triple negative breast cancer - mastectomy or bilateral mastectomy?

Hi I have triple negative breast cancer on one breast and agreed at the very beginning to have a mastectomy as oposed to a a lumpectomy. This was due to to the size and aggression of the lump compared to the size of my breast (b cup).

I have not had the braca1 or 2 test as I do not meet the criteria! This leaves me with a missing piece of the jigsaw as the consultant said if I had been braca positive he would hace advised a double mastectomy!

Having done quite a bit of research my opinion is to have a double mastectomy without a reconstruction. I am 99% sure about my decision but interested to hear from others in the same or similar position. I have spoken to several women at the hospital who have had breat cancer three times! This is not for me. My rationale for a doble mastectomy is:

Missing info on braca 1 and 2

Dont want to go through this again, if it comes back elsewhere ie a main organ or brain I will deal with it but do not want to go through breasr cancer again

From a cosmetic point of view i want to be balanced down as opposed to balanced up.

My consultant agreed at the last meeting to follow my wishes but I have since heard she has changed her mind so still need to some convincing.

Anybody out there in a similar position or what to throw in any advice.Thanks

Hi the4watsons and welcome to the BCC forums

Along with the support and shared experiences you have here please feel free to call our helpliners for further practical and emotional support. Lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays on 0808 800 6000

Here’s the link to the BCC ‘treatments’ area of the site along with reconstruction information which I hope you will find helpful:

breastcancercare.org.uk/treatment

Take care
Lucy BCC

Hi there

I have had a double mastectomy and had implants as no further treatment needed. I had 2 cancerous tumours in one breast and because of family history my consultant advised me to have both breasts removed. I am now going for genectic testing to see if i have the BRAC gene so my girls can be checked.

I think yuo should stick to what you want and try and reason with yr consultant.

Wishing you all the best

xx

Hi there

I was diagnosed with triple negative grade 3 . Complete no brainer to me… Had double mastectomy in nov ember, no recon. I have been fine with the new look and wanted to do the maximum I could to try and prevent it coming back