cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

waiting

17 REPLIES 17
Sugal

waiting

it took 3 months for my wound to heal!  I still went ahead with rads tho' as they said it would be OK.  For my own peace of mind I put a plaster over the open part of the scar.  It didn't affect the rads and made me feel better.  Just keep creaming! xx

keeks

Re: waiting

Thanks for the reply GB

it's always nice to hear when something goes well, after all I've been through I expect the worst and hope for the best.

I know that the nurses will keep a close eye on me and won't do anything that will make things worse , I have followed the rad threads and am preparing myself but still hoping for the best.

glad to hear your treatment went well. 

Keeks

GB

Hi Keeks

I had my WLE and SNB Mid December and the wound took ages to close, was still bleeding several weeks later and had to have two courses of antibiotics for infections.  Eventually started my rads in early March. I  have psoraisis and a skin that burns easily in the sun so was nervous that rads would cause me major problems.  I used E45 before the rads to make sure the skin was well moisturised, then aloe vera throughout and I went pink and the skin texture changed a bit but that was all.  Then after the rads my scar got a bit crusty but persisting with the aloe vera seems to have made that go away after  a week or so. So fingers crossed that you have a similar experience and not as bad as you're fearing.

keeks

Thank you both very much for your replies.

I have very sensitive skin, (scottish red head) because I have had dressings on for the last five weeks I have areas which are sore and weeping.  this is all worrying me as I just know my skin will break out during rads.

my bc nurse said may have had a scan when I saw the oncologists last week to check the healing inside but it was never mentioned at my appointment.

I will make a point of letting everyone know my worries tomorrow so at least when they do the scan I will know how the internal healing is going. I am also going to beg them to delay my treatment. Let's see if anyone is listening.

I phoned on Thursday to arrange my patient transport to the hospital and got a letter on sat which I assumed was confirmation, unfortunately it was a leaflet requesting a minimum 'donation' of £25 per trip.

my course of rads will cost me £400. In travel if I want to use the service.  I will be able to claim most of the money back as went on to ESA when I was dx and the leaflet suggested I get a macmillan grant.

I normally have no problem with forms but somehow the post bc me gets so wound up about this kind of thing. 

I sound like a real moaning Minnie and normally that's not me.  

Saw my breast for the first time yesterday as the nurse put on a very small dressing on friday and at last I have no swelling.  It's not bad. A couple of big dimples,  thats about it. When I can get back to my normal bras should be fine. 

Rant finished for today, or at least until the next worry pops into my head, 

Keeks

Poetical

Smiley HappyHi I have just joined the forum. I really feel for you. The time delay is just time. there is a window in which chemotherapy has to start but it's not so with radiotherapy; as far as I understand. Better to get really healed before you start radiotherapy treatment. This is a nasty 'inconvenience' in our lives, keep going. We are strong! I gain strength bythe many people who have been through it before me.

Butterfly318

Evening Keeks.

Hope you are having an OK weekend and that at your appointment next week you can at least have the planning session for the Radiotherapy.

Take Care   Gilly x    

keeks

Thanks for the tip Butterfly

unfortunately I'm not near the stage of being able to toutch my scar yet. Still very open and being packed by nurse. Maybe when it's closed I'll give it a try.

It stopped bleeding last week once the metal clip came out. 

Take care

Keeks

Butterfly318

Evening Keeks.

Sorry that you seem to be having such a rubbish time at the moment. I won't tell you everything is going to be ok, I haven't got a crystal ball (God how i wish i had.....) Has anybody suggested scar massage to improve the blood supply to the surgical area.  I know you have some unhealed areas but if you massage the areas of scar that are healed it increases the blood and collagen supply helping the healing process.

I was taught to do it with small gentle strokes perpendicular to the scar.  I had WLE then re excision then had to have Mastectomy.  The skin was cut in exactly the same place 3 times in 5 weeks, i think its a miracle it healed at all but the massage really helped.  Maybe the Nurse who is dressing the wound could advise if this is likely to be helpful but like everything there are lots of sites if you Google telling you how to do it and the benefits, sometimes you've just got to go with what you think yourself.

Take Care.  Gilly x      

keeks

Thanks Magical Moon

I had my WLI  in Feb and when I read the leaflet I got at the time I just tick the list of things that can go wrong saying " got that"

Having been told by every one that my wound has to be fully healed I know I'm not ready for rads, 120 mile round trip to the hospital and will probably get sent home.

or is it that emotionally I'm not ready?

Keeks

Magical_Moon

Pleased to hear you got your letter today and you now have some confirmed dates.
Your body will heal in its own time and without a magic wand there is little you can do to speed the process except take care of the wound.
I don't want you to go to jail so I won't say everything is going to be OK!!!
M x
keeks

Got my letter today, planning appointment on Monday, rads start two weeks.  I feel like screeming. I have an open unhealed wound, still getting it dressed by the nurse twice a week.

if one more person tells me every thing's going to be ok I'll get jailed for assault. 

sorry for the rant.

Keeks

keeks

Thank you ladies for the info

looks like 3 to 5 weeks, I still have an open wound so I might have to wait a little longer. 

Keeks

Magical_Moon

Hello Keeks,
After the first appointment with my oncologist it was a week later that I had my radiotherapy planning set up appointment. I started my 15 sessions of radiation treatment two weeks after planning appointment.
The hospital I attended for radiotherapy was extremely busy so I thought my waiting times were very reasonable.
Hopefully you will get your letter this Friday.
M x
kathy03

Hi Keeks

I waited nearly two weeks for my planning appointment after seeing oncologist and still hadn't heard so I rang the radiotherapy department on a Monday and they got me in on Wednesday the same week. I'm going to The Churchill in Oxford which the oncologist told me is very busy. Your hospital may give you an idea when you'll be called. 

Hope you get your date soon.

Kathy

Angie55

Hi Meeks
I had my Oncology appointment on March 12th then planning appointment on 19th March. Started my Radiotherapy on 3rd April all quite quick I thought. I am sure it depends on the hospital.
Take Care
Angie. X
lucy12

Hi Keeks

I had my results and onc appointment on 17th Sept, planning on 27th Sept and started 4 weeks of rads on 21st Oct but there does seem to be loads of differences in the waiting times for different hospitals.

Hope you hear from them soon xx

Trisha_51

Hello Keeks, I can't tell you exactly how long you will have to wait, but can tell you of my experience. I had my oncology appointment on Feb 15 th last year and had my planning appointment at the radiotherapy dept on Feb 28th. I started my 15 sessions of rads on March 14th and finished them on April 5 th with a break for Easter. How long you have to wait will be influenced by how busy your local rads dept is, mine, St James in Leeds is a large but very busy dept. Hope this has answered your query, best wishes Pat x
keeks

waiting

Can anyone give me an idea how long the wait is from first oncology appointment  to getting planning apointment.

every stage in the treatment has waiting, then more waiting, then you wait some more.

I had my oncology appointment on 4th April, signed the concent form and they said I would get a letter with my planning apointment. But I would like an idea of when it's all likely to start.

Keeks