328069posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

swimming after radiotherapy?

13 REPLIES 13

Re: swimming after radiotherapy?

Re Swimwear - M & S now do some post surgery ones, around £30 when the vat comes off so a bit cheaper than some of the others and good too!
I've bought three so far and very pleased - though I did have to get them online.

I asked about swimming before my first session and was told it was not a problem unless my skin started getting sore, which didn't happen until about session 15. Up until then I was doing aqua aerobics 3 times a week. I finish next week (25 + 8 booster), so am going to ask at clinic tomorrow how long to leave it after.

As someone who'd been a regular swimmer before treatment started I automatically asked about swimming, mainly because I desperately need to start increasing my general mobility and fitness levels. If I hadn't asked I'm not sure anyone would have mentioned it. So I wouldn't panic LadyM as they'll probably think it's fine as long as you don't get sore.

Hi

Just another idea about swimmwear. Try Woman Zone http://www.woman-zone.co.uk for a variety of swimmwear , they also do differing body lengths for the costume which helped relieve the tension on the tight tissue in my axilla.

Hope all goes well

Crispy

OM goodness, i never even realised that i could not go swimming. I started Rads on Friday, I have my 3rd of 18 tomorrow. They never mentioned anything about not swimming and I was going to go to the gym this weekend for a swim. I'll ask them tomorrow and see what they say.

Thanks Scrapper!

Hi Nymeria

Couple of links below which I hope are of help, prices vary enormously but some basic swimsuits, quite pretty at good prices.

All the best

Scrapper

http://www.nicolajane.com

http://www.pinkribbonlingerie.co.uk

http://www.bettyandbelle.co.uk

I was also told that it was fine after 4 weeks but to put a layer of aqueous cream first as a barrier and to shower thoroughly.

On the subject of swimming generally, a couple of questions:

Any recs for good mastectomy swimwear that doesn't cost the earth?

What do those of you who are still mainly without hair wear on your head or don't you bother?

Highlighted

HI , I too was told 4 weeks after and then only if no sore skin - and lots of moisturiser!
I so love being back in the pool tho - a great treat for the end of what sometimes feels like endless treatment, N

i was told to wait till 4 weeks after rads finished, and then only ok if skin was healed.
x

I've done 28/30 Rads and was told I could swim throughout if I wished too! Worth checking with your team as the guidance varies so widely.

Hi

This depends on how you are after your RT.

I had 15 sessions in March & follow up appt with my Oncolologist 4 weeks later she gave me the go ahead to start swimmimng again. With the proviso I showered well after & moisturised.

I had no issues even though my nipple was still peeling. She said swimming would help soak off the dead skin!

I was lucky & had only a few skin issues which with the exception of a peeling nipple settled very quickly.

Good luck with your treatment; I found the advice given during my treatment was great especially if you get a little sore.

I started with aqueous before I started to help get my skin in as good a condition as I could before it all started.

Take care
Lynne

I was told to wait 6 weeks.

swimming after radiotherapy?

Hi everyone, im starting rads in 3 weeks. How long after rads have finished can you go swimming? Im having 20 sessions, just want it over and done with now like us all Im sure! ness xx