unexplained discomfort in left breast

I am now 51 years. My menopause began when I was approx 38yrs and the Drs would not believe me. Eventually they did when a locum DR took some blood for hormonal testing and confirmed that I was menopausal and he apologised In the past 4/5 weeks I have noticed that my left breast feels swollen and heavy and looks larger than the right breast. My weight has increased also. Initially I thought the discomfort was due to wearing a tight uniform at work, but I had a holiday wore loose clothes and the discomfort did not go away. I have also change bra’s etc. I can not find any lumps or bumps, but after self examination my breast feels tender. I am also find it difficult to lay on my front in bed. Now I am getting some discomfort in my armpit and down my arm on the underside and this is noticeable if I lift my arm above my head to reach for something. I do have an appointment for the Drs on Friday after a great deal of effort in trying to get an appointment. Apart from the examination by the Dr is there anything that I should ask. e.g scans, blood tests. I had a breast scan in the last 1-2 years which was clear.
Thanks for ny help

Hi Kathy

If by dr you mean your GP, please ask if you can be referred to a breast clinic. If it is the breast clinic you are going to, they usually do a triple test, e.g. mammogram, ultra sound scan and if they think it necessary, a biopsy. Just because you can’t feel a lump, you are anxious about the heavy, swollen feeling and if only for your own peace of mind, it needs to be looked into.
Hoping for a good outcome for you and wishing you good luck.
Poemsgalore xxx

HI All
Vistited Gp on Friday. Yes I have been refered to breast clinic. now panicking

Forgot to add The Gp found a lump!!! How could I have missed it

Dear kathy,
I will be rooting for you. The inital tests are very thorough so if there is anything needing further investigation, they will be done. good luck.

Deborah

Hi Kathy
So sorry your GP found a lump, but a lot of lumps are harmless, even if they sometimes cause pain. Hopefully yours will be one of these. However, if not, you are in the right place for support, advice and friendship. You don’t say when your appointment is for, but wishing you good luck for it and sending big hugs too.
Poemsgalore xxx