travel insurance

hello.

hope somebody can help me or point me in the right direction…new to all this.

diagnised with DCIS (non invasive), had subsequent  successfull  breast reconstruction surgery and  25 sessions of radiotherapy  as precautionary measure. expect to get all clear(totally disease free) at my forthcoming  discharge check up with my oncologist

hoping to take an extended holiday in an eec country(safeguard of EHIC card)  in late april…9 weeks after completion of radiotherapy.

have been advised it may be difficult to get travel insurance.(with possible excesses and non insurance for certain outcomes)…at present I have travel insurance cover through my  tsb  bank account which I have used for many years and never claimed.

can anyone advise me on the negotating tactics for  obtaining travel insurance…what are the main points the insuers wish to cover so that I can be prepared in advance of any direct contact with them.

I have been advised I may need a “fit to travel” letter from my oncologist/gp…has anybody got experience of this  and does anyone have a template letter, or form of words successfully used, which hits the spot with the insurance industry in terms of content.

hopefully my bank will provide the requisite insurance, but failing that can someone recommend other companies who might be  prepared to insure me.?

sorry if this is old ground but I would appreciate any help/pointers/dsuccessfull strategies/points to avoid etcthanks for any help in advance:heart:

Dear eliz,

Welcome to the forum.  I’m sure other members will soon notice your post and come along with some information and support.  Meanwhile I thought the thread “Travel insurance tips” might be of some help.  I have attached a link:

forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Work-finance-and-travel/Travel-insurance-tips-sticky-thread/m-p/494084#U494084

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Hi Eliz 

Nice to hear you are looking forward to taking a holiday after your radiotherapy is finished. I had travel insurance with lloyds tsb through my bank account but as soon as they found out I’d had breast cancer they very politely told me it wasn’t their policy to cover “this condition” even though I offered to pay an extra premium. 

I took out a new policy with a company called  “insurance with” who were very helpful &  didn’t charge a ridiculous rate. They didn’t ask me for a fit to fly letter or any info from my oncologist or gp. I had a Wle, snb in May last year followed by 15 sessions of radiotherapy that finished in July & travelled in October. 

Whilst trying to get insurance I found with some companies it was better to ring them than to fill in the internet form and then you got a quote more tailored to you.

Good luck & enjoy your holiday x

Eliz
Try Insure Pink and Mia, I had insurance with my bank as well and they wouldn’t cover me for breast cancer. I recently bought an annual policy with Insure Pink for £112 which covers worldwide travel. Previous to that went to Spain after Radiotheraphy last year and got a policy from Mia which I think cost abt £60. Hope you enjoy your holiday you deserve it x

I had DCIS with 2x WLEs in 2012 and radiotherapy, and then mastectomy and recon last year, still due to DCIS. I have recently been on a “thank goodness everything’s over I need to get away” holiday to SE Asia and tried several companies for insurance. My previous insurers through my bank wouldn’t cover the condition or anything associated with it even though I told them everything was now sorted. I tried Insure pink and they would, surprisingly,only give me limited cover with a hefty premium. I ended up with LV Insurance, bought the policy online and in the initial health screening said I had had DCIS. The following questions were, was surgical treatment more than 3 months ago? Has there been a progression to breast cancer? If the answers are yes and no they will cover you. I also phoned to check because I was so surprised it was that easy and they were really helpful. I got a world wide excluding US annual policy for £80. Helen x

Hi all- Thought I’d share my experience with Travel Insurance. My partner was DX in November 2013 . We have had a trip to New York planned for this June for a couple of years & I found that a lot of insurance companies (even Insure Pink et al) would not insure her as she will not have finished treatment by the time we are due to go (ongoing Herceptin & Radiotherapy sometime at the end of June). Anyhow , to cut a long story short- I found World First who have insured her for just £67 on top of the standard policy (total £128), even though surgery (lumpectomy & Lymph node removal) was only a couple of weeks ago . I know USA can be difficult to get insurance for so hope it’s useful for someone :slight_smile:

I attempted a quote from go travel insurance and they declined to quote which was a real kick in the teeth. I was diagnosed September 2013 DCIS and had a mastectomy with immediate reconstruction DIEP on 1 October 2013. Commenced tamoxifen and then incidentally had investigations for a fast heart rate and found to have mitral valve regurgitation but do not need any treatment just annual follow up. Touch wood bar fatigue I am back to work doing all and more than diagnosed. So when I declared my conditions and declined it felt worse than the diagnosis for me. I picked myself up and tried Eurotunnel and within ten minutes have insurance for a week to Europe for two people £34.70 one single trip. Eurotunnel basically ask if your consultant says you are fit to travel and not under investigation etc. so do have a look. I know it will not suit everyone’s condition though.