swimwear after mastectomy

Has any one had any experiences of using swimwear that isn’t specifically ‘post surgery’ while wearing a prosthesis? i.e has anyone pocketed swimwear they owned pre surgery? Am 41 and having trouble finding any attractive and/or affordable swimwear in post surgey catalogues!Thanks.

I had bought a very becoming swimsuit just before dx and had it pocketed via my McMillan nurse at hospital. It was V-necked with cups and I did have to pin a brooch (or button) to heighten the V but it was ok. I certainly pinned my prosthesis in just in case…!!!

Now I have bought a second swimsuit with a straight top. I do think this style is superior to the V to help you feel more confident.
I bought mine in the Amoena sale, as they can be very expensive can’t they? This one makes me feel far more secure.

Good luck with your search.

Welsh girl

Hi, I discovered that Nicola Jane have some ‘samples’ that they sell at heavily discounted prices and got some lovely ones, but it was a few years ago. Might be worth asking them if they do have any :). Also they do quite good discounts in their sale - but I think you find better bargains if you can go to one of their shops. I found the quality was very good and even in heavily chlorinated pools they lasted quite a long time. I also bought ‘swimming prosthesis’ from them. These were not the real cheapies but a slightly more expensive silicone type. I know they say it is ok to use normal prostheses in the swimsuit but I found over time they did spoil.

Dawn
xx

Hi
I bought a tummy control post surgery swimming cossie from Marks and spencers website. With discount for postage and vat it only cost £24.
I had to buy a size bigger though as they are quite tight fitting. It hides a multitude of sins. It comes in blue and black.
I also bought a swim prostesis from anita as it feels more comfortable when swimming.
I go swimming 3 to 4 times a week so thought it was worth paying the extra money to feel comfortable.
Good luck with your search
Chris xx

I bought a tankini in the nicolajane sale… still not cheap at almost £30 - but much more affordable than the £70 it was originally! Having said that, it is superb quality, and I can see it lasting and lasting. I also got a swimming prosthesis from there, just a cheap one for under a tenner - I don’t swim that often, but with a beach holiday coming up, I want to look vaguely ‘normal’ this summer!

Sophie

I usually wear a regular athletic type [tight!] swim suit and do not wear a prosthetic. But this year, I am going to purchase a suit from the US LAND’S END mastectomy swim suit selections. Very reasonable for the things! Don’t they just get you going?! But if you suit already has small forms in it, you could use a bath poof to fill them or a swim form. The bath forms ARE WONDERFUL FOR A SUIT THAT HAS A CUP ALREADY. They are poly-propolene netting rolled in a ball and --usually used as a bath exfoliator, but they drain and they fill the cups. My friend who has a BL loves them and she swims all the time. I have not used them yet, but I am going to try. Go online with your questions. Many US companies make silicone swimforms work very well for both swimming and for everyday use, especially if you use a cotton cover for everyday in any bra so that you don’t perspire too much. I hate humidity anyway, so the summers are a bad time for anything on at all! I went with only one boob for many years and only this year [for the back weight and balance] have begun to use any prosthetic at all. My C was in 1987 and I had only a 5% chance of living 6 months. HOWEVER, I DECIDED IT WAS NOT AN OPTION, SO WENT THROUGH MANY EXPERIMENTAL DRUGS AND HERE I AM – I wondered why I got it and then went back to school and took a degree in Environmental Science to find out. So, I do have a lot of science behind the disease, but am now acquiring a lot of info on boobies!

HI there, I agree with Linn, the best ones are in the US Lands End catelogue- but when you add on the customes costs it gets pretty expensive - I called UK Lands End to ask why they didn;t stock such a good range and they said there is no demand …so you know what to do lasses!!
I haven’t used my old suits, too low and I just like to feel confident.
best Nicola

Hi

I got some swim wear from Elouise last year and it was lovely. The make that i really liked was Jamu they are an ozzie company and the styles are lovely, i got a lovely bikini for about £25 in the sale. I don’t know where you are based but i have an invitation to there warehouse sale this weekend if you want me to send it on just PM me your e-mail address. I also got a silicone swim prosthesis from them for about £30 and i wear it for exercising too.

Jayne xxx

Hi,
So far i have just used the speedo suit i had before with no prothesis but I had a speedo swimsuit pocketed but so far not used it, as it did not feel secure when it was on. I am going on holiday soon so i have recently purchased a suit from woman zone, they do made to measure suits from £30 for a plain colour.

Jennifer

Thankyou for ALL the support!! Its been invaluable!!I have looked at all my pre surgery swimwear and finally decided it is all a bit too cleavage revealing to be pocketed. Have bought one lovely tankini top from Amoena (so pricey, but great quality) and a fantastic post surgery suit from Marks and Spencers who look like they are slowly upping their game in terms of post surgery swimwear in more ‘younger’ styles. Both suits have been fully tested with short bouts of serious swimming (fat busting seriously needed!!)and long bouts of splashing in the leisure pool with the kids!!

Hi Jane,

I know you posted this awhile back, but I know this website that sells gorgeous mastectomy swimwear and has a couple of lingerie selection as well.

Its an Australian website but Im sure they post internationally

discoverswimwear.com.au

I hope this helps. GL

Just seen the thread.
M&S, as said, are doing some post-surgery swimmers now but all are full cossies apart from one and cossies are so awkward if you need a wee. No bikinis and only one rubbish tankini. Nothing for folk who are not (or don’t want to look) 60+.

The bath puff as a breast form? Maybe if you are an A/B cup - not if the other booby is a big one! How big is your bath puff?

The Womanzone tankinis are nicer but the prices are eye-watering.