage if I dare and will let you know how I get on. I didn't have drains after surgery so maybe this is why it's taking longer to drain away. Who knows.......anyway thanks for your kind advice.

Love C x

busyanne

Mary I had seroma following surgery and it took four weeks to reduce but I needed to have it done manually by BC nurse.  I had node clearance so I put it down to that.  However I was told by BC nurse that most people get some type of swelling.  So speak to your BC nurse and she will guide you through.  Plenty of movement although not jerky slow and swishy if you know what I mean.  That will help the fluid disperse.

Cheers

Anne

mary32

Hi C

I am sorry you have got a seroma. I had one under my arm from the snb and I can certainly sympathise. It was horrible! I tried to keep my arm elevated, put cold compress onto it and did some gentle massaging. After a few days it did get better but not sure whether it was related to my efforts.

I do hope yours starts to reduce soon.

Mary

Lucy_BCC

Hi waiting
I am sorry to read that you have this to deal with, whilst you await replies you may find the following information about seromas from BCC helpful and our helpliners are here for you 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays so do feel free to call to talk things over

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/treating-breast-cancer/surgery/after%C...

Take care
Lucy BCC

waiting

swelling getting me down

Hello everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and can share with me.

I had mastectomy 2 weeks ago. Yesterday got results of lymph node biopsy which is clear. However, grade 3 tumor found so waiting to see oncologist re possibility of chemo and hormone drugs. I'm so relieved that the nodes are clear but I still feel very down. My dressing were taken off yesterday and the scare is very raw and I have swelling which whooshes around. Its driving me mad! My BCN advises not to draw the fluid off  heals better and flatter if the body can absorb the seroma and also there less risk of infection.

Honestly, I feel like I'm growing another breast. Does anyone have any advice?

Love C xx