upsetting tamoxifen hair loss HELP PLEASE

I finished 4 out of 6 chemo sessions and was lucky to keep my hair and was warned that the chemo I was on would cause thinning, but hopefully not loose it. I had a thick head of hair, but have noticed in the last week or so I have lost a lot of the thickness. When I put my hands through it or comb it full length strands come out.

I am so distressed about this and worried sick I am going to go bald and stay bald for the full five years on Tamoxifen. Has anyone else had this problem and if so did it resolve itself, and did you have bald patches or big areas of no hair.

Thanks SGL xxxx

Hi SGL,

Sorry it looks like you’ve had a rough time, have missed you on the September thread but I’m so grateful that you started it back in August - its helped me no end so thank you very much xx

Wish I had an answer to your question re Tamoxifen question but I haven’t :frowning: tHopefully this will bump it up to the top again and someone can help!

Big hugs

Axx

Have you finished chemo now? What chemo were you on? It’s unusual to be told you’ll probably keep your hair, unless you were using the cold cap of course.

Any hair falling out could well be where the hair is breaking at the weak parts from where the chemo was happening. If you look very closely at a single hair you will be able to see clearly where you had chemo - well that’s certainly the way it was with me for the last 2 chemos when I stopped shaving my scalp because it seemed to be growing back. There was a distinct place on the hair shaft that was very thin corresponding to when chemo was administered. It’s very possible that the thinning is caused by the hairs breaking at these weak points.

I’m on Tam and Herceptin and my hair isn’t showing any thinning (though it’s not growing very fast) though it is listed as a possible SE. There may be others along soon to help.

Hi SGL,
Just echoing Annie’s & CM’s words really.

My Tamoxifen leaflet says it may cause hair thinning as one of the side effects. So far I seem to be lucky in that respect.

When you say you finished 4 out 6 sessions, do you mean that you stopped after four? Just wondering if it is ‘just’ a delayed fall of hair that was damaged by the chemo drugs, and that it’ll settle down soon. If I recall correctly you are doing herceptin too? I think that can also cause hair loss :frowning:

Hopefully someone will be along soon with a more helpful answer. Sorry I can’t be more help.

hi SGL. are you doing a different type of chemo as opposed to the usual FEC,TAX,etc that always result in hairloss? may be wrong but think i remember you posting a while back that you are on a different regime to the norm? sorry if i got that totally wrong!! love and best wishes, alex x

Hi SGL
IIRC, you were on vinorelbine and herceptin? I have been on that combo since March and haven’t had any hair loss, but then again, I haven’t had neutropenia either. On the one hand, that may suggest that it is the tamoxifen that is causing hair loss/thinning. On the other hand, we all respond differently to these different drugs; there isn’t one rule that fits all. Of course, anxiety and stress can cause hair loss - now, where is that stress button, must turn it off!

Hi Stargazerlilly,

I am also on tamoxifen/herceptin I have been taking a supplement called Biotin available from H&B not expensive but was told by other ladies on the american BC website that it helps with your hair thinning due to the tamoxifen and so far my hair is growing back quite quickly and thicker than it was before, also I use a natural product called Himalayan Herbal for hair loss, its a natural product cream that you put on your hair before you go to bed at night and this is supposed to help the texture of your hair, certainly something is working like I said my hair is thicker, darker and stronger than it was before I lost it all.

Hope this helps
love and light
sarahlousie xxx

Thanks guys for all your replies.

I finished chemo on the 28th November Choccie, I only managed four out of six cycles. Even with neutlasta jabs I was neutrophenic so onc decided enough was enough. The chemo I was on was called Vinorlebine, along with herceptin infusions. One of the side effects is thinning, but not normally full hair loss.

I am at my wits end as my hair just seems to be coming out everytime I brush it. I am going to be speaking to the hairdresser at the marsden tomorrow and will hopefully make an appointment to see him so he can look at my hair and also discuss a wig :frowning: chuffing fed up with this cancer malarky!!! I was diagnosed nearly 11 months ago and it just seems to go on and on and on…!!!

Hugs to all.

xxx

My hair was once so thick,but has grown back very thin on top. When I ask my breast care nurse and consultant, they just say it will grow. My chemo finished in June 2011!!! I’ve heard about biotin and sea kelp, but I’m worried if they are safe to use with tamoxifen. Any comments / advice would be great!

HI
I finished my chemo in February 2011 and I have the same problem!! I had lovely thick hair before this whole saga started and 2 years down the line I’m still having to wear a wig!
I have been busy seeing thrichologisst and using creams, lotions, etc, but to no avail. I had the same response from my medical team (“don’t worry it will eventually grow back” bla bla bla) but still I have this very evident thinnng on the top of my hair that makes me look like my Dad’s twin sister!!!
I too am on Tamoxifen and I’m worried about using any tablets as I fear they might interact with my hormone treatments!
Just a question: have you had Taxotere? I am in touch with a couple of women who have the same issues and it looks like that Tax is to blame…having said this Tam doesn’t help either!
anyway, my next stop is having hair extensions attached to whatever hair I have on my head as I can’t stand this wig anymore and it’s driving me on the verge of depression!
Let m know how you get on, I really hope it improves for you!
Deb xx

Hi lazycat. I’m still awaiting a reply from my oncologist about sea kelp and biotin. Yes I was on FEC for 4 cycles then 4 of docetaxel. I live hear Bristol where there is a centre called Penny Brohn. They have s nutritionist and doctor hitch I might try. Otherwise I’m tempted by hair extensions! I will keep u posted!

I have the exact same problem with thinning hair on top. I am nearly 3 yrs in on tamoxifen so ampraying that it will recover after the 5 year course.