cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tightness post reconstruction

5 REPLIES 5
hamley

Re: tightness post reconstruction

Hi,  I didn't start swimming again until about 3 months after my breast recon.  I had to stop after my nipple recon from which I'm nearly recovered, but I was told by my surgeon to wait until the black crusty scabs have gone (nice!),  That happened three days ago so I will be swimming next week.

Kess

I think that's too soon. I Didn't have recon but was still told to wait at least 10 weeks after surgery. I think with recon you have to be very careful. Did they not give you any advice about when you can swim? Might be worth a call to your bcn or ask the helpline. They will be able to advise hoe long you should wait.
Orchard

Hi Hamley, just read your post re swimming and wanted to ask how soon after your op you started going? I am 6 weeks post bi mx with LD recon and am desperate to start going but have been told that there's still a risk of infection and not yet. Thanks. X
hamley

Hi,  I think it might be worth doing some swimming.  I had a bilateral reconstruction nearly a year ago, the same op as you, and my surgeon told me to go swimming and do breast stroke.  It works really well.  I've recently had a nipple reconstrution (unbelieveably fantastic result!), couldn't swim for 6 weeks so far and I feel very tight across my back and am finding I get a lot of backache too, hanging washing on the line's a nightmare!  That didn't happen when I was swimming.

I can't wait to start swimming again, I'm sure it has better results than any of the excercises I was given (although they worked quite well too).  I also feel so much stronger when I'm swimming even though I only go once a week, It's amazing the difference it makes.

Janet_BCC

Hi bella60

I'm sorry you haven't had any replies to your post yet.  I wondered if more people might see it if you posted in the section "Going through treatment/surgery".  I've attached a link.  There are quite a few threads there about reconstruction.

http://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Surgery/bd-p/4445

You might also find it helps to give our Helpline a call.  They'll be able to offer information and support.  Opening times are 9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays.  The number is 0808 800 6000

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

bella60

tightness post reconstruction

Hi I am wondering if any post reconstruction (lapdorssi  right side) I am 6 months post surgeryand when I do anything like walk for 2 miles or hoover a couple of rooms, my  ribs site back gets really tight I have a full range of movement in my shoulder. I keep mentioning it to my surgeon, but she seems to give a different answer every time. Am I expecting too much, is this how it is going to be?? Am I being a wimp.? I know in comparison this is very little to complain about.Ps I didnt have any chemo or dxt, but I still seem to run out of energy, like the batterys gone flat. Right I have finished now !!!