waiting for results

I had a WLE and SNB on July 8th ( the day after my 60th birthday)it all happened in a matter of a few weeks, so still in shock, but getting used to it slowly. I get results on Thursday 23rd July this is the worst 2 weeks of my life and I am counting down the days until I see the Consultant ,don’t know what else to do, can’t think of anything else, although reading these posts I can see there are people much worse off than me, so wish me luck, I’ll be back after Thursday!! Jo

Hi Jo - you’re a couple of weeks on from me. I am due to have a WLE and SNB on Friday 31 July. I too am counting down the days - I am in shock and just can’t believe that four weeks ago I had no idea that all this was going to happen. I am trying to carry on as normal and be cheerful, but it is difficult. I have just sat through a three hour meeting taking notes and I can’t believe that I what I thought was important this time last month is now so totaly irrelevant. Good luck for Thursday - let us know how you get on. Kx

hi Jo, Just to say good luck with your results and there are lots of us who can relate to what you are going through. The waiting is awful, worse than awful. Keep busy and normal if possible would be my advice. Also if you are struggling to sleep don’t be afraid to ask your GP for some tablets to tide you over this bit. I did and it helped me quite a bit. I’m a third of the way through chemotherapy now having had WLE and some lymph nodes removed, and I will never forget the day I sat outside the consultant’s room to get my results. It’s a horrible time but I wish you good luck.
Scottiedog x

Hi Jo

Know how you feel - had my wide Local and SNB yesterday and now waiting… get my results on the 28th. I have my fingers crossed for you for Thursday - all the best and a big hug!

Katie x x

Hi Jo, this is the worst part as I know it is difficult to think about anything else. Once you have treatment plan you can focus on that and somehow it made me feel ‘better’. I have had chemo and rads but I remember the waiting. Just wanted to wish you good luck.

Love
Brenda x

And also good luck to you Katie, big hug to you

Brenda x

Thanks to all of you who have taken the trouble to post an answer to me, I am touched. knowing there are people out there in the same or similar position is helpful, as at the moment I felt like the only one but of course I’m not, good luck to you all and I will be back after Thursday whatever the Consultant tells, thanks again. Jo

Hi love I think that post op wait for results is the most stressful of all the waits.Here is a cyber hand to hold and will be thinking of you on Thursday.Do take someone with you and also a notebook and pen so you can write stuff down.You might also want to write down any questions you want to ask beforehand.We are all with you.
Love valxx

Just want to let you know that the waiting is the WORST! I had WLE and SNB at end of Feb, was “lucky” with my results and Just had rads and now on tamoxifen for forseeable future. It has been the maddest of 6 months but here I am out the other end and looking to enjoy our summer,if it stops raining ! This site is full of info and help and support whatever your results are, you will always find someone in the same boat, just remember you are not alone.Good luck and keep chatting, it really does help.

Sandra x

Well here I am, got my results yesterday, received good news and bad news,I was told they had removed all of the lump, which was quite deep, together with 4 nodes. Unfortunately the tumour was larger than first thought and was in fact a grade 3 tumour, so now I have to have chemotherapy for 6 months, followed by a second op to remove the remaining nodes, then radiotherapy and then start drug therapy. Obviously the power of prayer and positive thinking wasn’t as good as I thought, however I know it could have been a lot worse so today starts around 9 months of treatment,and I have had to cancel my trip to New York, and the thought of losing my hair fills me with dread! Don’t know what else to say. Maybe there are people out there who have had the same as me. Thanks for listening anyway. Jo

Hi Jo- I was in a very similar position to you at exactly this time last year- except that I was 65.

I was in really good health when I was picked up by routine mammogram and so my diagnosis came as a real shock… and after WLE and SNB my results were worse than I had been led to think - Grade 3, Stage 3, 1 lymph node affected. My reaction was to be angry! I just felt totally negative at the thought of all that treatment in front of me & really resentful at how the cancer was going to take over my life. Like you I had many things planned. I was due to visit my son & family in Kenya, a wedding, visit grandchildren, go on a walking holiday, take up a new volunteering job- so many things that my husband & I had all mapped out for the next few months - and then this!

I had great support from my family and friends - and of course, all the usual advice- one day at a time, keep positive, it’s doable etc etc - someimes it helped, sometimes it just made me madder!

Anyway- despite my initial plan to refuse chemo, in the end I settled down (like a good girl!) and accepted all the treatment the NHS could offer - though not with very good grace, at times. My surgeon and oncologist were great- and treated me with respect and as if I still had a brain though sadly a few of the nurses were rubbish. One Breast Care Nurse actually said ‘it’s 9 months out of your life- just get your head round it’- really helpful!
Along the way I stood up (metaphorically) and complained several times- which made me feel a whole lot better.
I had 3 x FEC and 3x Taxotere, 15 rads and now I’m on Arimidex for 5 years. I guess you will have something similar. It IS horrible losing your hair - and it does take a long while to regrow - but it does regrow. … I really hated losing my hair, although it was short- but I’ve worn wigs all along as I just couldn’t cope with scarves etc that shout 'cancer ’ - in fact very few people in the village where I live know that I have BC. I just couldn’t be doing with the sympathetic looks.
I have asked questions all along the way and been given honest answers; my prognosis isn’t good but the stats. are just that- figures -and I now I feel very well again and even more determined to live life to the full.
I have learnt a lot from these forums and have the greatest respect for the (many) very young women with children who are having to cope with a BC diagnosis and all the grotty treatment involved - but who are brave and gutsy and just getting on with it.
By this time next year I am sure that you will feel as I do - more determined than ever to get on with your life and to make up for lost time. I wish you all the very best. Mary

Hi Jo

As well as the support and advice you receive from the other forum users you may find the BCC booklet ‘Breast cancer and you’ helpful to read. This booklet is for anyone coming to terms with their diagnosis and treatment. If you would like a copy just follow this link:-

breastcancercare.org.uk/upload/pdf/bcandyou08.pdf

I hope you find it helpful.

Kind regards
Sam (BCC Facilitator)