waiting for referral appointment

In need of reassurance. When to the doctor on Wednesday with pain in the breast. After an examination the doctor found a small lump and is referring me. I’m terrified. Never suspected for a moment that I had any lumps! Also my husband isn’t being very supportive and doesn’t understand why I’m so distant and quiet. I fear that this may tear us apart. Looking for some words of advice. So scared that I’m going to die and leave my darling children. That’s all I can think about.

Hi Rebeccah, sorry you’re feeling so scared, but it’s only natural to feel like this as you don’t yet know what you are dealing with. Once you know what, if anything, is wrong you’ll feel a lot calmer. We’ve all been in the scarey place you’re in at the moment, I’d planned my funeral (before I knew what happening) like a lot of others on this site and we are all still here! Hopefully your lump will turn out to be non cancerous, the majority of them do. It’s good that your GP has referred you to the Breast Clinic, if you are in England you should get an appointment within 2weeks (NICE guidelines). If its a one stop clinic you’ll have your tests and results on the same day, if not results usually take about a week. In the meantime try not to worry too much -I know, easier said than done- and don’t google you’ll only get out of date or inaccurate information and your imagination will run riot, Stick to this site or MacMillan. If it does turn out to be BC stay on this forum, you’ll get a lot of support and information from the wonderful ladies (and gents) here, they’ve helped me a lot. Let us know how you get on at the clinic and if you want to cry/scream/ have a good rant , ask any questions do it on here, we all understand and will give you a shoulder to cry/lean on. Sending you best wishes and big hugs, Pat xx

Thankyou so much. Just got a letter through the post today, got my appointment on 23rd July, and thankfully it’s a one stop clinic. Don’t think I could wait for results, I feel sick enough as it is. Just got to get through the next week and half without going inane…

Glad you’ve got your appointment Rebeccah, it’s tough being in the “waiting room”, best advice I can give you is to keep yourself busy, less time for frantic thoughts. As I said before once you get your results and a treatment plan, if it’s needed and hopefully it won’t be, then you’ll feel much calmer and more in control. There is a BCC publication about appointments at the Breast Clinic, it will answer a lot of your questions, if you go to the top of the page and click on publications you’ll find a list of the booklets. Also I believe the helplines are good for allaying people’s fears. Wishing you all the best for your appointment, do let us know how you get on especially if it’s good news as we love good news. PatxPatx

Hi Rebeccah

The waiting really is the worst part. With me it was almost a relief to find out that it was breast cancer (not in the lump I went to the doctor with but in another lump the consultant found.)

You’ll read lots of posts about OH’s not being supportive…I know mine didn’t seem to be, especially as he went working abroad for 6 weeks the week before I had surgery. I think that they are just scared stiff and don’t know how to deal with it so, being men, they just pretend it isn’t happening. xx

I think that this is the case. He’s still trotting on as if everything is fine. Even expecting me still to feel amorous! He had a lump in his scrotum a few years ago , which turned out to be scarring tissue. so he just assumes that I should cope like he did. Basically bury your head and pretend it isn’t happening. But I can’t, I’m constantly worrying, feeling sick, and to be honest a little bit is sympathy would be nice. Bloody men!!

Hi please don’t worry about something that has not been confirmed. Loads of women have breast pain, I had it most of my life but that did not mean I had cancer. Also breasts can be lumpy without cancer. Been there and done that one too! Whatever it is there is a treatment plan and you will deal with it xx

Thought I’d let all you know, I had my appointment on Tuesday and after an examination and ultrasound I was told my breast was normal and all there was was normal breast tissue. I was so relieved.
I just want to thank all you beautiful ladies for your kind support. You all are a true inspiration to me.

That’s brilliant news Rebeccah, all the best for the future Pat x

Great news Rebeccah!

Don’t hesitate to go to the doctors again if you feel there’s anything amiss with your breasts. xx