tirerdness

I finished ny radio week ago and done nothing but sleep wheb will i get my energy back . Just want to feel normal again after breast cancer

Hi Dean

I finished my radiotherapy just over a week ago too, and frequently fall asleep in the afternoons. I think you just have to listen to your body and rest when it tells you to as that’s when your body is healing itself. Radiotherapy keeps working for 2-3 weeks after the final session. I try to go for a walk too as that’s meant to help with fatigue. I’m trying to eat as healthily as I can and keep the fluids up as dehydration can also make you drowsy.

We all want to get back to normal after months of hospital appointments and treatments, it’s just natural. Hope this helps.

Hi dean, sorry to hear you are feeling so tired. Unfortunately getting your energy back is a very individual thing, and there is no norm. If you have been given a little booklet about radiotherapy it does mention reactions lasting up to a year after the treatment is finished. This does not mean this will happen to you. It does advise taking some exercise, such as a gentle walk, and eating healthily. Staying hydrated,even after the treatment has finished, is also a good idea. Unfortunately coffee and alcohol aren’t in the staying hydrated group! I know it’s difficult when you are feeling so tired, but I think you need to be good to yourself and try to fit in a few little treats. Coffee with a friend, or a massage. Anything to give you a lift and take your mind off things. Remember, you have been through a very traumatic time, so just listen to your body. Best wishes. X