74.2K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

--- this morning tv

Re: --- this morning tv

Guess what, folks? I just checked the ITV website again to re-read some of the statements and the item\'s been removed! The others from this morning\'s show are still there, but they\'ve pulled the bc part. I suppose that\'s better than nothing - at least no-one else will now be able to read the inaccurate rubbish it contained and possibly be misled into thinking that bc is no great shakes!

Well done everyone - I think our emails of outrage made a difference. It\'s just a pity that they won\'t ask some of us on the show to put another point of view, but I suppose we\'re not trendy and uninformed enough!

Kathy

Guest user
Not applicable

--- for infor --- Sorry, lost this once.... Below is a copy of what I sent to the tv. I apologise for any inconsistencies, it was written in anger.... maybe I should have waited.

Love Joy xxx

I have to write between my tears to tell you how irresponsible I think your doctor and the item on breast cancer was. Foot massage during chemotherapy, ultra sound during treatment, and to quote the patient \'ONLY A FEW WOMEN DIE OF BREAST CANCER\' -------- a more realistic point of view would be instead of the foot massage a few sick buckets lined up. As for the comment ONLY A FEW WOMEN DIE ..... how\'s about 12,000 per annum and 250 men!!!!!!! WAKE UP WILL YOU PLEASE.....

We are fighting for our lives and have enough to contend with, without this ridiculous farce and face of breast cancer being portrayed. I wish the lady well with her positive attitude and I hope that she continues to be able to lead a partially normal life during chemo, instead of vomiting continually because, being honest, a large number of women are not helped by the anti-sickness drugs - they don\'t work on us.... I hope she doesn\'t start to bleed from her bowels, her vagina, her bladder because the anti-sickness tablets cause such severe constipation that EVERY organ down below suffers by it AS SOME WOMEN DO ...... I hope that her stomach when she continually retches, day and night, doesn\'t eventually belch out blood along with the bile because she can keep NOTHING down, not even a sip of water..... I hope she does keep her hair with the cold cap --------- it doesn\'t work for everyone and ALL my friends and myself lost every hair on our body, lashes and brows included.

Statistics!!!!! Your programme doesn\'t have a clue. The real face of breast cancer - you don\'t know the half of it.... the fear of not seeing our children grow up, the sleepless nights that continue long after the original treatment ceases.... the follow up bone scans, blood tests from collapsed veins, ct scans because it looks like secondaries may have started, painful joints from the tablets, peripheral neuropathy caused by the chemo, the anger at the media and so-called miracle drugs which many er, pr, HER negative cancer patients are not suitable for ..... I could write many many more pages on this....... but let\' s move on to the friends and family who don\'t know the facts, and who believe what YOU put in front of them.... Oh, breast cancer is a good cancer to have. The chemo and what have you is a nuisance but not as bad as people make out. Oh only a few people die of breast cancer. Oh you have had your treatment now.... you are CURED!!!!! We saw it on television and you must be big softie if you complain - the woman on tv found it easy.

I hope against hope that all the women on the cancer sites who are either crying as they write to each other, and me, or who are so angry that it is doing them no good whatsoever, have the strength to write and tell you what damage you have done. That lady who wanted to have her cancer treatment followed to help others should have read up the facts first, should have taken her head out of the sand if she wants to do that..... she obviously cannot face the facts that she has a life threatening disease of which many will die of, (endless variations on type, grade, stage, etc make this so .....(see Cancer Research) ..... that is her option and her right to believe what she wishes if it helps her remain positive .... but YOU on seeing this should have REFUSED to allow her to use you as her rod of strength to fight her disease, at the expense of damaging the rest of us with false information.

I am not an intelligent person, and you will be able to wipe the floor with my arguments but I have one thing in my favour..... I write from EXPERIENCE OF THE DISEASE WHICH BLIGHTS MY EVERY LIVING DAY months down the line ,..... I write FROM THE HEART..... having been there and bought the tee shirt ...... I write ..... WITH TEARS WELLING UP for all my friends who have already died of this disease and who your comments make light of their death and their children\'s mourning because you have not portrayed the true picture of what they went through ......... I write having to every day LISTEN TO PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT GOING THROUGH BREAST CANCER telling me it is curable - (Fern Britten\'s programme told them that) - that breast cancer is a LUCKY, Trendy cancer to have....... Tell that to the young women who wonder how they will now meet men who will accept their mastectomies and the after effects of cancer drugs and who need our constant reassurance, the wives who feel less attractive to their partners, ..... I could go on and on. What\'s the point.... you have the millions of viewers to fool in one fell swoop .... my voice is unable to beat you on that one.

Joy Cook

Guest user
Not applicable

Okay now I\'m really ticked off I\'ll just post the draft of the email I sent.

One question tho\' how do these people (TV) get to be so stupid.

email is as follows

I missed seeing this interview and after reading the reaction of people on the Breast cancer care site (you might like to have a look just in case you\'re actually really interested in how people react to such rubbish on T V) I have to say I\'m pleased that I did, stress is not a good thing when you have secondaries.

I was diagnosed with grade 3 and lymph involvement in my right breast and the 90% cure rate ( don\'t know where they got that statisic from) has definitely failed miserably with me as I now have it in my brain my chest and my left side, and this has come 6 months after treatment finished.

I do not spend days wondering how and when I will die but on surviving and doing things but I do not appreciate being told
a) it is the best cancer to get - no cancer is a best cancer,
b) it is trendy - excuse me what planet is the woman on.

I truly hope she doesn\'t get the big shock and it comes back and that her chemo isn\'t too unpleasant but it might be an idea to give her the address of the BCC forums so she can have a look at how people really feel about the total rubbish spouted by the uniformed. Take your interviews to an oncology waiting room and talk to the people there, go to different NHS hospitals and breast care centres. But for goodness sake stop with the one on one interviews with people who are happy to talk to TV presenters. Get out there and see what its really like for most of us. Oh and just because it\'s boobs doesn\'t make it glamorous and as a side issue - Men get breast cancer as well, might be worth remembering

Gill

I have to admit I really hope I manage to upset someone

Guest user
Not applicable

what can I say? My husband phoned me this morning to tell me this item was on GMTV and did I want to watch it......now I wish I hadnt!!..............10 weeks after diagnosos I certainly couldnt have sat calm and chatted to a camera, I was totally distraught, but at least if I have to be ill I have a \"trendy\" illness..................they made it sound like going out any buying a new handbag then to cap it all I had to go to my GP.......picked up a magazine, on the letters page there was a lady writing in about having breast cancer and how well her kids were coping, but she said it wasnt caught early enough as she had lymph node involvement, as did I but my onc said it was caught fairley early...........is this another lottery?

Guest user
Not applicable

Not quite good enough BCC Dear moderator,

Your response to concerns expressed on this thread is very carefully worded. To say that \'the experiences of the lady interviewed may not reflect how many people feel, and the information they are given following a diagnosis of breast cancer\' is very bland.

Obviously everyone\'s experiences are different but a major point here is that the This Morning website carries completely misleading and WRONG information about prognosis statistics. It is simply not true that anyone with an invasive node positive breast cancer who is 3 months from diagnosis can possibly have chances of the cancer not returning anywhere near as high as 95-100%.

Personally i\'d rather that you were a bit more forceful about misleading media interventions rather than gving us patronising apolgoies about causing us \'distress.\' We are angry and rightly so.

Jane

Guest user
Not applicable

--- Thanks, Joy, for posting about this programme. I didn\'t see it, but am heartily sick of the way breast cancer continues to be portrayed, so have sent a suitable email!
Ellie

Guest user
Not applicable

Moderator You say that Breast Cancer Care was asked to endorse the programme ,although unaware of its content,by displaying its logo. Should Breast Cancer Care allow its logo to be used in any context about which it does not have detailed information?

Best wishes
Roisin

Guest user
Not applicable

Me Too I\'ve e-mailed too. I saw the programme and I definitely got the feeling that both Philip Schofield and Fern Britton were a little uneasy about her upbeat enthusiasm, she was almost on a \'high\' with her \'trendy breast cancer\' and her airy dismissal of the treatment. Sometimes they had a job to get a word in edgeways! Do hope somebody is there for her if and when the reality of the treatment sets in and she comes crashing down to earth...this forum maybe?

Guest user
Not applicable

Thank you Moderator I appreciate your reply.

I take on baord that BCC was not aware of the precise content, and am pleased that you are there in a support role. I\'m also pleased - and i think many will agree here - that BCC has contacted the programme makers to express concerns.

tigerlily

So glad I missed the programme. But will look at the website.
At least I know I\'m dying from a trendy cancer now, never been trendy before so that\'s a first.
So tired of hearing cr*p like this.
Belinda.xx

Community Manager

Moderator Thank you all for highlighting today’s interview on This Morning television programme. Breast Cancer Care was contacted about the programme yesterday evening and were informed that This Morning were following a breast cancer patient on the show today. We were not involved in the content of the programme or website page, but were asked if our logo could be used and we could be listed as a contact for viewers if they wanted support or information. Breast Cancer Care are frequently asked if we can be listed as a support organisation for the public following TV or radio programmes and see this as an opportunity to reach people who may not have heard about our services .

Breast Cancer Care is currently in contact with This Morning expressing our concern that the experiences of the lady interviewed may not reflect how many people feel, and the information they are given following a diagnosis of breast cancer

We apologise for the distress this has caused, and hope we can reassure you we are aware of the situation and are in contact with the programme

Kind Regards

BCC Moderator

Guest user
Not applicable

Also done my bit.. Didn\'t see the programme, but read the diary after I\'d seen the posts here Was amazed at the tone. I know there\'s limited space there, but it makes having breats cancer sound like going for a walk in the park.

I do find the statistics/prognosis they are giving as being exceedingly irresponsible, and i also would dearly love to see a response on here by BCC. I think we deserve it. i found the light, flippant \'oh its nothing\' line insulting to those who know differently, who suffer with treatment/chemo/BC itself, and who are only too aware of their true prognosis.

While i think its great for Kerry to be optimistic - to be encouraged - and i truly wish her well, I do think this misleading report is doing no-one any favours. i suggested the itv researchers actually do their research before spouting facts on their programme, and suggested they should look at these forums to see what its REALLY like for the majority of women with breast cancer.

And I said more, but i\'ll spare you!

I\'ve written too ...pointing out that with a small Grade 1 tumour and no node involvement I\'ve had a recurrence after 7 years. Survival does NOT mean disease-free survival and there is NO certain cure for breast cancer.

I do get SO tired of this constant misinformation and media glibness.

Kathy

Guest user
Not applicable

I want to see her Onc! I had a grade 3 tumour removed, NO node involvement, and was given a 10 yr non-reoccurance of 87% with Chemo and Rads!

Lisa

Guest user
Not applicable

Moderator I have just had another worrying thought. I relied heavily on the BCC telephone helpline advice I was given immediately after diagnosis and during my treatment. I amnow wondering if it was wise to do so. Was ithis information as inaccurate as that endorsed by BCC on the This Morning television programme criticised above? If not does BCC have one set of information for some people and another set for others? How can we tell which is accurate or true?

Best wishes
Roisin

Guest user
Not applicable

Moderator Joy - Thanks for drawing our attention to this.

I agree totally with JaneRA\'s criticism of BCC endorsing the claim that someone with grade 3 breast cancer, and serious enough to require neo-adjuvant chemotherapy, can have a 90%+ chance of surviving five years.

At the very least BCC should clarify the position, rectify the incorrect statistical information and apologise to everyone who may have seen that television programme and been misled by it.

The real danger in promoting the idea that BCC is a good cancer to have is that it may persuade people with symptoms of it to delay seeking treatment on the grounds that breast cancer is no longer a life threatening or even serious disease. As has been pointed out anyone reading these forums (presumably this includes the BCC staff responsible for taking part in this irresponsible television programme) cannot be in any doubt that breast cancer kills and frequently well within five years of it being diagnosed. It also causes untold physical and mental suffering.

I am aware that my next comment is highly likely to get me banned from the forums or given a long term in moderation without any possbility of remission from it .

I wonder where some of the people working for BCC get their information about breast cancer from. If it is from a reputable source then why are they not capable of understanding this information and using it wisely: for the benefit of those suffering from breast cancer. This should not be such a difficult thing to do. After all it is what the charity is set up to do and why people donate money to support it.

Best wishes
Roisin

Guest user
Not applicable

I missed this so can anyone tell me Hi Joy, I missed this, can you advise whether it was on GMTV or a programme on ITV as they both have seperate e-mail addresses.

Would also appreciate if someone can point me to this womans diary or to any further info on this.

Like so many of you I am fed up with \"all clear\" and \"best cancer to get\" being spouted to me by friends and family !!!!

Rgrds/Siggy

Guest user
Not applicable

sorry I am confused Hi all, I am still trying to get my head round this, I\'m totally confused (mind you I have just had 1st chemo so brain cannot function right at the moment) I was just reading what JaneRA was saying and must say I agree, I have a Grade 3 with lymph node involvement which is invasive, my surgeon whom I trust very much told me that reoccurance is possible. I am also likey to get the same in the left breast but the team will be monitoring me closley. I have just been to the website yet again and like all of you am so angry.

I will be sending an e-mail shorlty.

Denise

Just emailed ITV & feel slightly less worked up now !!
Id advice everyone to email ITV....its good therapy. Maybe now , my risk of survival will also have risen miraculously to be 100% as quoted on their website! TV maybe can work miracles 🙂
Right, rant over, Im in need for some retail therapy & a glass of wine after all that!

Thanks Joy for highlighting this. I didn\'t see the programme but have looked at the website and am angry and upset that this distorted view of life with BC is being portrayed. I\'ve fired off an email with my thoughts and my own experiences, hope many others do the same.

Love and best wishes to all.

Catfan xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Two more thoughts 1. Why does BCC\'s logo appear with this story on the website? I hope that BCC has not endorsed this story. Please moderator can you let us know? I think that you at least have a responsibility now to correct the inaccurate statistics on this woman\'s prognosis.

2. Stories like this are simply not \'positive\' for people starting breast cancer treatement..they serve to make people who are feeling pretty grim anyway to feel additionally anxious that somehow they are not coping well enough. Having cancer is shit...a complex kind of shit..and yes most of us learn to live with it.. (not much choice) find our own ways of enjoying what we can, of looking forward, of making the best of it..but its still shit..end of...

Jane

Guest user
Not applicable

Why are we surprised? I\'ve just had a look at the website and feel pretty weary about this completely inaccurate portrayal of what its like to have breast cancer. No one, but no one, with a grade 3 breast cancer and lymph node involvement has a 90-95% chance of it not recurring. Something like two thirds of people with lymph node involvment get recurrence.

I didn\'t see the TV programme but the tone of the website story is the same old \'think postive\' \'help yourself\' \'heal yourself\' nonsense whcih is so rife in the public face of breast cancer world, and which sadly many people with breast cancer also buy into (not any of us wonderful women feeling furious of course...)

Thanks for highlighting this Joy. I\'ll probably send an e-mail too.

Jane

---I have read the diary on web site and understand why she is having chemo. Sorry that will teach me to miss bits of programs !

I agree totally Whilst i know she was trying to be positive about it all, I think it gave a false reasurrance to most people that treatment will be \" a breeze\". To infer that nobody dies of breast cancer anymore is not true, to say that survival rates are 90% at 5 years without saying that for most of us, 5 years isnt that long ( ie what happens after those 5 years, many of us wont even be in our middle 40\'s by then, & if youre 28 when you are diagnosed, 5 years is nothing!)....and to say that \" if youre going to get cancer, breast cancer is a good one to get\" was just so patronising. To top it all............to say \" breast cancer is almost trendy\".......I dont know what to say, Im livid.
We didnt realise how lucky we all are, did we, to get this fabulous disease.
Ive never emailed a TV programe before, but I will be as soon as Ive finished ranting on to the realists on this site!!

Guest user
Not applicable

what a stupid woman yes i\'ve just watched this and i too am annoyed/angry etc.

what a perfect opportunity to put across the views of countless numbers of woman (and men) who have/are suffering from this.

i do not think i\'m lucky to have such a \"trendy\" cancer as breast cancer - i\'d rather not have had it at all.

i wish i\'d had the foresight to let the cameras \"follow\" me on my journey so the nation can see how i\'ve gone from having long hair to bald head, head down the toilet puking, lack of confidence, having to cope with a 6 month old new baby, partner being made redundant so therefore stress on our relationship, mouth ulcers, sore arms, constipation and piles - to name but a few.

stupid, stupid woman

baldrick x

confused ---Because I did not see the whole article I missed what sort of bc she has. I thought I heard her say something about it not being invasive???? I am just wondering if it is not invasive why she is having chemo?Or did I hear them wrong.
Anyway I should be really looking forward to my afternoon at the breast clinic!!!!! (sorry for the sarcasm)!

Suex

Guest user
Not applicable

--- If you look at the website for \'this morning \'as i just did when i sent them an email, there is a more detailed account of her diagnosis and treatment and the other complementary therapies she has used.The breast cancer care logo accompanies the article for some reason which surprised me somewhat !

Guest user
Not applicable

--- The email address --- Anyone willing to e mail them with a true story of what chemo is like for the rest of us (I certainly wasn;t given a foot massage whilst undergoing chemo, or an ultra sound so readily during treatment),

the address is thismorning(at sign)itv.com The at sign is the sign over the \' which I think this site doesn\'t accept if we type it.

Joy xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Didn\'t see it --- but I know from some of the reactions I had from friends when I told them I had BC there\'s an almost \"casual\" attitude towards this disease, as commented on before in this forum mainly caused from the press pronouncing celebrities \"all clear\" or \"cured\". No such bl**dy thing I say to people now when they make comments like that, they think you can bat it off like the flu or something .... grrrrrrrrrr!!!!

Trace
-x-

Guest user
Not applicable

--- I just watched this bit of \'good morning \'completely by chance.I felt quite disappointed by the doctor ,he could / should have pointed out that everyone\'s experience will be different and that complementary therapies whilst having chemo are not , in my experience at least ,that common.. I ve never seen or heard of anyone having reflexology on the chemo ward, in the private or public sector., although i think I did read about it in a book once .I havent heard of ultrasounds being used in the consulting room so casually either ! -I feel quite shocked / envious that the day after her second chemo, which obviously included doxyrubicin / epirubicin... the red one.... ,she is there on national tv looking great ! I was lucky to make it downstairs to collapse in front of the tv !I dont think it said where she was having her treatment but if it is nhs it looks amazing.

Guest user
Not applicable

What a load of ????? I may be banned from the site if i spell it out, and i dont normally swear mind you having cancer and chemo has made me swear alot lately.

Ofourse i dont know why i should feel angry. i should be dancing around with joy thinking well this is the best cancer to get and arent I a lucky sod to have it and oh well whatever its curable etc.
I mean i am due my second chemo on thurs and for the last 3 weeks have had constipation ulcers and extreme tiredness and a low blood count.

I mean i have only lost a auntie many years ago a friend who was 36 about 10 years ago and my wonderful mum almost 2 years ago to it and am currently watchin a dear friend who has liver secondaries from it.
Gosh i didnt watch the prog and I am so glad i didnt.

I always feared getting this cancer and nothing could have prepared me for the hard hard hard life its presented me with.

they speak a load of rubbish and how dare they minimise it,
give me the adress to write too and I WILL WRITE GIVE THEMA PIECE OF REAL LIFE WITH BREAST CANCER.

Love Ruth x

Guest user
Not applicable

DITO i was actually sitting talking to my nurse when it came on what did she mean breast cancer is the best type of cancer to get.
tell her to come onto this forum then oooooooooh it makes me mad too.
Culkie

Guest user
Not applicable

---aaagh ------ Has anyone seen my posting on current issues forum on the This Morning tv programme.

It made me sooo angry. Maybe they would be better listening to those of us on this site who don\'t find cancer treatment easy and who don\'t think \'breast cancer is a GOOD cancer to get\' or who know that to say \'only a few women die of breast cancer\' and that \'there is a cure for cancer\' is a lie.

PLEASE will you all eemail THIS MORNING TV if you agree.

What a stupid, hurtful message it gave out to those of us who have suffered with friends who do not appreciate our fears.

Sory if I have upset anybody.

Joy xxx

Yes ---I am just killing time waiting to go to the breast clinic this afternoon (new lump to check) and I just saw the back end of the article.

I know what you are saying I was speechless and I only saw the first bit. My immediate thoughts were that she will not be saying it is the best kind of cancer to get in a few months time!!!

I would say count to 10 but probably a hundred won\'tbe enough!!!!
Suex

Guest user
Not applicable

--- this morning tv --- Has anybody just watched This Morning tv with the lady who was diagnosed ten weeks ago with breast cancer........

I have so much I want to say about this but am so angry I would love to hear others\' opinions first to hopefully calm me down. I will wait in anticipation as I pick the pieces up from outside my window of my television.

Joy x

Guest user
Not applicable

--- this morning tv

--- this morning tv