very worrying nodule on CT scan lung

very worrying nodule on CT scan lung

very worrying nodule on CT scan lung hello all
well, its just seems like its one lot of bad news after another for me! Unexpectedly having cancer, unexpectedly having lymph node involvement and now unexpectedly having something on my ct scan of my lungs. My consultant tells me he thinks it is an ‘incidentaloma’, in other words an unrelated 5mm nodule which is probably benign. However, he cannot say that it is not secondaries either. They cant or wont test it further but will just wait and see. I was devastated, this was not what was supposed to happen although I have feared the worst all week. My consultant says that it is findings like these that mean that some medical teams dont scan until there are symptoms of something. I certainly wish I had never been scanned, I seem to have become converted to the mantra that 'ignorance is bliss! Taking this on board fully has meant that me and my partner are keeping this info to ourselves and not telling friends and family. I need positive people around me and know how worrying this would be to everyone - if theres one thing that makes it harder for me it is seeing other people worried and upset.
Treatment wise they are going to ignore this nodule hoping it is an ‘incidentaloma’. I go in on Tuesday for axilliary node clearance. Other results from my mastectomy were also available yesterday and as my tumour is oestrogen positive and Her2 positive so I will get both of these thrown at me.
I trawled through the forums last night and it made me feel better, I even peaked on the secondary breast cancer forum and the postivity and the strength of people going through this is a real inspiration.
Pauline x

I know what the doctors mean by scans showing up everything. Had a bone scan and last appointment onc said there were 2 areas . One was my jaw the other my skull. I freaked. It was a bone scan by the way. Anyway I had had a tooth out 4 months ago and that was the jaw one. My onc thinks the forehead one is sinus. I still don’t know about that one until next appointment on Tuesday. Even though he is not too worried I am getting really scared. Had skull x ray. BUT i SEEM TO HAVE HAD DRIP DRIP DRIP OF SCARY NEWS EVER SINCE DX. pLEASE TRY NOT TO WORRY a I know not easy love Eileen

For Pauline Hi Pauline - I have just come from hell and back and can completely relate to your feelings. I was due to have WLE on 13th March but at 11th hour got called to the hospital to say operation not going ahead and three nodules on lungs - both lungs involved. I was absoutely devastated. Bone scan was clear. Last week lung biopsy was cancelled over telephone and again, ahead went into funeral mode about what else had been found. I can honestly say, I have thought of nothing else for weeks…normality seemed like a distant memory.

This week was back at hospital but met my onc - he has really lifted me. We still don’t know what is on the lungs - although they highly suspect it is secondaries and yes, I have ventured onto the secondary forum for inspiration. However, after meeting my onc this week, he was so inspiring. The lung biopsy was cancelled due to the position and the fact that it would have been impossible to reach it - better than the visions I had as to why it was cancelled. So my next step is another scan at Guys which will show whether they are cancerous tumours or not. My next stage is chemo and the onc was very hopeful that this would diminish the lungs nodules (assuming they are mets)…He also said they would need to put a marker in my breast as it was likely that the tumour would reduce and may be hard to see (I was elated at this news).

I came away from this visit feeling normal again - yesterday I managed to take the kids to school, shop and cook a lovely curry for last night and today is a very near normal Saturday.

I can honestly say that regardless of what shows up on my lungs, I am here for a very long time but I haven’t felt like that for weeks.

My heart goes out to you - you need a lift and a few encouraging words make the world of difference.

Big hugs to you Pauline.

LOL
Heather
x

Pauline Hi

Sorry to hear your worrying news,it is a rollercoaster ride,with plenty of ups and downs…

I am 4 months past chemo,and i had a CT scan before chemo started and after…i was also told i had a nodule on my lung,but it was nothing to worry about…i did worry though,because ive become a bit of a expert at it!,and rang my onc for further reassurance…he said that Ct scans pick up all sorts of benign bits,bobs and nodules…i felt better for the reassurance,but still dwell on it a bit every now and then…i think being diagnosed with breast cancer takes away all your confidence in what your body is up to…

hope your treatment goes well

julie xx

just wanted to say l understand the fear-think its part and parcel of any ache or pain for a few years -especially for someone with a vivid imagination like me!!! IM waiting for my 2nd MRI scan in 2 wks on my liver as they debate have they found a bit of fat or mets am lurching from optomism to funeral prep!Today l am positive and in 2hrs it will be my daughters24 th birthday and l intend to be around forr her 90th!
trust in your surgeon-they try to do the very best for us.good luck and hugs sharonx

Worrying Time Hi Pauline,

I’m sorry that it has been such a worrying time for you - everything hitting you at once.

My CT scan, done after my initial diagnosis in February, showed what the consultant described as a ‘blemish’ on the structure of my lung. He said they would monitor it. Didn’t worry me too much at the beginning as this was all new to me, but my mind does keep wandering back to this blemish…

Best of luck for Tuesday. One step at a time.

love,
Jacki xx

Hi Pauline,
Good luck for Tuesday- I am getting the results from my lump removal and node biopsy on Tuesday- so its going to be a tough day for me too- somehow reading about your situation helps- don’t know why maybe the realisation that we’re not alone in this.
Take care
Jane

thank you everybody hello all,

thank you to everybody for replying to my post. You are all stars, all going through your own personal hells and yet all so generous and so willing to try and ease other people’s worries!

Eileen - thank you for your thoughts, like you say it is very scarey but I am trying hard to be positive. I hope that everything goes well for you and that your own results are good

Heather - it sounds like its been a nightmare for you, at least I didnt have cancelled ops to also deal with. Your positivity even if you have secondaries was inspirational, I went to bed last night feeling so much better - thanks and I hope that things start to get better for you.

Julie - well, hopefully my experience will be like yours and this will be nothing to worry about as my consultant says. Your post gives me hope that this will be the case. Thanks for giving me some peace of mind on this one and for helping me to think positively.

Sharon - I am starting to calm down a bit now so thanks for your reply, I hope your MRI goes well - I find the waiting the hardest bit as your imagination just goes mad! Let me know how you get on.

Jacki - Thanks for your post, I am trying hard to be positive and am surprised as to how every day I am pushing it further away. My consultant said that the further away I get from the day of the results the better I will feel and hopefully he’s right!

Jane - thanks for your reply, as I said above I think waiting for results is the hardest part, I would much rather have an operation, cant believe Im saying that given how terrified I was when I had my mastectomy! Very good luck for tomorrow and let me know how you get on.

Take care everyone
Pauline x

For Pauline and Heatherlou I’m also going to hell and back right now having just been diagnosed with a regional recurrence and waiting for CT and bone scan results (had the CT sacn, having bone scan on Weds).

I was orginally diagnosed way back in Oct 2003…always had a poor prognosis but was lucky to get no recurrence till now. Went to hell and back a few times during primary treatment, but in the intervening time have surpised myself that it was possible to enjoy stuff, to laugh, to live with a realistic hope that maybe it wouldn’t always get worse. Easier said than done, but true.

I’ve been knocking around these forums for ages. I think we all inspire each other and take hope from each other’s courage.

Jane

I am setting of for hospital in an hour. I had a spot on my skull from bone scan and had x rays last time. I try to keep my sense of humour but I lost it last night and couldn;t find it anywhere. I mentally said goodbye to my kids thought of all the instructions and messages I would have to leave. Thought about throwing all my junk out and scruffy knickers. Was wondering about at 2 am scared lonely frightened I am sure that most women feel like this but isn’t it horrible!! off now wish me luck and good luck to you all love Eileen

Good Luck Eileen! Wishing you lots of love and luck Eileen.

We all feel like you feel at times. You’re not alone!

Take care,

Janette X

Thanks Jane Jane,
Thanks for your reply, I hope that you get your results soon as the waiting is such a nightmare, and hope that you are managing not to worry too much. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to my post when you have such a lot on your plate. People like you really have inspired me. I am out of hospital today after having my lymph nodes cleared on Tuesday so am back in clinic on 18th May for the results of those. Hopefully, they will be better than my recent results! Take care and thanks again,
Pauline x

For Eileen Dear Eileen, I hope that your results were good, please let us know. I know just how you feel about saying goodbye to the children, I find this the hardest part. If it was just me going through hell then I could cope with that but all I keep thinking of is how my children (7 and 17) will cope if anything happens to me. I think we all feel lonely and frightened, you are right, the great think about this site is that we have each other so that the loneliness is not so acute.
Take care and thanks again,
Pauline x