underarm advice after Node surgery

Hi All

I am finding my underarm quite uncomfortable, clammy and sweaty after my op. I am washing best i can but dont want to disturb wound so is a little difficult. Im doing my excercises and getting on ok with them.

Is it ok to shave and use product under the arm at all? Dont want to do something i will regret but im a bit impatient to get my underarm back to normal, any advice/info welcome x

Hi Clare,
I was told not to shave my armpit for six weeks after my surgery to give it time to heal, but it wasn’t an issue as I’d been chemo-ed so had no hair there anyway. I was also told only to use an electric shaver to reduce the risk of cutting myself (at risk of lymphoedema) or to use a cream hair removing thing.

After my rads I said “when can I start shaving under my arm again” (I looked like a gorilla) and they said “oh, you’ll know, it won’t be sore” Alas I have no feeling in that armpuit so it doesn’t work! I started carefully electric shaving about a fortnigth after rads and have been OK.

I have used gentle deoderant since about 2 weeks after my surgery with no ill effects (though in rads wasn’t allowed any) so i guess if your are careful you’ll probably be OK.

I had mx and full node clearance, but surgery area didn’t go right into the armpit for me.

I didn’t shave or use deodorant at all on the affected side post-op, just hair removal cream as advised before chemo took them fully. I did find using baby wipes helped and still does, to clean and massage the area though.

Keep on with the exercises, it’ll help in the long run, but don’t overdo it too much - just when I thought I was fine, I pushed myself too much and set myself back a couple of weeks - be kind to yourself.

Hope this helps a little.

Thanks for the replies. Ill leave it for the time being then and perhaps invest in an electric shaver or hair removing cream.

Cheers for the advice on wet wipes.

How do you know if you are doing too much on the excercises? I can move my arm quite freely its more uncomfortable when its resting close to my body, its a little numb in places and clammy but fairly moveable most of the time

I just washed underarm regulary for first couple of weeks, was told to use an electric shaver and then told my physio that you can use a razor so long as its sharp and clean, I now use non alumium deodrant

Re exercises I was told if it hurts you’re doing too much or too vigorously. It’s OK if it’s a bit sore, but not if it actually hurts.

For deodorant I used the rock type solid one (no metals) from Holland and Barrett, which is OK for rads as well.

The wet wipes also helped when I had super-sensitive skin /numbness issues post-op as couldn’t stand skin on skin sensation.

Resting was uncomfortable and in the evening had my arm up on the back of the sofa for a couple of weeks.

I slept with a teddy under my elbow, to lift the arm slightly and provide a little cuddly comfort during the night too.

The ‘YMCA’ was an exercise I adopted and generally walked around singing and doing the movements whenever I could, in addition to the ‘walking up the wall’ - if it hurts, don’t push it too much.

I too used wet wipes for the first couple of weeks, then resumed using non scented deodorant spray. Haven’t needed to shave as there are no hairs there.

Keep the exercises up - but as already said, if it hurts you are doing too much. Do little and often and you will soon be back to normal.

Thanks everyone, lots of helpful info there. I feel like my recovery is going normally now.

Beverlie - Loving the YMCA take on excercise :o)

Im going to stock up on wet wipes as i cant stand the clammy feeling and am paranoid that i just smell all the time. Prob silly thing to be worried about with whats to come but one step at a time and all that.

RE: resting - i also find it comfy to spread arm out to side or put my arm up by my head hoping this is ok to do

Hi Claire,

How glad am I that you started this one off. Lot’s of good advice. I too am paranoid about armpit smell and wander around with babywipes in my bag. Only just got my dressings off but I was told not to shave as well :((.

Hoping if I heal well that I can go onto radio in a few days with cream removal done??

I also will try the mineral deodorants.

Off for a wee sleep now. x

Yep ive just ordered a couple of non chemical type deoderants from the holland & barrett website so will give them a go.

Still thinking about shaving cos i hate underarm hair, im sure chemo will get rid of them soon enough but not sure i can wait that long

Hi Guys

I put a plaster over scar and use hair removal cream. Would not risk razor as felt sick as I could not feel my armpit. Haven’t actually change deodorant and have been OK but not had rads yet.

xx

Nice tip Ginge! Think in a week or so I can risk a plaster, makes good sense.