Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tram reconstruction

16 REPLIES 16
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: tram reconstruction

santitos no you wont get a hernia for the rest of youre life it was just that i didnt give it time to settle in as i said i started to do heavy lifting because i felt ok by heavy lifting i mean moving beds around from room to room i know now how silly i was it was just that i am used to being on the go and i got sick of sitting about because i felt so well. good luck imlauder and gemma with youre ops. joanie xx

lmlauder

Gemma, best of luck for Tuesday.
I have my Tram on thursday and my PS has said to wear sports bras for a while Day and Night. I got a couple in K Maxx as M and S wanted £19 (at least Dick Turpin wore a mask when he robbed you)
I suppose the type of bra you can wear will depend on your size Im a 36D

Guest user
Not applicable

hi everyone,

i have my tram flap recon and mas on tuesday and reading this has made me feel a lot better bout the procedure! i'm quite scared but knowing so many people have come throught he other side of it and are pleased they've done it makes me feel a lot better!

thanx everyone

xx

Guest user
Not applicable

JOANIE

Hi santitos had tramflap three years ago but my surgen never mentioned anything like that.as soon as i felt comfortable wearing a bra i did which is when your wounds heal up . Karen good luck to you it was the best thing i have ever done i went 20 years without my breast and i hated it especaly in the summer now i can wear tshirts without a bra it is soooo comfortable i had a reduction on my outher breast .i will say be carefull with lifting things after youre op i felt so well i was doing things that i shouldnt and ended up getting a hernia but had it done and im fine now good luck to you all x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ladies,

I am new to this site, I had a masectomy last Feb 2007 and reconstructive surgery one month ago. I had the TRAM Flap ( AKA) tummy tuck. They tunney my muscle,tissue and blood vessels from my tummy to the chest area and that's how reconstructed the breast. Today I had a follow up appointment with the PS and he said not to use bras for a while as he is worried that the bra would damage the muscle under the reconstructed breast and cause it to die. My question to any of you ladies who've had the same surgery, will I be able to ever wear abra and if so how long following my surgery?

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks for the response. I'm frightened to go back in as I had real bad pain with the drain when I had my masectomy. I had to have it taken out because the pain was so bad even morphine didnt work as it had attached itself to a nerve. How many drains did you have in? I think its going to be getting on for Christmas when I have the op as I am still waiting for my genetic results coming back. If it comes that I have the bad gene then I will have my other breast removed and a double reconstruction done. That means even more fat to come off my tummy!! Cant wait for that to be slim and flat again.

gobby

i had bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction the tram in january 07, and i am feeling great a nice flat tummy and a pair of boobs back at work after 4 months following rads, glad i had it done .it was hard the first 2 months as you are bent forward and have to sleep on your back,but the time soon goes,so good luck

gobby

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Jenny

Thanks for that. Actually now you have mentioned that think my surgeon said same thing. It just seems so long ago since April. Cant remember everything that was said. Think I better give it back. I'm sure we'll get through it. I might not have children or a partner who love me anymore or any finger nails for that matter!!! lol. Think I'll come on here more often as it has really helped me reading peoples' stories. I can relate to alot of them.

Karen

Jennyg

hi - my surgeon said I couldnt go on patches etc as the nicotine is still going in!!! so I have gone cold turkey and finding it really tough - actually that may explain why I have been in tears every night this week!!!

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Lucy

Received your post. Thanks

Karen

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Jenny

I manage to stop for about a week at a time and maybe have an odd draw as my partner smokes and so do most of my friends so I'm finding it increasingly difficult. I am doing ok at the moment as I have been given a nicorette inhaler thing which does help. Dont know if this still counts as smoking though. Im terrified of the next op as I know its a biggy but I am really looking forward to the flat tummy.

ForumMember

Hi Karen

Don't worry, I don't think I made myself clear, when I set your first post live I didn't make a comment but my name comes up in the thread, that's all it was.

I have posted below for you the link to BCC's publication on breast reconstruction, I hope it's helpful. You can either download a copy or order a free copy to be posted out to you. If you wish to discuss breast reconstruction the helpline staff will be only too happy to have a chat with you. The calls are free, lines open Mon - Fri 9am to 5pm and Sat 9am - 2pm. Tel. no 0808 800 6000. Hope this is all of some help to you.

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/content.php?page_id=663

Best wishes
Lucy

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Lucy

I have received this comment but still can't see your first response. Sorry if I'm being thick. You wouldnt think I worked in Admin!!!

Karen

Jennyg

Hi Karen
Im waiting on a date for mastectomy and immediate recon using the tummy tuck method and have also had to stop smoking before they will operate - been told I need to be smoke free for at least 4 weeks...... its not easy but Ive done it for a week so far...... and Im TERRFIED about the op - although the flat tum is a plus ....

ForumMember

Hi Karen

Your comment is above, can you see it yet? It may say 'Lucy' at the side of the comment as I set the post live for you but it's your post that can be read by the other users.

Hope this helps

Lucy

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Lucy (BCC facilitator) on my home page it says you have left a comment but I have not been able to view it. Help

Guest user
Not applicable

tram reconstruction

Hi I am new to this site. I had a masectomy 4 weeks ago and I am waiting on reconstructive surgery. I am going for the tram or more commonly known tummy tuck. I cant wait to have a flat tummy again its been years!!!! Im finding it very hard waiting on a date as I have had to give up smoking. I am also waiting on genetic results coming back to see if I have the faulty gene. I feel since my mamogram on 11/03/08 and diagnosis on 30/04/08 all I have done is waited around. Some info on the recovery and op of the tram would be very welcome.