vaginal atrophy treatments

Hi ladies, sorry for all the questions:

I’ve been on anastrozole 3 months and suffering with VA, to be honest I think it had started before dx (am early 50’s and already gone thru menopause) but it has got worse. Replens has helped external symptoms, but my onco says oestrogen cream is the best thing to help with painful sex (sorry if too much info!) and fine to use topically for 3 months and that should solve it. Questions:

1. Anyone know if this works? Obv I’m concerned but I trust my onco and bcn both say its fine to use. As its atrophy not just dryness, do I need something more effective than just moisturisers? 

2. There are a lot of ingedients in replens, I’d prefer something more natural and I’ve heard that cocoa butter pessaries can be used,  does anyone know anything

about this?

Thanks

Kate x 

Hi Roseka

Here’s the link to the area of this website where this is discussion in detail.  If you need to talk to someone in confidence then our helpline team will be only too happy to help.  Calls are free 0808 800 6000 lines open weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays10-2.

breastcancercare.org.uk/news/blog/vaginal-dryness-caused-breast-cancer-treatment

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Hi!
I was also prescribed the oestrogen cream but decided to go against it. I was on a trial for different lubricants which helped. I learnt a lot after much experimentation. I found pjurmed (silicon) and one of the Astroglydes worked best but that the water based glycerin needed to be washed off after use or I got fisuring from thrush fueled by the glycerin. I also made my own coconut oil pessaries which work well. 1/2 teaspoon of organic Virgin coconut oil (at a creamy consistency or hard) rolled in cling wrap, and stuck in the freezer and inserted before bed. If using condoms be careful with that as oils break down condoms. I have zilch libido but I found a use it or lose it strategy helped and the interest kicks in midway but I still have to be very careful with my external tissues. I’ve also found eucaryl helps quickly protect external fissures though heard it irritates some women.
Hope that’s helpful. This cancer stuff really sucks. I was single when diagnosed, a caring partner will go on the journey.
X

I too have suffered from vaginal atrophy for 3 years - even before breast cancer.  Increasing my HRT to 2 mg from 1 mg helped but of course, being ER positive I can’t have HRT nor can I use the estrogen vaginal creams anymore.  I have tried Replens, Yes and a homeopathic cream of calendula + tea tree.  They are all very soothing and allow me to wear jeans and ride a bicycle but no sex.  The menopause consultant said, sorry but it is a quality of life problem.  So I have great sympathy and keep looking myself for something to solve the atrophy not just produce “glide”.