waiting for a referral

Hi everyone,

As the title says I am waiting for a referral for breast screening. I saw my doctor last week because in july last year whilst on holiday I found and area in my breast that just didnt feel right. I left it at the time because I knew my period was due however it has not gone away and seems to be getting larger. It doesnt feel like a lump and my doctor decribed it as a thickening. I am 36 so I know cancer is very unlikely however i have of course been doing some googling (I know I shouldnt). I am starting to think this is fat necrosis caused by injury because when my daughter was very young and breastfeeding she would headbutt me very hard in the chest (unintentionally) she would just lift her head up then bring it crashing down again usually on my breast or chest area, this was approx 5 years ago though so I was wondering if anyone alse has experience of this? Is it normal to not notice it or for it not to appear for four years? I have read that necrosis goes away on its own so five years seems to be a long time for it to still be there. I have not noticed any unusual breast pain or other symptoms, so if anyone has any idea I would be grateful for your input.

Thankyou in advance

Sam x

Dear samarie,

Welcome to the forum.  I’m sure other members will soon be along to offer you some support.  I thought our booklet “Your breast clinic appointment” might be helpful.  It explains a bit about what to expect at the appointment.  I’ve attached a link:

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/sites/default/files/your_breast_clinic_appointment_bcc_70.pdf

You could also contact our Helpline to talk things over.  They can offer practical information and emotional support.  The opening times are 9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays.  The number is 0808 800 6000

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Hi there, you have done the right thing by going to the Dr and its the hard part waiting for a referral. We all google but it really is bad for you lol. Try not to do it !!Easier said than done i know :-). Keep us posted on when you get your appointment. Usual procedure is to be seen by breast clinic within 2weeks of seeing your Dr. I had a thickening in my left breast and not a lump or round hard pea etc so any thing at all different for you should be reported,which you have done. I wish you well and let us know how you get on