363371posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

waiting for dx told cancer in breast will discuss treatment

46 REPLIES 46

Re: waiting for dx told cancer in breast will discuss treatment

Hi everyone out there. I have got my worry head on again. I haev had a bone scan, ct scan, then an x rayon my leg and then
an ultrasound on by liver. They are pretty sure my leg is showing extra bone and that my liver is showing hemagiomas( which is nothing to worry about). But they still want to send me for an MRI scan. They said that although they are 98% sure they have to be 100% sure. I am going into trials during my treatment which is another reason to be sure because the trials people would ask why I didn't follow with an MRI.Should I trust the doctors and stop worrying or should I be concerned. Is there any out there that has had a similiar experience. Im i over reacting. The doctors have been spot on all the way through my dx. Has anyone got any advice,
Angela x

Hi everyone. Just a quick one is their anyone out there that has had a MRI scan for clarification from a ct scan that showed up possible hemangiomas in the liver. Hoping it is hemangiomas (non -cancerous) and not cancer.xx

You're very welcome. Now I think its time to step away from the forum and cancer-world for a while, and go out for a walk in the lovely spring sunshine.

My name is Morwenna, and I am becoming a forum addict!! 😉

Hi Morweena. Your a star. I've been busy googling and I am sure they said hemangiomas and the consultant described it in the same way. So i understand why I need an MRI because he had problems finding it on ultrasound and it was small. My crazey mind needs someone like you to put things into perspective. You are so brave dealing with your conditions and I suppose everything we feel we relate back to cancer. I am so glad you can see light at the end of the tunnel now and can only believe I will to. I am very grateful you have taken time out to listen to me and research, thanks again. If you ever need anyone to sound off to or just have a good old moan don't hesitate to post me. Big hugs. Angela xxx

Thanks Wattie. Your right and I know they just want to get it right for the trials that makes sense. Thanks for talking sense and letting me let of steam. If you ever need the favour returned don't hesitate to post me. Big hugs Angela xxx

Haha...... I just wrote a huge long post, previewed to edit it for typos, and the bloody thing vanished!
I looked up things beginning with H that might show up on a liver ct, was it one of these??
Among the most common solid masses include:

Hemangiomas
are the most common of all benign liver masses. They are more prevalent in women and may be affected by hormonal changes.

Focal Nodular Hyperplasia (FNH)
is the second most common benign lesion of the liver. It is usually asymptomatic and has no malignant potential or risk of rupture.

As for coping with the idea of secondaries, I went through a very bad patch when I felt for sure that I was going to die. It turns out that I was suffering from clots in my leg and my lungs, a rare complication from a combination of the AC chemo I was on plus my existing blood platelet disorder! I felt so sick and miserable and debilitated that it was hard to think of any positive outcome, and in fact I quite wanted to just die and get it over with!

But I am now happily anticoagulated, and doing much better (so far) on my weekly Paclitaxel, which seems easier to tolerate than the "red devil", my portacath is working properly, and although I have Rads to come I feel there is light at the end of the tunnel, albeit a ways off!!

Now, although I acknowledge the risk of recurrence is real, it is not something that fills me with paralyzing fear. I know there are treatments available, and just now I am dealing with things as they happen, which lord knows is tough enough, and not looking too far ahead.

I have my moments. This morning I met an ex-colleague I wasn't expecting to see at the lymphedema clinic, and had a complete meltdown. Like Karen above, I'm in the field, as a Physiotherapist, and I had the privilege of working with this lady on a plastics unit, dealing with ladies having breast reconstruction, ....... Just never thought I would ever be one of them!!!

Angela
dont worry you are not the only one who has had these thoughts and worries , I think we all have and sometimes still do. Yes this is a very scary and worrying time but try and think positively about things, think how you would have felt a few months down the line if you had not had a MRI. Try to take in what the drs and nurses are saying, helps to take someone else along to miss those bits that you will do - so much to take in and you will still be a bit in shock at what's happening!
they are also being extra thorough because you are going to hopefully go in this trial. Everyone has to start with the same level of health etc otherwise the results won't work.
dont beat yourself up too much what you are feeling and going through is totally normal. And you will have many more outbursts of emotion in the future too.
Keep strong and keep in touch xxx 🙂

Hi Wattie.Thank you for your lovely post. I know my mind is going into overdrive and i am not thinking straight but all the way along the doctors have been positive about my BC and that helped me to think I can beat this but an MRI seems so scarey. Everything that was said to me today just isn't registering and I can only think the worst. I am sure they are doing this just to cover all basis but you just never know. I am sure their are many people out their in my position worry the night away. My nurse said I need to be positve and that they are doing this because they have to be 100% so that I don't have to go through this again.Everyone else makes sense so why can't I. She said that if I hadn't had BC then the ultrasound would of been enough normally but the BC means they have to take it a step further.The joys of cancer. Thanks for listening to me again.
Angela xxx

Hello Angela
i was diagnosed with Her2 ++ breast cancer last November so I am just a few months ahead of you. I live in france so have been getting all my treatment over here. I had a lumpectomy, then was told I would need chemo, rads, herceptin and then tamoxifen. I was asked to go on the aphinity trial which I consented too. I think being on a trial is a good thing as it will help others. Unfortunately of me I was unable to go on the trial as by blood results for my liver had not returned to normal quickly enough after my op etc. I was disappointed but also terrified as although I had had bone scans, ct scans, ultrasounds etc done and all clear they decided to give me another ct on my liver to make sure all was ok. After a worinning wait for the scan I was shown immediately afterwards that all was ok. My liver had just taken a battering form anaesthetic, nuclear drugs, etc put in me and needed more time to recover.
i am nurse so my mind goes onto overtime with worry as a bit of knowledge is not always a good thiing.
Please try not to worry, even if you do not do the trial you are getting the best treatment, and you will feel a lot more in control when it all starts happening. The waiting is the worst bit.
please feel free to pm me if you want to chat and keep in touch as having someone to talk to is so important.
hugs and love Karen xx

Thanks Morwenna. Just sat and had a little cry reading your post, needed to let it all out. i suppose I just needed someone else who has actually gone or going through this to talk some sense. Your right i think counselliing would be a good idea. Im starting to think I have over reacted and should listen to what the consultant said otherwise he probably wouldn't of said it and wrote it in his report. I wish I had wrote down the name of the word beginning with a H feel so silly not knowing now.How did you cope with the possibility of secondaries ? I've just got to grips with my BC. Hope the MRI comes quick then I can deal with it. Thanks for listening you have been a great help. Lots of hugs.xxx

Ps. Most all things concerning the liver start with an H! 🙂

It really doesn't sound as if it is secondaries. I also had some cysts of some description in my liver and I think also a kidney (?) that showed up on my CT scan. I was told they were not cancerous, and as my sister-in-law was told the exact same thing, I have accepted that I really do have no signs of secondaries. Once you have had the MRI I'm sure your mind will be eased ..... until the next scare.

Isn't it easy to obsess over this?. I can't tell you not to worry, we all worry, but you need to find a way to let this go, if you can ..... is there counselling you can draw on, or even some anti-anxiety meds from your go if this worry is really getting the better of you.......?

Just come back from having an unexpected ultrasound of my liver. Came back that the area had characteristics of something beginning with a H which isn't cancer. But because I have been dx with BC they have to send me for a MRI scan to get conclusive evidence. So to me it could still be cancer. Consultant doing my ultrasound said that in his oopinion he thinks it is unrelated to my BC but because I have had BC again he has to send me for an MRI for 100% evidence. Spoke to nurse who confimed what the consultant said and is trying to get in for my MRI asap. She did say that cancer usually shows up on a ct scan and an ultra sound so I need to be positive because it pointing towards this other thing beginning with a H which is nothing and something most women have and doesn't need treating. So am I over reacting again or am I looking at secondry cancer. I don't know who to believe or what to think can't bare the thought of cancer in the liver. Im 43 with 2 boys I want to see them grow into adults not watch their mum becoming worse and worse. Sorry for the rant head all over the place.
Angela x

Hi Morweena,
Thanks for your post. I do struggle at times with myself and people do say in time I will settle more. The trial they are conducting all the tests for is called The Aphinity Study. It is a study of the pertuzumab drug which may be given with my chemo and Herceptin. I say maybe because it is a blind study and a computer decides if I recieve it. Iam told it is being given to those with primary BC and are HER2 - positive at present it is only given to those who have secondary cancer.Its good to hear someone elses persective on the trials and it does confirm I am doing the right thing. I understand about those first 5 years and reoccurance but at the moment I still have treatment to consentrate on. I hope your treatment continues to go well and that our security blanket continues to get us through.
Lots of hugs.
Angela

Hi Angela,
Well they don't call it a rollercoaster for nothing. Mood swings?? You may expect to go from being completely in denial to wildly optimistic to rehearsing your own funeral .... this might happen several times a day! I'm sure it makes it incredibly difficult for those around us to deal with, but c'est la cancer! We all have to deal with it. You will eventually find a more even keel, but these emotions can still sneak up on you, so bear that in mind.

Regarding your being on a trial (you don't say what the trial is?)..... I consented to a trial myself. I am er/pr/her2 negative, so targeted therapies are not normally an option, but it turns out that I am actually her_2 level 1, so weakly positive, and the study is to see whether giving herceptin in this case will improve outcomes.

All fine and good, except I was randomized into the control group, which is NOT to be given the drug. They obviously have to inform participants in this case, as a blind trial would not be possible unless they insisted we all come in for a year for a secret saline infusion instead of herceptin. Probably that's unethical! 🙂

Anyway, though initially somewhat disappointed, I consoled myself with the thought that there's no proper evidence that herceptin would help (hence the study), and the benefits from being on the study from my point of view is that I am going to be under a magnifying glass for the duration of the study, which I am very happy about, as my risk of recurrence in the first 5 years is really scary.

In your own case, with the area on your leg. It's great they saw it, it is great that they do not feel it is a malignancy, and its really good news, that being on the study they will look at it again and see if there are any changes. So try not to worry about that!

My CT showed a "spot" in my lung, which was "indeterminate", and caused me some concern, but I recently had a further CT (developed clot iny lungs - another story), and they happened to look again at my "spot", and there is no change, so its probably nothing to worry about! I'm still happy they are monitoring it though! 🙂

Good luck with your treatments.

M xx

Is there anyone that can give me some advice please. I have been asked to go on a trial during my treatment (had mx,start chemo x6 next week,herceptin,rads.tamaxfen 10years). Iam having various tests for the benefit of the trial and one of them included a bone scan. The scan has come back with something showing on my right leg but the results say it is benign. Although I know the meaning of benign I still had to ask the nurse does that mean I have not got cancer in my bones. She said that was the only area where there was not a clear picture and it has come back as benign but because I am entering the trials they need a clear picture but means I do not have cancer in the bones it is likely to be old damage (I have had a couple of car accidents) or a bad picture. However I still have to go for an ultrascan so they can see what it is. I know I am reading into everything and everyone says it is a good thing that Iam in a trial, I can help the studies and they will watch me like a hawk. But do I want to be watched this closely if it means I jump to conclusions at every moment. My onc is very postitive about my future (even said we want a cure out of you, of which I said was not possible and he precided to give me a good talking to). I am 43 and both my surgeon and onc have said the treatment I am having is proofen to work and they expect me to be here for the next 20 30 years and beyond and that because I am young, healthy then I capable of taking this type of treatment.So why am I not believing what everyone tells me. Is there anyone that is on a trial or has knowledge of the trials. Am I doing the right thing or will I carm down once my treatment starts. My nurse said I will feel better when my treatment starts (a little more in control). She said it was understandable that I felt like this and that I could ring her any time (she is very good, as is everyone at the hospital). Sorry for the rant but I would love hear from anyone with any advice. Thanks for reading and listening. Angela

Hi Littlescoot,
Not sure if my last post went through doesn't seem to be showing up.Glad to hear your doing well. I came out on Friday with a drain in which I still have in unfortunately but otherwise feeling better than I thought I would. I feel like a weight has been lifted and ready for the next stage. Spoke to my BCN nurse and she mentioned possibly going on a trial that would run along side my treatment but we will talk more about that at my appointment in a couple of weeks.Otherwise feeling positive I hope you are to, before your know it time will have moved on and we will be feeling more like ourselves. Keep in touch and let me know how you are getting on. Lots of hugsxxxxx Angela

Hi Elliedog,
i too have been thinking about you and I hope everything goes really really well for you. I'm resigned to it now and have kind of mentally detached myself from the one that's going. I just want the cancer out of me and to crack on with the next stage. I totally agree with your last sentence. Life WILL be good again. This is just a blip in the pathway.
Good luck and (((( big hugs))))) -whilst we still can! Xxxx
mandie xxx

Hi Littlescoot.
Just wanted to say i will be thinking of you on the 21st March. I hope your feeling as carm as you can be, I know I keep having little moments of panic although I know this is all for the best and when I really think about it I can't wait to get this horrible tumor out of me.We are doing the right thing and in a couple of years time we will look back and know that although it was tough for a while we came through and life will be good.
Lots of hugs
Elliedog xxxxx

Elliedog (Angela),
Happy to help. If you need to ask anything anytime just message me. I may (or may not) be able to help but sometimes it just helps to speak to people who are in or have been in the same situation.
Samantha

Dear SamLee
Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly. I t really does make a difference at this stage in my circumstances to hear good news stories. It was good to hear that the visits with c heck ups will eventually carm down and I won't feel like I'm living at the hospital.I can't wait to get to that normal feeling, going to work,not thinking about it every minute of the day. I know I will get back to that moment in my life again because I have so many positve people around me. Part of me can't wait to get the surgery out of the way and the treatment started so life can begin. Hope you don't mind if I post you occasionnally and if you need someone to sound off to you are more than welcome to post me. Thanks again.
Angela

Don't mind you asking at all. I had check ups every 3 months whilst on Herceptin and following surgery I had check-ups with the surgeon every 6 months and then in October last year when I had my 2 year mammogram and appointment with the surgeon I only have to see him now every year so I won't see him until October this year. I had all my treatment privately with Bupa so I don't know if that made a difference with the check-ups.
I don't take any medication now. I was only slightly ER+ so I tried with Tamoxifen but the side effects were horrendous so I made the decision not to take it. I know that increases my risk slightly of a recurrence but it is a risk I can live with as I threw absolutely everything else at it.
One more think I forgot, a lady I work with had exactly the same type of cancer 8 years ago and she had Herceptin then when it was still very new and she is still here, alive and well. She will be celebrating her 50th birthday this year and she was dx at 42, the same age I was at dx.
So please try not to look too far in the future now, just concentrate on each bit of the treatment at a time. I did and it certainly helps to look at it that way.
Samantha

Hi SamLee. Thankyou for your positive words. Although I know I have to be positive some days it is difficult if you don't have positive feedback. I am so glad to hear you are doing well and that makes me more determined to get through the next few months. I have decided to have a mx which will be carried out on the 21st March. I'm then told that should be followed by chemo possibly with the herceptin or they may wait till I have finished their not clear on that yet. Do you have to take any medication now and how often do you have to be checked. Hope you don't mind me asking.Once again thanks for the positive vibes, it's good to know you are there.
Ange

Hi Elliedog,
I don't post very often now, but you wanted positive feedback on HER2+ so I hope my story will help.
I was dx in November 2010. I had a 45mm Grade 3 tumour which was HER2+. No spread to nodes. I had dose dense chemo (4 x AC and 4 x Paclitaxol) every 2 weeks to shrink the tumour. People talk of a good third week. I never had that. I then underwent surgery - sentinal node and wide local excision. Following that I had 20 sessions of radiotherapy and all the way through I was having Herceptin.
I went back to work about a month after radio. I work in an office but have a 2 hour round commute into London. I juggled working with every 3rd Wednesday going to the hospital for 9am, having Herceptin and then dashing back to work, getting to the City for around 10.30am.
2½ years later I am still here and treatment is a distant memory now. I sounds quite simple when written above, whereas at the time it was a long drag. But healthwise everything is as it was before now.
So there is hope. I too was mainly worred at the beginning about the size of the tumour. But my surgeon said size does not matter in these cases. Apparently HER2+ tumours are often large and seem to appear overnight. However he also said that they respond excellently to chemo and shrink to nothing just as easy.
If you want any more info just message.
Take care.
Samantha

Hi everyone. Can someone out there give me some positive information about being HER2+. I know what HER2+ means (thanks to information given by the lovely people on this site) but I don't seem to be able to find any positive outcomes.I'm not sure if that is because people who get better stop going to these sites or is it because HER2+ just isn't a good thing. Can someone out there give me some positive feed back. Thanks for listening.
Elliedog

Hi Pixie. That was so helpfull.Although the BCN nurse explained this to me yesterday I just couldn't take it in you have made it alot clearer now that I am a little carmer. I have already found that there are plenty of people willing to give advice and support which I have found so helpful. I am not on facebook but I am thinking that is maybe another way to try and keep in touch with people.Thanks again for the info it has given me a little more knowledge and confidence to ask questions. What you have described with reference to the HER2+ sounds very much like the route I will be going down according to my BCNurse. Finding that a bit scarey as it makes me feel like I might have a harder fight ahead of me but I know that is just my mind going into overdrive again . Just need to put things into perspective.Its great your doing the 10 mile breast cancer care walk I hope I am in the same position soon. Keep well and lots of hugs.xxx

Hello Elliedog

I am pleased you have your results but of course sorry you find yourself here.

I was diagnosed in january 2012 and have just had my first mammogram so waiting for results from that - even scarier than forst time around as I no longer have the cushion of 'ignorance being bliss'.

The reason I am responding to you is you mentioned you are herceptin 2 and i can tell you more about that.

We are tested for something called epodermal human growth factor, this is a protein that attaches itself to our cancer cells and encourages them to grow very quickly. If you have this, your cancer type is known as HER2+. Abut 25% of breast cancers fall into this category, most of them are oestrogen negative (ER-) or mildly ER+. I am a bot of an anolmaly as am 100% ER positive as well.

HEr2+ cancer are treated with a drug called herceptin which is given intravenously every 3 weeks. the standard treatment is for a year - so that is 18 treatments. I am on number 11, so it does make it a long old haul. however, herceptin has none of the side effects associated with chemo. You do not start herceptin until after chemo has finished if you are on a FEC regime. If you are having Tax, your herceptin will be given toward the end of your tax.

there are specific threads on here for HER+ ladies and you will find these under the section called 'targetted therapies.

I underwent surgery, chemotherap[y, raidiotherapy and am still doing herceptin and take endocrine tablets every day to address the ER+.

The thing I have learned is that all this is do-able once treatment starts as we get into a routine. We only have to deal with one part of our treatment at a time and believe it or not, time does pass quickly.

I used this forum an awful lot whilst undergoing chemo and it was invaluable for me. We have become a very close group of friends who now hang out on facebook where we don't get moderated ( means we can bitch about what we want)

We have all come out the other end and are getting well again, so much so that in May, 12 of us are doing the Breast cancer care 10 mile walk at Blenheim palace.

Cancer treatment will change your life remarkably but if you focus on all the good stuff, and being able to have this treatment free of charge is very very good, life can become richer in other ways. get a group of buddies going on here, it usually works by joining the thread for people starting chemo at the same time and you will find that your journey although tough at times, isn't half as bad as you imagine.

Good luck and warm wishes

pixie

Thanks Mungos_mum for your fab post. I to am 43 with two children 9 and 14. I think that is the most difficult part is telling the children. As was only diagnoised on Tuesday so we haven't decided how much to tell them.Although I don't feel emotionally great today I feel less shakey then yesterday and as the op grows nearer I hope a little more control will come back(as I to am a control freak).I am beginning to come to terms with the fact life will be different but as you have already pointed out it doesn't have to be less full filling. I am so grateful to my friends and family for their unbelievable support especially my husband of whom is just a saint.I know I am not the only woman to go through this and I know that most go on to live to an old age but part of me still hates that at my age ( do not drink much,fit and healthy) has to have this over me and my family for the rest of my life.But on a positive note I know my diagnoises is beatable and with everyones advice I know what questions to start asking to be able to take some control of my treatment. I to colour my hair and have decideded not to colour it for a while as I know I will be having chemo so what hair I have(I already wear it very short) will probably full out. But thats ok because hopefully it will come back curly i have always wanted curly hair.We to are holding back on booking a holiday for the summer which is a bit frustrating but we are away in this country in May which my wonderful BCN said should be ok.I suppose what I am trying to say is although all this has happened very quickly I am starting to look a little further down the line and with everyones kind thoughts and advice I am having more positive moments than crying moments. I hope I can be as helpful to others on my journey as they have been to me.I hope you soon get the information you need about your further treatment Mungos_mum so you can take control of your hair. Please continue to post as will I.
Lots of hugs xxx

Hi Elliedog,
My BS recommended a MX, which I actually preferred; I actually wanted a bilateral Mx but was discouraged because the medical team had not thoroughly discussed this option with me, and we didn’t have time to before the op. After the op, I felt relieved that the cancer had been removed. The Surgery is the main treatment; all adjuvant treatment is to minimise the probability of a recurrence or metastases. The only problem is that whatever anxiety I had, once satisfied, is just replaced by another after a few days. I did throw my toys out of the pram last week because I still did not have my onc appointment. It worked, and I have one now, but I am now focussing on something else! Too much time on my hands...... I have not kept my own advice of keeping busy!
This all sounds as if I am not handling this. I have 2 teenagers, and am determined to see them grow up into adulthood, so I have met this head on, and have discussed everything with my OH, who has been v supportive. I just like to have facts (not that I am a control freak....) and by that I mean that I want to know exactly what further treatment I will have. It seems to be fairly cut and dried in most cases, but for some reason I am in the “might” camp and understand the only definite will be Tamoxifen, “probably” won’t get rads or chemo, but the size of lump and my age (at 43 I am apparently still young!) might sway the onc into recommending chemo. Because of this, I have not coloured my hair since I was dx in case I need chemo and need to chop off my 12” long hair and I don’t want two tone short hair! I don’t yet have the confidence to go back to my favourite hobbies, (ceroc and wallclimbing) because of the change in clothing I will have to wear (tended to wear vest tops before, not an option at the moment!) although I am probably physically recovered enough now. We have also delayed booking our summer holiday because we don’t know what is planned.
I don’t mean this to be a self-pitying post, but just to explain how a BC diagnosis has affected so many more areas of my life than I first anticipated. The anxiety has diminished, and I focus on the little things, probably so I don’t think about BC specifically. Once I know what is happening, I can take control of my hair again and plan ahead for the summer. As I discovered when I discussed the recommendation with my BCN that I don’t use a hot tub again to minimise the risk of Lymphodema following the ANC, there are ways round medical outcomes (I of course need my affected arm to hold the champagne flute, so need to keep it out of the too warm potentially septic water!!!). I read a wonderful phrase on a blog I found just after I was diagnosed, “you just have to find your new normal”. Life may not be the same again, but there is no reason why it can’t be just as fulfilling.
Take as much control of your treatment as you can, ask questions to understand and don’t forget to socialise. It does get easier; there will be blips on the way, but nothing we can’t handle after being diagnosed in the first place.
Best wishes,
MM xx

Hi Littlescoot. I am sorry to hear you are in the same situation as me.I suppose we are both going to have a big day on the 21st. I know an mx is the right way to go but makes me absolutely terrified. I plan to kick this disease and I hope you do to. I have many more years of watching my children grow and growing old with my wonderful husband.I know I will have many more questions to ask so I hope you don't mind me asking when they come into my head.Thanks again for posting I hope we can keep each other updated. Lots of hugsx
elliedog

Hi Elliedog

Really sorry to hear your news. I am in a similar position to you in as much as I will also be having a MX on march 21st too! I have already had my lymph nodes taken. If you need to ask any questions or anything up to the run of your op please don't hesitate to get in touch and likewise afterwards. I'm still coming to terms with the fact that I need a MX so I can appreciate your fears but sending you massive (((((((((hugs)))))))))) xxxxxx
Ls

Thanks Wendy56 for your kind thought. Can't tell you how much it means to have people out there to help.I probably have so much to ask people but have been given so much info today not sure if my head can take anymore. I am trying to keep things as normal as possible for the childrens benefit with the help of my husband. I know I can conquer this because there are people out there like you doing just that and because my wonderful husband said Iwill and I believe everything he says. If you need to talk please don't hesitate.
xxx

Hi Mungo_mum
Thankyou for your posting.You sound in a very similar position to myself.Although I wouldn't of wanted anyone to be going through this but it helps to listen to someone else.If you need to talk I always have a listening ear. How do feel after your operation? Does the emotional wheel stop turning as much?Trying to be positive but it just seems to be in my head every waking hour. I hope this can get easier.Thanks for listening and I am here if you want to sound off.
xxx

Elliedog not the news you wanted to hear but at least now you can move on and try and get your head round things. I have just finished my chemo last one of 4 yesterday was diagnosed on 7th Dcember with a 48mm tumour grade 3 so chemo first 2 shrink I am booked in for 25 April for mastectomy .really wanted immediate recon but have to have rads so looks like that might be put on hold . Also going to have mastectomy other side at some point not sure if that will be 25th April also.

Would be happy to answer any questions however small you might think they are pleas pm me anytime

Wendy x x

Hi Elliedog,
Even if you are expecting the diagnosis, it is still a shock having it confirmed. Sadly BC is indescriminate, and can affect anyone, athlete and sloth alike. Your fighting spirit will help you enormously over the months ahead; your determination to join the Race for Life next year is brilliant, you are right to say something to aim for. (You may have pushed me into the same goal!)
I find out what my post surgical treatment will be later this week, so am at a similar stage in the process. (Mx and ANC 5 weeks ago), so feel free to contact me if you have particular questions. We are aiming for the same things, to grow old with our families. A fine ambition to have!
Best wishes and cyber hugs,
MM

Hi Wendy56. Thank you for your support it really does help. Are you still having treatment as it would be good to talk to someone who has come through this horrid disease.xxx

Just returned with results. Invasive ductal aderscarcinoma, grade 2,and i think her cep 2(not sure what that means yet).Although expecting the news still feels like a bombshell.Had a long chat with the nurse who was fantastic. I have decided on a mx and they will clear my lymph nodes.Go in for surgery 21st March and then take it a day at a time.I know that i can get through this and losts of people do but i still keep thinking why me.But i plan on watching my boys grow up and to grow old with my wonderful husband.My aim is to be fit and healthy for the race next year, something to aim for. Thank you for everyones support it does help to gey you through.xxx

Elliedog wishing you luck for this morning will be thinking of you. Hope you get some answers and once a plan is in place things will get a little easier. Take one step at a time and try not to worry and think too far ahead just concentrate on what is happening now and you will get through it may feel like a long road but you will here's here.

sending you massive hugs keep us posted

Wendy x x

Hi everyone. Going for diagnoises today. At best hoping the cancer hasn't spread at worst it has or something else I don't know how i will cope with. Appointment at 9.45am, fab husband coming with me.Feeling terrified,shaking but trying to keep it together. Although they have already indicated it is cancer do you think the lump could be beign,I am living with hope.Will try to post later.xxx

Thank you Lizzy
Can't believe how comforting everyone has been. I know anything is possible and everyone keeps saying that with thier help the treatment will be doable. I keep hearing from people not to worry about the size, not to worry about the different tests everything will be done to get me through this and at the moment I truely believe them.But part of me is so scared and part of me mourns the fact that nothing will ever be the same. But one thing I have learnt very quickly over past few days is to appreciate the family and friends around me and that life is not a rehersal. Thank you for your kind reassurance.xxx

Hi Elliedog ,
I was diagnosed with a rare type of cancer after having what eveyone thought was a benign fibrodenoma removed ,when the hsytology came back and the cancer was found (my appointment was thursday) the immediatley started to move other surgery to later dates to get me in on the wednesday for emergency mx they also started to arrange for an emergency ct scan to see had it spread any where else ,i had this done the same day in the afternoon results were in next day called to the hospital friday 11am less than 24 hours after being diagnosed to be told one suspected lymph node and that i would need a bone scan ,this was done tuesday told everything looked ok straight away radical mx was performed wed lunchtime .hystology came back lymph node all clear and 5cm clear margins . so depending what they find they will and can move all goal posts to give you what you need ,By the way I in the Isle Of Man and cannot have chemo or radiotherapy they are not proven to work on the cancer I had .I Think each case is considered as to what is required at the time to assist the best course of treatment for the patient ,I havnt been appointed an onc although I know my case was dicussed with one .
I wish you all the luck in the world try not to worry (Easier said than done ) and you will be supprised as to how strong you will be when once treatment ,surgery etc begins.
take care lizzy

Hi Elliedog, you really are at a horrible place right now, your mind doesn't rest and just runs away with all the what if's, please be reassured that once you have the pathology and treatment plan you'll begin to feel more in control of things. As for scans, I had a small lump with a micromet on one lymph node, I wasn't offered any kind of scan as wasn't deemed necessary, I think it's only routine to have a heart scan if you need herceptin as this can and does and affect the heart function x

Hi everyone
Just sat down to read all your messages. Have to say a big thank you. Your right your mind does go into over drive and I have to start thinking I have options and lots of people beat this disease and there is no reason why I can't be one of them.Big thank you again. Going to see the consultant on Tuesday hopefully the news is doable. xxx

Hi Elliedog please don't worry about size of your lump as mine is 50mm grade 3 aggressive . My nodes were not affected and CT and bone scan clear. I too was worried about the size and if there was any spread but so far so good . After 2 chemo it is now only 20% of the original size. They will probably scan you but don't worry it is routine at most hospitals .

Whatever your diagnosis you are being treated so in capable hands and is treatable . Wishing you luck with any treatment you have

Wendy

Hi elliedog
I can only advise that when I had my dx because I had 3 lymph nodes affected the oncologist referred me for a ct scan he said its going to change soon to 4 or more nodes before they scan but I think hospitals differ on this as with everything, I complained of rib pain during treatment and was given a bone scan as well so they are pretty thorough if you are worried or show any symptoms, Im under the royal marsden and if the results come back clear on lymphs or as I said less than 4 they dont do any further tests but your team/hospital may, if you have chemo they should do a heart scan first as I believe that is across the board for chemo patients but I could well be wrong on that but I know they do it for all at rm as matter of course, good luck for your results hun let ud know how you get on xx

Hi Elliedog,

I am afraid I can’t answer you one way or the other, but we all remember the strain of the diagnostic period. I remember self diagnosing three brain tumours between diagnosis and seeing the surgeon to discuss treatment!

I hope you do take some reassurance from knowing that the lymph glands exist solely to capture foreign agents (infections and cancer cells for example) before they get into the blood stream. If cells were found, it means that the lymph nodes were doing their job.

To use my experience as an example, I had Mx and sentinel node biopsy. At my NHS Trust, they test the biopsy during the op, so if necessary they can undertake the node clearance at the same time. As all three nodes came back positive, one of them had micromets, the surgeons did a full node clearance. The path results came back with only the first three nodes out of 26 sampled having cells. I expected many more than that to be positive. I am sure that the reality is not as bad as we imagine whilst in the waiting room.

Keep yourself as busy as you can doing things you like, see friends, start a project, or curl up with your favourite film. It not only helps pass time, but stops the worry demon camping out.

Best of luck,

MM x

waiting for dx told cancer in breast will discuss treatment

Hi everyone
Waiting for dx on tuesday. Already told that they are certain it is cancer in the right breast and possibly in lymth nodes. Will be discussing treatment with the consultant but I think I have made my decision to have mx. What worries me now is that because the lump in my breast if quite large will the cancer of spread to other parts of my body. I have no other aches and pains apart probably those in my mind since I started this journey but I can't help but worry. Will the consultant give me further tests or will that only happen if report any pain to him. Is there anyone out there going through something similar. Can't help think that mind is in over drive but then I have little moments of panic. Am I just over reacting. Feel ok in my body apart from breast being sore from the biopsy. Can anyone help.