trying to come to terms with secondry dx

i am trying to come to terms with the secondry dx i have gone from a local reccurrance to secondries in the lungs, so far i am ok with the herceptin and the chemo so far, and my scan is in 5 weeks, i just hoping that it is working, this is what is playing on my mind does anybody else feel like this .

Hi lollypop59

I have put for you below links to some of BCC’s publications which I hope will help you through this. Please don’t forget, the helpline staff are also here to support you through this.

Secondary BC:
www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/secondary-breast-cancer/secondary-breast-cancer-bcc58

Secondary resource pack:
www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/secondary-breast-cancer/secondary-resource-pack-bcc173

Support:
www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/about-breast-cancer-care/support-people-living-secondary-breast-cancer-sm25

I hope these help. Take care,
Jo, Facilitator

Hi I’m a second lung met person with centre node inv i know how you feel its very hard to come to terms with things I’ve 3 children and can’t think about the future all we can do is plan a day at a time I’ve had 2 lots of chemo dx march last year both have shrunk the mets so that’s great gd luck with y scan and results feel free to pm me if u wanna chat laura

Haya Hun, I don’t think we ever come to term with our secondary diagnosis, perhaps just learn to live with it. I feel cheated and very sad that my 3 young children may have to bury me - heartbreaking… However…as the months roll on, and we respond to treatment, family life kind-of takes over my thoughts and optomism for the future starts to creep in…I sleep now ( didn’t sleep properly for 6 weeks after dx) and am even planning this summer’s family holiday…what you are feeling is so normal…I’m just learning to live with it, so make each day a good one! Don’t get too caught up in the " oh, poor ol’e me" syndrome - put on your slap, decent clothes and have some fun, enjoy the life and family that you have and enjoy your time with loved ones…xx

It is such a shock lollypop and I remember that day when I was told I had secondaries and they were extensive throughout my bones. I really thought I only had months if I was lucky and would probably spend much of that in a wheelchair. Now as I look back over 10 years since that day I wonder where the years have gone (8 of them on herceptin - my miracle drug. As I look even further back to 1990 when I was first diagnosed, and all the local recurrences/new primaries that happened as well, I think it is a miracle to be alive. I have celebrated so much I never thought I would live to see like our silver & ruby wedding anniversaries, our children graduate from unis, a daughter married, our first grandchild… So try and live with hope, enjoy each small achievement, plan little things not too far ahead but that you can look forward to and slap the makeup on!!! LOL and make people say - you do look well.

Hope that scan in 5 weeks brings you encouragement.

Dawn
xx

Lollypop,

I think Dawn and the other ladies have given you some brilliant words of wisdom, I remember when I was dx back in March last year with both primary and multiple lung mets, I was all doom and gloom understandably but as time goes by you realize life is too short to concentrate on the bad stuff, I decided to seize the day and live for the moment I used to be a planner and organizer I don’t plan anything now just go with the flow see where the day will take me and enjoy the good times while they last, occasionally I have a bad day but they are now less frequent and you do adapt and learn to live with this, its always difficult in the beginning because its all so new and frightening but like I said as time goes by and the treatments start taking affect you will feel able to cope with this and live life.

I found my local macmillian centre to be a huge source of support and have indulged in the free complementary treatments like reflexology, spiritual healing, counseling also the ‘look good feel good session’ all of these have made me feel human again and able to face life living with secondary breast cancer. Anytime you want a chat please feel free to pm me.
Love and light to you
sarahlousie xx

thankyou so much everybody,
i am going to talk to someone tomorow about the secondry dx my kids are fantastic, but sometimes i would rather chat to someone other than my family because i dont want to upset them. all the best to you all.
lorraine x x