cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

travel insurance - another question

10 REPLIES 10
JanetS

Re: travel insurance - another question

HOLIDAY INSURANCE MARRS is the best one we could get.

Good luck and enjoy your Hoilday.

Janet x

ForumMember

Dont forget DVTs! I went through the same thoughts about not bothering to get cover for BC related conditions, as most conditions now wouldnt be an emergency.
BUT - if you are on Tamoxifen, you are at increased risk of DVTs, and I guess your regular insurance wouldnt then pay up if you had a DVT once they found out you were on Tamoxifen.
Marrs wouldnt cover me to the Caribbean (3 months after rads & 4 months after chemo ), but I did get cover with \"All Clear\" - £100 for annual world wide cover, which I was really pleased with.

JaneRA

Insurance in the USA I think we all have different attitudes ot risk but I wouldn\'t travel to USA without cover for cancer related conditions. I paid £300 for 8 days in San Francisco a couple of months after treatment (Had lymph involvement.) This was through Freedom Travle...more expensive than Marrs...but Marrs wouldn\'t cover me for some unknown reason.

Its not getting a lump thats the problem..yes that can wait. My nightmare scenarios were:

a) collapsing with a brain tumour
b) havign an accident breaking a bone and discovering the break had been due to cancer spread in bone.

Neither senario happened! And of course unlikely to happen but could...and treatment in the States can cost thousands and thousands and thousands...you can\'t just get a flight home if these nightmares happened.

Don\'t want to put anyone off their hols...I would and do risk EU countries without breast cancer insurance but wouldn\'t do anywhere else.

Jane

patsy88

I\'m going to Canada and not covered for BC For cover for BC i was quoted £1,500 for just four days, without bc cover for a year was £28. If anything is going to happen its hardly going to happen in four days!

IF WE HAVEN\'T HAD ENOUGH TO GO THROUGH!

karen x

patsy88

I\'m going to Canada and not covered for BC For cover for BC i was quoted £1,500 for just four days, without bc cover for a year was £28. If anything is going to happen its hardly going to happen in four days!

IF WE HAVEN\'T HAD ENOUGH TO GO THROUGH!

karen x

embrook

I\'ve travelled to the States with cover that excluded b/c.
My thinking was that anything b/c related that could happen now wasn\'t going to be an emergency. I\'m 8 months post treatment (excluding Tamoxifen and Zoladex).
My breast care nurse was hard pressed to come up with anything that might happen that would require immediate treatment.

If I find a lump - it waits until I get home again (and to be honest - I\'m not checking while I\'m on holiday!!)

If my arm/hand swells up, well, she says it\'ll take 3 weeks to be referred to a lymphoedema person - so I might as well wait on holiday! I take her number with me and I also have a course of antibiotics that I take with me as a precaution - in case I got an infection in that arm/hand.

I couldn\'t think of anything else that might happen that would be caused by breast cancer!

Em

gudrun

i did phone Marrs..this afternoon..they were great..quoted me just under £50....they are sending me all the details by post..they were really good

JosieR

Try Marrs Insurance Brokers Hi Gudrun

There have been many threads on this site concerning travel insurance and Marrs seems to get lots of mentions for providing reasonable quotes. I have an annual policy with them which covers me for bc - admittedly it\'s only for Europe - at a cost of £71. Hubby is included on the policy as well!

There is a Medical Declaration and from memory, you have to be able to answer \"No\" to the following questions:

Is anybody travelling waiting for an operation, hospital consultation (other than for regular check ups), or other hospital treatment or investigations?

Has anybody travelling received treatment for any form of cancer, other than regular medication, in the last 12 months?

So it might be worth giving them a go. Before I got this policy, I did travel abroad without cover for bc as, like you, I worked on the principle that I wasn\'t going to get a sudden attack of bc and if I found a lump, it could wait until I got home. However, if you can get cover at a reasonable cost, it would at least give you peace of mind.

Marrs telephone number is 0870 920 2222.

Hope this helps.

Jo

Squeaky

Travel Hi Gudrun
I would not advise you to travel to the States or anywhere without cover for b/c as hospital costs soon mount up
I work for a company that repatriates people who have taken ill whilst on holiday and my colleagues would probably say the same
There was another thread about travel insurance-dont know wether you have tried any of the travel insurance co\'s mentioned for a qoute.
Good luck
Squeaky

gudrun

travel insurance - another question i am off to florida in oct and have been trying to get a quote. i have no spread/lymph node involvement. my last chemo was over a year ago and i am on tamoxifen....free spirit have just quoted me £1328!!! the other quotes although not as high are still way more than i thought...my question is do people feel okay getting insured but with the b/c not covered....as even if god forbid i found a lump i could wait til i got home etc.....really at a loss what to do..will obviously tell insurance about b/c but wonder wheter to get cover for everything but!

gudrun