cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trish is on gmtv this morning

65 REPLIES 65
maryfrod

Re: trish is on gmtv this morning

At the end of the day it doesn't pick who it attacks or what diet we follow,and the more it is in the public eye the better.Celeb or not chemo is chemo,rads is rads,our bodies dictate how we react.We allow our closest to see the rough times and put on a face for our own public,so let her be.

ForumMember

She could already be on the site debs lol but with a nickname so we wouldnt know who she was!

xxx

debsincornwall

Hi to all
a few months ago I was on breakfast tv it was with regard to avastin and it not being available on the NHS I wanted to co pay but the government would not allow a 2 tier system. The feedback from all the morning presenters was so positive and they were all really kind with good wishes. Their attitude was "oh my God this is disgraceful these drugs should be available to all on the NHS" This really helped my cause I got the drug and I am still trying to make it available to all that need it.
Trish is high profile and we need people in the media to help us all, she comes across as a women who would help so I hope she does come on this site. I am sorry she has been diagnosed with this s..t disease but maybe just maybe she will be able to help others.

Love Debsxxx

ForumMember

I had a thought this afternoon. What if she was to search on the net for support networks, she is human after all and could find this site. I think she would be so upset if she read some of the things that have been expressed about her, when she is suffering from Cancer. I think sometimes we forget that yes its good to debate subjects, but this is the internet and anyone can read our comments and I am sure nobody on here would want to cause hurt to anyone let alone someone suffering from Cancer.

Food for thought I think.

bmt56

Hi
I didnt see the interview, but after listening to all the comments went on gmtv web site.
i found Trish to be honest and in need of some understanding and a supportive shoulder. much like we all need. Her husband was the one who made her cut her hair and dye it just to show the media what was happening, before the rumour mongers got in. Celebs dont always go out looking for publicity. Perhaps this will and should bring BC into the light for a short time till some other celeb breaks a finger nail or something.
Go Trisha

mazaroo

Hi all .... came in at the end of all this ..and it would appear that it has got a few backs up ... I didnt see the interview and therefore cant comment I have seen the newspaper reports and have drawn the conclusion that this is the way the press works in this country .... we all know on this site how we have been affected by this awful disease and will continue to do so long after treatment has finished ...As for celebs if thats how they want to deal with it up to them .I remember the singer Anastacia being dx with it we never heard any more about it from that day to this .,people deal in different ways ..but on this site we are real ordinary people who all have one thing in common that F********g disease ,I have had great support from this site and my friends on FB ... you all know who you are !! And for that I thank you all from the bottom of my heart ,we will all continue with our battle as will the many thousands more yet to be dx ,but will be in the future
So lets continue to be there for each other in our horrendous journey ,no one can blame us if we want to vent our spleens occasionally ..and this site is certainly the place to do it xxxxxx

Maximise

Thanks Jules x

ForumMember

Maximise, you have actually summed up exactly how I feel! Well done for having the guts to say it. At the end of the day Tricia, maybe be a celebrity, but she is also a human being who has CANCER! She will be going through exactly the same emotions as everyone else who has this awful disease. I watched a bit of the interview and she actually said she feels ok now, but does not know how she will feel a few months down the line.

I have had depression, and I know she has battled this too. I think alot of what she has said has been totally taken out of context.

Thank you for your posting.

ps She did actually show her vulnerability to Fiona Philips, by saying that she had not told anyone she was ill, but wanted to confide in one person in case she lost it. (That person being Fiona).

Maximise

I didnt see Trishas interview on GMTV but did read her interview in Hello & also watch her morning show (well sometimes) I thought I would add my ten pence worth. As we are all aware each and every one of us are individuals and deal with things our own way however that may be. Personally I feel Trisha is a strong woman well considering what she has all been through in her life, alot of things that could have pushed many a person over the brink, ok that may well be her public persona but she has also admitted she is very scared about starting chemo, which was very honest of her to do. So she had her hair shaved and dyed blond and she says that is her sticking two fingers up at cancer. Good for her. I have the utmost respect for her and yet again on a breast cancer forum, there are people who are actually slagging her off, it beggars belief. She is in the limelight, like Kylie, it seems they cannot please everyone.... well I will say not everyone on this site pleases me, so if they were in the limelight I would be perhaps discussing them too. I would say give her a break, but I could imagine if Trisha or Kylie had said nothing about their breast cancer experience there would be an outcry about that too.. Some people are never happy.

To Trisha, wishing you the utmost best wishes to get through this horrible time and respect you for having your voice to express your opinions. I do not believe for one minute anyone is naive enough to think that Trisha is having an easy time and because she chooses to appear strong in front of the camera why should that be critisiced ? During my experience and obviously i am not in the limelight only my husband saw the real me , but for everyone else i put on a very brave face, why you may ask because thats me and thats who i am.

and i think the reason Fiona Philips interviewed Trisha was Fionas mum was diagnosed with breast cancer a few years ago so obviously she has alot of empathy regarding the situation.

maximise

debbi

whats up with fiona philips?oh yes...she is famous,which some people seem to be so bitter about.fame I mean

suzieb

I only saw the news report not the interview later in morning but it made me really angry and upset. We are all out there fighting to get on with our lives despite some days feeling awful about how we look and are perceived by others. However we don't have the chance to express our feelings and experience's on TV because we are not "celebrities" Why doesn't GMTV do a week on speaking to us about how we feel and have coped - I am sure that they must have a researcher who would be interested in this.
I would volunteer as long as I don't have to speak to Fiona Philips!!
Suzie B
xx

ForumMember

Sukes - I think she had a lumpectomy and I also think she has had only one chemo. That's the impression I got.

Liz xx

dawnhc

I didn't watch the trish programme but wanted to join in because sometimes, just sometimes, it is like she tells it. When I was first diagnosed 18 years ago with a large tumour - 5cm I had chemo and 35 sessions of rads. I truly believed I was coming home to spend the rest of my days in bed till I died. People didn't tend to talk about cancer very much back then - it was still the BigC talked of in hushed tones if at all. Even my husband said he didn't think we should tell anyone. Well I am happy to say I never spent a single day in bed. I didn't feel ill or tired at all. I sailed through the rads with no tiredness or burning. We had started our own business 4 years prior to the dx and it was hard work but my dx did not affect that and I was able to continue working throughout. So if I had read about the horrors of chemo and rads after that I would have wondered what all the fuss was about. Of course now I know better. I was very fortunate then but have since had many other chemos, surgeries, rads and everyone of them has been awful. What I am trying to say is that for some it is possible to go through the treatments with very few ill effects - they are not pretending - it is just how it is for them.

dawnhc

sarssquatty

I watched the Trisha interview and like many of you I had mixed feelings about Trisha, I thought great she is confronting it, and publisicing BC, then like AJ and many others I thought well I don't look like that after 6 chemo, and I couldn't run 5k before or after but I did used to do gym and swimming so was relatively fit!!

Wait till the FATIGUE hits I defy it to not hit a celebrity!!! Like many I wonder was she doing the interview for herself to keep the press at bay, (Let's be honest what would they pay for a picture of her on a bad day?!) I think it was a false impression of BC and chemo, but this is just from my perspective and I am sure many others have had different/ better experiences than I have had. Yes she has a private physio and obviously the money to buy anything, BUT I cannot knock the NHS for the treatment I have had and the speed it was detected, picked up and operated on. I just smiled at the 5K and 15 hour day DREAM ON I say!!!!

It will be interesting to see if she does another interview a few months down the line.
And as for Fiona Phillips.......... Least said the better

I know it was a different cancer but I thought Russell Watson has shown great courage, and I also thought that girl with bone cancer who was in the news yesterday showed true courage and bravery, both inspired me.

I was glad Debbi started this because I was thinking of it just to see people's reactions I think it is important that we debate these things it helps us and keeps those brains alive!!

I think we have all shown courage, bravery and strength, (just getting out of bed some days or going out with the wig on is a sign of strength for some people and equivalent to 5K!!)

Everybody deals with it differently.

A DX of BC is a huge emotional shock, but with love and care and treatment we do come out of it maybe a different person to whom we were.

Sarah x

sukes

Interesting thread

What was Trish's dx?

Sukes

ForumMember

Yes it does and I thought what about us that weren't caught early. xx

KatherineM

yes I saw the news on this,

I dont think it told us anything we didnt know, screening works, older women with low grade tumours can live full life spans (note on average) if it is caught early through screening - where is the suprise in this? It tells us exactly what we all know

Catherine

annamarie

they are bringing in screening a whole 3 years earlier at the age of 47, my bcn was telling me about it the other day!!!! its a positive move forward but its a small step. of course its gone debbi, i agree the constant fear drives me insane, im only 35 i need to think ive got the rest of my life ahead of me, Anna

debbi

think i am going to leave this site,dont like debates anymore,all I know is my cancer has gone and I dont want to sit here thinking oh my...what if it comes back,I have had a double mastectomy and having my ovaries out this summer so how is it going to get me again?i would be extremely unluckyi do sit here and worry that it will come back but I dont want to otherwise I will never get on with my life properly,yes it does change the way you think but as I said above there is nothing else for me to do but grasp the thought that its gone and wont come back,and if some think I am naive then so be it.

sorry for my rant x

belinda

Hi AJ..I only caught the end of the news report..it is definitely good news but don't know if it was mentioned in the report at the beginning that women should be being offered screening much, much earlier..there are so many of us that use the secondaries forums that are sadly still not anywhere near the age to be called up for screening invites.

CeceliaL

Just to put my few pen'orth in, Trisha makes me really angry.

I'm sorry, I know being dx'd with this disease is as bad for celebrities as it is for us... but her whole attitutde is just attention seeking nonsense. Dying her hair bleach blonde and having it cropped in anticipation of her chemo just made me sick I'm afraid. Supposedly "sticking 2 fingers up to it" . I would not have put anything on my head after hearing what colouring etc. can do to you.

Kylie was a poster girl for this disease I think, she showed all her vulnerability with it. The film "White Diamond" came out while I was bald and in the middle of chemo, suffering quite a lot really and it made me cry to watch it.

I wish Trisha all the best but all this bravado is not doing anything whatsoever for us to describe what this disease does to you.

Sorry for the rant!

Cecelia. x

ForumMember

Just mentioned this on another thread but did anyone see a report on the news tonight encouraging women to accept invitations to breast screening cos apparantly women with early DX are now expected to live a full life span, this is great news cos normally they only give you the 10 year stats dont they.

ForumMember

I must admit Debbi my mum was told by the Marsden there was a chance she could be totally cured, and that is what I am hanging onto. I have heard of people having bc and then beating it and living another 30 years and dying of something totally different. I NEED to believe my mum will be cured and be positive as the other thing is far too horrible to think about.

debbi

I know my cancers gone.........

mammabee

Hi all

Have to agree wholeheartedly with AJ - I'm sick to the back teeth of reading that Kylie is cured, in remission or has beaten BC. As many on here can testify there's no such thing as all clear with this disease & it can rear it's ugly head many many years later. Now Trisha is letting the world think that looking great & running 5k is the 21st century woman's response to chemo. It's like we can't be seen to say we're finding it hard because there is this myth that if you "give in" etc your days are numbered.

No doubt many of you, like myself, have found that as soon as chemo/rads and or surgery is over those around us assume that's the end of it - the cancer's gone. It ain't necessarily so. Not meaning to be negative, just need to rant, grrrrr!!

I'm now off to run a marathon & eliminate world poverty...

Love from the less than super brigade
xx

ForumMember

You are really welcome, I have been one of the lucky ones Debbi and I hope that I can give something back after all the wonderful support ladies like yourself have given me. xxxxxx

debbi

Hi jules1964

You have been such a support to me too and many other women off here. thank you x x

tina57

I havent seen the Trisha interveiw but i do know that she has run for years as it helps her with the depression she suffers with, and i also feel as fit and healthy as i did befor my dx only a few minor aches and pains from my surgery, although I havent started my radiotherapy yet, I may sail through that or I may not who knows ,Trisha may also begin to get periods of terror and pain. if she gets special treatment because of who she is and how much money she has ,I know its disgracefully unfair,but I think good luck to her because if i had the money i would pay anything to get rid of this disease in the easiest and most stress free way that i could. not have to worry about what postcode i live in. and to those who were able to run 5ks befor dx and cant do so now there is no need to feel inadequate because we are all different and in all probability in a week or two Trisha wont be able to either.

rachy7

I went through the menopause at 34 as had a hysterectomy due to severe endemetriosis and I have no children. I did not decide on having children but after the op and my hormones were racing I felt that I had loast that choice. However, i could have carried on as I was before the hysterectomy - I was disabled by endemetriosis. That was 4 years ago and now I have bc so bring on the treatments, I want to live... for me and my family. I must look at the Caron Keating book as seems to stir up alot of emotions.

Rach xx

ForumMember

You are right, we are all entitled to our opinions and after reading about poor Lisa nothing else seems really important now.

I feel so terribly sad, like everyone on here will do.

RIP LISA XXX

maryfrod

Jules
We are all entitled to our opinion,and I made mine also,don't take it personally

Mary

ForumMember

Well its my opinion and I think I am entitled to it, but I have been made to feel bad for saying it now.

Debbi you have been such wonderful support to me, and I will always be grateful to that, I think you an amazing person!

Jules xxxxx

debbi

Hi ajxxxx
I didnt think your comments were directed at me,after all we do chat on fb so didnt think that at all,I only put it as I was up early and thought other people would be interested in it,going off what a few other people have said I dont feel inadequate whan they say they can do this and that,I just get on with what I can do and thats it,I dont say ,oh no i cant do so and so,saying all that though I didnt have chemo but I have been through the mill a bit and 2 years on am still not fully fit but if I had a personal trainer like trisha probably has I would definitely have been fitter,but I dont feel bitter about stuff like that,but I do find it so hard to motivate myself to go for a walk,as am totally on my own down here and too scared to walk in the woods etc as I cant defend myself at the minute,we have all had different experiences of bc so all going to have different reactions,I used to be so angry that I had to get it,but not now,just think,thats life get on with it.People on here have really helped me in the last few months to do that,as I was angry with this site too,people putting negative comments etc upset me a bit,not now though ,I just seem to have set something bad off again and I hate that really.

debbi x

maryfrod

I have read the book and don't see that she failed her children at all,like all of us she had decisions to make for her,and like all of us she had a supportive family who moved heaven and earth to make her last days as she wished.None of us know what to expect and we are all different,but celeb or not,this disease does not choose who it affects,so we should allow each other the dignity to react as we see fit for ourselves and our families.

Mary

ForumMember

There was a thread about her book a few months ago. This is what I posted then.

"had mixed ideas whether to read this book. I picked it up at a boot sale last year for 25p. I seemed to be going through a stage of "depressing books" as my husband calls them. You know the ones with a boy on the cover and you know once you start to read you will uncover lots of really awful things that the poor child has endured. I also read the Sally Clarke book, god that was such a gross miscarriage of justice. Anyway I did have the Gloria book on my list of books to read. Then my mum was diagnosed and I thought maybe, maybe not. I think I will go with the maybe not as it seems that Caron didnt put her poor boys first in any shape or form. And before anyone jumps on me and says she had cancer, yes I agree but we as mothers do all we can to protect our children and be there for them. It seems Caron failed them by refusing tried and tested treatments. It is only my opinion so sorry if it upsets or offends anyone."

I have since spoken to people who have read the book and have discussed it at great length. One friend who has bc explained to me that the reason she didn't want to take the drugs that hopefully would have saved her life, was because she didn't want to go through the menopause early. I have two children. I nearly died having the second one. I was told during the birth of my son would I be willing to have a hysterectomy which ofcourse would of brought on the menopause early or risk bleeding to death. I didnt want to loose my womb at 29!!! but if it had been the choice of loosing my womb or my children loosing their mother then there would be no choice, so sorry if it offends anyone but the forum is here so I thought to voice our opinions and that is mine.

And I agree with others Kylie has dealt with her cancer in such a dignified way, having to put up with her so called partner cheating on her and then leaving her.

My husband lost his mother to bc when he was a child, so I know first hand how badly it has effected the rest of his and his sisters life.

ps Judging by Katys post I was not the only one who was angered by Caron Keating.

belinda

I'm so sorry to hear your friend has died Irene, I use the secondaries forum often so knew from postings your friend was very ill.
And also agreeing with Irene..please can we let Caron Keating rest in peace..however she chose to deal, cope, live with her disease it was her difficult decision alone.

ForumMember

Hi Debbi
I tried to put this on earlier this afternoon and pressed the wrong ruddy button again and lost all I had typed, man that annoys me. Anyway what i wanted to say is please dont think my comments were made against what you said, they truly weren't meant in that way and i am glad you started the thread cos I would have said what I said on another thread anyway. I just struggle with the way the media seem to glamourise breast cancer, I was talking to a representative from Breast Cancer Campaign recently and she said that whenever they try and run any media coverage they are always asked to present women who are under 30, slim and beautiful and they just wont show BC for the harsh reality that it is.

I personally think that Kylie dealt with her battle in a dignified, private way and has only recently started to talk about it publicly which is a good thing cos at least she didn't present herself as some kind of heroic figure that we should all aspire to be like. Some of us have a really hard time with the treatment and this fact simply isn't acknowledged publicly, that was all I was trying to say.

I'm so sorry if you thought I was getting at you and your thoughts in some way, that wasn't my intention at all.

AJxxx

kayty

What is the Caron Keating story that made everyone so angry?? Can't remember?

Kay

delamere

Is it just me but when they are reporting on a celebrity they seem to zone in the chemo treatment and not the breast surgery. Yes chemo is awful and an acievement to egt through it but the breast surgery to me has more of a long term effect, but celebrities don't seem to want to talk about what they have had done.
Sorry for ranting and i do applaud trisha for coping and best wishes to her.

IreneM

AJ spot on. Tonight I have posted about the death of my friend from this terrible disease. It is truely awful for the sufferer and their family, and while I wouldn't wish any bad on anyone, I do think Trisha is either very lucky, or a good actress. BC is not cosy, and the true stories of real people without bundles of cash need to be told more frequently than these suddenly fit and healthy stars. It is 18 mths since my dx and I am still pretty unwell compared to how I was. Hearing that she, only recently diagnosed, is running 5km daily just makes me feel inadequate, and that maybe I should try harder!

And can I ask what did Caron Keating do to deserve that comment from Jules1964?

Irene

annamarie

Hi, i just wonder who cleans the celebs toilets after they have been sick, bet its not themselves for sure!!!!

mouseH

Everybody copes differently in whatever situation they are in. We can't expect Trisha to feel and cope in the ways we have all done. The way I coped with BC is different to how it affected friends. 8 times out of 10 I felt like a fraud, I had more ok days than bad days even during chemo. So many people could not believe how well I looked and how well I look now. On the other hand a friend had such a bad time with chemo and was constantly in out of hospital, and in no way did we ever feel we were "competing" at who has suffered more. Your life expeiences make you the person that you are. Whatever you have had to face and endure in life makes you maybe cope better or not cope at all. Physically, emotionally we all hurt, BC robs you of the person you once were, it makes you think of your mortality and really brings home how unpredictable life is, one moment you are here and next moment you are not.

No matter how positive and well you soldier on BC changes your life, it makes you want to really live your life in being happy and being surrounded by all those people you cherish, you want to hold on to them forever. So if Trish wants to run 5km so be it, thats her way of dealing with things, In no way should this be a reflection on how everyone else goes through this cancer. I infact celebrate her and applaude her in getting on with her life and being the person she is for her friends and family and not letting this horrible, horrible disease define her as woman.

lilacblushes

I agree that it can make some ppl feel inadequate when they watch interviews or read about ppl such as Trisha coping so well with having treatment and still working 15 hours a day and looking so damn good to boot.

I have said many many times on this site that my treatment plan was on the easier side of things compared to the ladies who've had mastectomy and/or chemo then rads but even at that there is no way I could have worked a 15 hour day. I think the media have a duty to not glamourise cancer treatment but at the same time they do have to be careful not to scare the living daylights out of everyone by only showing cancer patients (be they regular ppl like you & I or celebrities) looking like a bag of sh**e all the time. We all need a bit of inspiration along the way and I suppose that is what they are trying to do with Trisha. As someone else has said she is at the start of her treatment so perhaps a little further down the line her working capacity and her radiance may dwain a bit.

ForumMember

Debs - don't say sorry - if you hadn't started the thread somebody would have - and maybe it could have been me!

I feel that Kylie didn't come to the media like Trish did and I just feel that she could have made a lot of people feel very inadequate. I am sure it wasn't her intention but she did me anyway

Kylie just got on with it

Liz xx

WestsideSue

I suppose if "celebrities" get it, it proves bc isn't discriminating!!! It must be terrible to not be able to be "real" about how you feel from day to day coz of the media attention. I mean, if the papparazi were at my door now, they sure as heck wouldn't get any cash for the pics!!! At least we are left alone to get on with this as best we can, with the love and support of our friends and family, without unwarranted intrusion and pressure from the media.

ForumMember

The one thing I did find helpful about celebs having this dreadful disease, particulary Kylie was that she seems to have come through it and seems to be winning and she is kind of my inspiration regarding my mum. When my mum was first dx with cancer this year, I had this horrible feeling that she would die, the reason being everyone I knew who had had bc had died, my hubbys mum, my auntie, and five friends mums, so I thought omg my mum will be like them and die and I was distraught then I took one look at how well Kylie was coping and hopefully winning and it made me feel so much better about my mum.

I don't think celebs (in my opinion make the illness any less awful than it is) Remember poor Linda McCartney and if I am right her death helped bring the illness much more into the public eye and I think there are/is centres funded in her name. Someone told me this, so if I am wrong on that fact I apologise. The only celeb who has had bc that makes me blood boil is that Caron Keating, I feel she so badly let her children down.

Leeloo

People just like a good rant, I know I do and it's given us all something to focus our frustration on today,
So in theory you did me a favour cause once I got all that off my chest I felt nicely relaxed.
Thank you

Lisa
xoxo

debbi

thats ok,wont say I enjoyed it,dont enjoy anything to do with this illness,sorry that I got everyone worked up. x

Leeloo

Awww Debi, don't think anyone wanted to make you feel bad. People just have different outlooks on things.

Sorry if I offended you on this one just got a bit wired up about it.

If you enjoyed the interview that's great, as I said before everyone copes and deals with things in their own way.

L
xoxo

debbi

I wish I hadnt said anything now,I was interested in what she had to say.should have just kept it to myself.