tamoxifen sending me crazy

Hiya. i have been on tamoxifen for 2 yrs now but in november i decided to take a break as i felt like a loon with crushingly aching knees, dry everything, clumsy, fog head idiot… i could go on. Anyway, the oncologist found out i had stopped and guilted me to restart. I restarted but I am uncertain how i can deal with the rage, mood swings and crazy negative thoughts and wondered if anyone else was the same and what they took to combat this nasty drug?
I doubt my kids or husband will tolerate me!

thanks a lot
s
X

Evie, I can’t remember if you’re pre- or post menopausal but depending on which, there may be alternatives. Guilt is a bad persuader; sitting down with the reasons for choosing it, the facts about you and your individual cancer, and good information about the alternatives, would put you in a much better position to make a good choice that you’re happy with. The oncologist doesn’t have to live with you! wishing you luck :slight_smile:

i am 35 and all they offered was Zolodex which i didnt fancy either! my husband remembers the percetages that tamoxifen gave me and thinks i should stop taking it. The oncologist actually said ‘’ how will you look your children in the eye if you have a reoccurance and you didnt take tamoxifen’'.
A hideous guilt trip.

Hiya!

In exactly the same boat as you!

I have been taking tamox since May 2010 and gave myself a break for a month - i feel SO much better off it than on, yet my tumor was over 90% oestrogen +

So what do i do?
My kids are 7 and 4need a mum.
Do i take the risk and not take the drug, or suffer with SE’s for another 3 years.
What is more important - quality of life now or what MAY happen if i stop the drug completely?

It is a dilemma!
I hope you come to the right decision for you v soon…

Naz x

Look up indole-3-carbinol…

canceractive.com/cancer-active-page-link.aspx?n=1417

there is a lot of research around this as an alternative to Tamoxifen and in one study it had a better success rate than Tamoxifen, but of course everyone´s cancer is different…

I know about it as I have been told I will have to take Tamoxifen and I do not plan to, I took Zoladex in the past and was ready to walk over a cliff…and there are alternatives that can block the damaging oestrogen…I am happy to achieve the desired effect on my body via strict diet or anything else but not via Tamoxifen!!

Evie, after being on Tamoxifen ten days during the christmas period, I was going off my head. I got up and didnt want to kill myself, but felt there was nothing worth living for. I took myself in hand and spoke to my oncologist, who immediately put me on citalapram. This is the drug of choice for ladies struggling with depression etc on Tamoxifen. Within days I felt normal again. I am sleeping normally again and feeling like my old self again!! Jenifer Saunders went through the same thing, and takes Citalapram too.

See the thing is i am reluctant to take any other medication to combat tamoxifens evil side effects! I have found taking it every other day limits my madness and gives me some cover ( i guess ) at least. I also have no idea why different brands give me differnt side effects!!! Wockhardt doesnt send me loopy but i cant bend or move on it…

Does citalapram bring other side effects??

Thanks for that link Sascha :slight_smile:

Evie, I’d take very seriously your husband’s view, he knows you best and presumably he loves you best, and if push comes to shove he doesn’t want to lose you (or have to run away fom you!); and he is also your co-parent so he does have a major stake: He takes joint responsiblity for the kids, you are not on your own. The oncologist on the other hand, only sees you once maybe twice a year for five minutes… and if you had decided to come in wildly waving an axe, it would have been taken off you at the door, so he has no idea…
Praying you’ll be led to the right decision for you all.

It’s nice to hear that other people are experiencing these side affects as well.I thought to myself, “what is wrong with me”.I have a hard time getting out of bed in the morning due to achyness in my feet & ankles.At times I’m up about 6 times a night due to leg cramps. I’ve also experienced nasty mood swings. Thank God my husband & kids love me cause I can be very nasty…And then of course the weight gain. I have tried everything to lose weight but have had no luck. 1 question…Once off the medication does everything change again???