treatment

Hi everyone
I am a new member, having just joined in the early hours of this morning due to the fact that I am unable to sleep!

I was diagnosed with breast cancer on 3rd Jan '08 - a great start to the new year. I had surgery on 25th Jan and have my first session of chemo on 12th March. Feeling very down at the thought of all the possible side effects and have shed a few tears on the subject of losing my hair. I have had my hair cut short in readiness and purchased a wig last week. I have a great hairdresser who came with me to help me select one and a good friend came along too for moral support and advice.

Jacqui

Hi Jacqui - sorry you have had to join us but hope you will find the support here that I and so many others have.

There is a wealth of information and experience between the members, who are willing to answer any question, no matter how silly it may seem. It is a long learning curve having bc, and sometimes the terminology sounds like a foreign language, but there is always someone ready to help and advise.

I don’ t know if you have visited the Oncology Dept. yet, but if not, when you do, ask the Onc nurses if the cold cap is suitable for your particular chemo. I had FEC chemo and although the nurse said the cold cap was suitable, in only worked in about 10% of people, I decided I had nothing to lose, but my hair, so tried it. It does prolong the treatment time by about one and a half hours, but I did keep my hair. It thinned on top, but no-one noticed or if they did, were too tactful to say anything. I got a voucher on the NHS (up to £120) and had to go to a designated wig shop/hair salon where they saw me in a private room. It took about 10 days to get it, and when I went to pick it up, a stylist cut it to my normal style. It looked great - hubby said it was better than my own hair! My bc nurse gave the voucher to me - not all hospitals do this, but it is worth asking. As you have already purchased a wig, perhaps this is irrelevant.

Side effects from chemo vary greatly with the individual. One suggestion is that you do take the anti-sickness drugs they will give you to take home. Even if you don’t feel nauseous, still take them, as they do prevent your feeling sick. Anything wih ginger also helps - I seemed to drink gallons of ginger ale, ginger beer, and occasionally a drop of Stone’s ginger wine topped up with ginger ale.

I am sure you will have some (or a lot!) of questions, as your treatment progresses, so do come back if you need any advice or emotional support.

Take care,
Liz.

Hi Jacqui

Like Liz , I’m sorry you have had to join us but I’m sure you will find lots of support here.

I finished all my treatment for breast cancer in June 2007 (apart from taking tamoxifen for 5 years). Just wondering from your name are you being treated in Brighton? I had my chemo and radiotherapy at the Sussex Cancer Centre in Brighton and used the cold cap when I was on chemo to prevent losing my hair. It worked quite well for me but was a little uncomfortable and meant I had to stay at the hospital longer but I never woke up in the morning bald! So I thought it was worthwhile.Not sure if you had thought of giving thecold cap a try.

Chemo side effects vary between the different ones. Do you know which chemo you will be having yet?

If there is anything you think I might be able to help with just shout.

All the best and take care.

Love Lollie x

Hi Jacqui

I see you are just down the road from me. I am a Sussex lady too and was diagnosed one day after you…4th Jan. I had surgery 1s feb and am seeng the Onc at Brighton Cancer Centre. I have been asked if I want to take part in the TACT2 trial and I feel the same as you pretty nervous at the thought of chemo. !! I a due to see trial nurse this week and have chemo info session and will get my date for chemo to start.

I have yet to get my wig but have been told about a place in Hove and Trevor Sorbie salon who cut them.

Sorry you had to join this site as I think we all feel he same about that but there are fantastic women on here who I find such an inspiration.

I go to a great support group in West Sussex if you would like to know more just ask…

Best wishes

Paula

hi Jacqui
sorry youve had to join this club… but there’s tons of good info and support here… plus have you used the phone helplines? They can put you in touch with a ‘buddy’ - they will match you with someone who has a similar diagnosis and treatment as yourself but who is two years further down the line. I found my ‘buddy’ invaluable - she gave me lots of good tips and strategies and talked me through all the fears and worries I had and we even had a laugh about things… plus it was good to speak with someone who was alive after two years - I was so sure I would die before now (diagnosed oct07)!!!

what chemo are you getting? Im 4x epirubicin (3 down - hurrah!) then 4x CMF
Chemo is different every time - but you will find out what helps…drinking lots, eating bland food for the first few days - small meals every few hours kept me going - try and make them protein rich - I found I could eat cooked cold chicken best,
and wheatabix with cold milk was good fro breakfasts. If you have anything like heartburn - ask for something for it. Same with constipation - I had both and after the first time took the extra tablets and had no bother with them. Its said that the calmer you are with this the better - mmm - not always easy…but worth a try…maybe a friend could go with you when you get your chemo?

Keeping a short diary of your symptoms is good too - coz then you can see how you feel session by session , and how as you go through the weeks between the sessions your body picks up again - its handy to look back and see coz the time passes so quickly that its hard to remember how each session was…

good luck Jaqui - you are never alone - we are there on the same road as you…
take care
suex

Hi Jacqui

I am sorry to read of your recent diagnosis and hope you are finding the forums of some help and support.

You may also find useful BCC’s resource pack, which has been designed for those newly diagnosed. The pack is free of charge as are all our publications. If you would like a copy just follow the link below:
breastcancercare.org.uk//content.php?page_id=7514

If you feel you need to talk to someone in confidence then please give the helpline a call, the staff here are all either breast care nurses or people who have personal experience of breast care issues. The number to call is 0808 800 6000 the lines open Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm and Saturdays 9am - 2pm.
I hope this is of some help to you.

Kind regards

Sam
BCC Facilitator

Hi Jacqui,
Sorry you are having to join us on here but you will get lots of help and support - especially the ‘top tips while going through chemo’ very useful. i am another West Sussex lady and found the ‘team’ at the Brighton cancer centre very kind and helpful. like Paula said there is a good local support group too - well worth a vist when you feel up to it. Try the cold cap for your hair - it worked well for me but it is quite uncomfortable.
Hope all goes well with your treatment
cheers
caroline

Hi Caroline

So you did the cold cap then? How many sessions of chemo did you have again?

Have you finished all your treatment now?

Cheers

Paula

Hi Paula,
Yes the cold cap worked well for me (I had 6 X FEC). It is a bit like putting your head in a bucket of ice for the first ten minuits then you kind of get used to it. The nurses were good and brought lots of extra blankets to keep me warm. After session no 2 lots of hair came out on my hairbrush and the scalp was very tender i though oh dear it hasn’t worked but didn’t touch my scalp for a couple of days and eventually it sort of settled down. The lady sitting next t me had a long pony tail and she managed to keep most of her hair too so I’de say give it a go, but it is a very personal thing and I’m not sure if it works so well with TACT2. I finished chemo in Sept 07 but am still on hormone treatment. My hair is almost back to normal now and i am looking forward to getting it coloured soon!
cheers
caroline

Hi Caroline

Ekkk bucket of ice…well I will give it a go but for me its the time factor as I have little ones at home so will have to see how childcare goes…or rather how my mum copes with my mad 16mnth old. !!!

How great to have finished all the treatment now. How do you feel in yourself?

Yes I know all the drugs on this Tact2 trial will cause hair lose. As of yet I dont know if its a definate yet as due to go to Brighton end of week for chemo info session.

I know that Epirubicin is in each arm of the trial. My BC nurse says its the gold standard of chemo…!!mmhhhh the red elixir, maybe its to do with being triple negative…who knows.!! A friend of mine who had the same DX as me except her tumour was pretty large(60mm) was given FEC last year as her treatment.

Anyway enjoy getting your locks coloured…I will miss my red hair !.

Best wishes

Paula

Hi Paula,
You ask how I feel in myself now. Well i thought i was back to ‘normal’ or at least a sort of new normal whatever that is but things have been a bit harder than i expected. I am back at work p/t but feel very tired and ‘crabby’ - wonder if i have gone back too soon? Also it’s nearly a year since my diagnosis and I’m having a bit of a wobble. Don’t let me put you off, the year has gone so fast and there have been lots of good times along the way. Good luck with the chemo - have you got someone to take you to the hospital - i would recommend it as you will be fairly zonked afterwards.
Let us know how it goes
cheers
caroline

Hi Caroline

I expect things have been fairly hard and its still not long since you finished and you know what you are allowed to be crabby and have a wobble. I have moody days now and I haven’t even started chemo. Its a huge thing this BC but you are over the treatment now and be kind to yourself and I am sure all that you feel is very normal…in as far as normal goes !
You have many good fun times ahead now…get out there and live it. Its gone now…well and truly so raise a glass and say good riddance…!!
I have hubby taking me to chemo and if he can’t then I have had some offers so will see how it goes.
You stay happy and positive

P x