triple negative bc stage 3 large lump

hi I’ve just found out I’m TN & have read there’s more chance of the cancer returning can you opt for a mastectomy or will they only do the minimum to get you better? x

hi madd,
Your team will make sure you have the best treatment plan for your diagnosis, which will include everything that needs to be done, there’s no difference.
I dont have a TN diagnosis, but from what I’ve read, outcomes are getting better all the time.
There is a section for ladies with TN diagnosis in the ‘just diagnosed’ thread who will be able to support.
ann x

My experience has been that for surgery my team has let me make the major decisions I wanted to make.

I’d not say that they do the minimum needed at all and it was the opposite for me. It’s been a bit of a “shock” having had very rationed treatment from the NHS for other health conditions to be treated so thoroughly by the surgical team.

I needed a couple of appointments to make a decision on treatment of my lymph nodes which they did with no problems or complaints at all. I reached a decision that was at odds with the advice of one surgeon but I did this fully informed of the issues. They accepted this and were very supportive. The only bad thing was my BC nurse who was useless and not trained well enough to talk through options. 

The Surgical team went beyond what I expected and even considered the aesthetic look of the breast after surgery as well. It was not a “cheap” service.

Other people may have had different experiences of course. There are some insensitive cancer consultants out there.

My advice, from my personal experience, would be to ignore the breast care nurse if you find them useless or feel “fobbed off” on to them and keep talking to your consultant as much as you need to. If you are not happy with your treatment make an official compliant or ask to see someone else if you are not listened to. 

Sorry that you are in this position and I hope it goes as well as possible for you.

Hi I was diagnosed in January 2017 with tnbc,they should give you the option to have a mastectomy.I have the genes test on Thurs.I’m not coping at all with what is happening xx

Hello there,

im not triple negative either, but I really believe they will do everything they can to help you fight this awful disease.

by the way, I understand why you googled links etc, but its always best to speak to your team…you will find

they are more reliable…stats never arexxx

Moijanxxx???