cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tamoxifen contradictions

5 REPLIES 5
lucy12

Re: tamoxifen contradictions

I've been told that new research shows that citalopram is not always recomended either - I have been advised to stop taking it and to switch to venlaflaxine.

Citalopram, although not as bad as some, can reduce the effectiveness of tamoxifen slightly - personally if I'm going to put up with all the crappy side effects of tamoxifen then I want to make sure I'm getting the full benefit from it.

Mel66

If you google anti depressants and tamoxifen, Sertraline is one of those not recommended with Tamoxifen.

Venlafaxine (best) and Citalopram are the more recommended ones. I'd definately run it by the BCN or oncologist as the one you have been prescribed is recorded as interfering with the action of Tamoxifen.
shallon

I think you should speak to your oncologist. They should be able to advise you. X
Butterfly318

ProjectKylie

I do know that you aren't supposed to take SSRI's (anti depressant meds group) at the same time as Tamoxifen. I think the pharmacist recommends taking one at night one in the morning.  There are some good article if you Google Taking SSRI's With Tamoxifen looking at the research.I know it's not always advisable to Google but this is quite a specific subject.

Take Care   Gilly x

Seabreeze

Hi ProjectKylie,
I would suggest you check with a pharmacist...medications being their thing, plus they have to keep up to date with new findings and medications etc.
Seabreeze
ProjectKylie

tamoxifen contradictions

Hi all
I spoke to by breast care nurse yesterday and she advised that Warfarin is the only drug not to be taken with Tamoxifen. Having been prescribed Sertraline I need to be certain. I've read so many different opinions, what is true ?