taste

this is my 3rd chemo , have had cmf and andrioymcin , this time it xeloda and taxotere. the last times my taste was fine , this time i cannot taste anything apart from weetabix and yougarts , everything else taste like cardboard ,
any tips , its so boring !

I found that I lost my sense of taste for a few days after each dose of taxotere, and I had a funny slimy sensation in my mouth. I think it was actually made worse by the anti-sickness tablets so I cut back on them. Luckily for me my appetite was good so I was able to eat spicy foods which I could taste despite the chemo.

can taste stuff fine, but get horrid bitter taste just after finishing eating (doxytaxol is my chemo). I fnd some things make it worse - ironically chocolate is one …!
however it doesn’t last the whole chemo cycle which is good, maybe a week?

my tip would be try lots of things e.g lemony, sweet, sour, chocolate, milky, spicy, refreshing fruit etc and see what turns out best for you Tracy - nasty isn’t it! hope just temporary
susie

I have posted on behalf of Terry

Kind Regards
Katie

My wife found that tea with lots of lemon, plus frozen bits of fresh pinapple cleared her moth for a while, she was also on tax plus Xeloda.

I found I was eating all kinds of things trying to challenge my taste buds! - not really such a good idea now I come to think of it! I wish I knew then what I know now, and that that diet really does effect how you feel, energy levels etc etc.

Thinking of you, and just know that thoses siliva glands will kick in again after all of this.

love Suzy

JULIE58

HI EVERTYONE HAVNT POSTED BEFORE SO BEAR WITH ME PLEASE.

JUST WONDERED HAD MY OP IN FEB FOLLOWED BY 4EPI and 4 CMF HAVE JUST COMPLETED 15 RADS AND THOUGHT BY NOW ALL HORRIBLE DISCUSTING
TASTE IN MOUTH WOULD HAVE GONE ! WAKE UP IN THE MORNING WITH THICKISH WHITE PASTE COVERING TONGUE, FOOD STILL DOSNT TASTE HOW IT SHOULD ALTHOUGH IT IS A BIT BETTER WITH SOME THINGS WHILST EATING ,AFTERWARDS TASTES HORRIBLE WONDERED AM I ODD ? i HAVE TO CHEW CHEWING GUM ALL DAY EVERY DAY AS SOON AS I TAKE IT OUT MY MOUTH COMPLETELY DRIES UP I FINISHED CHEMO BEG OCT !! WONDERIN IF ITS EVER GOING TO GO
ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE THE SAME ?

Hi Julie,

Welcome to the boards.

I wonder if you may have oral thrush? This is a common side effect from chemo for which you would normally be given antibiotics. Chemo also affects your sense of taste and all you describe sound usual. If you have a good look around the site, there are many helpful tips (check the sticky at the top of the main discussions page - top tips for dealing with chemotherapy) which may help you feel more comfortable.

Best of luck,

Jenny.

Tracy, one of the worst things for me was the way the taste of everything changed when I was on taxotere. I love my food. All fruit tasted bitter - even fruit yoghurts. Other things just tasted like cardboard.

The thing I did eat more of were milky puddings like creme caramel, creme brulee etc (sainsbury’s do a nice range of panne cotte deserts). They slipped down well and tasted better than the rest of the things I tried to eat.

Deirdre

Hi, although I am having FEC I had really bad thrush in my mouth for which my GP gave nystatin and a mouth wash (difflicam I think), horrid white coated tongue followed by bright pink sore tongue, I mentioned it to my Onc who gave me something to take following my next dose of chemo and its been brilliant - none of the previous side effects except vaguely sore tongue. I would mention anything to your GP (or if you are still seeing your Onc) as they can prescribe just about anything for any side effect (mine have been brilliant and prescribed me at their expense very expensive drugs to prevent me getting cold sores as I had one post first FEC, oral thrush, sore tongue, etc etc - don’t suffer ask your GP or Onc!

xxx O

ok girls thanx for your advise will do what you suggest just thought as finished chemo quite a while ago would have gone by now and am getting a bit frustrated b nice to actually enjoy a cuppa or a glass of wine without horrid salty taste ! Funny how we are all different fruit is really the only thing that tastes nice to me so refreshing !!

Thanx again XX

Hi all,

I was given a bottle of mouth wash before every different chemo and that worked well. The taxotere WAS the worst but funnily enough it only affected taste with hot meals. I was ok eating sandwiches. I used the mouthwash about half an hour before I had something to eat. Hot tea and lemon before you have something to eat helps too.

Maroke

Just mentioning this but very sadly Tracy, who started this post passed away last Autumn.