weight, dieting and tamoxifen.

hi ladies,

since starting tamoxifen just over a year ago i have put 2 stone on in weight, mainly around the trunk and i look like im having a baby. ive tried dieting but gave up  because it just wasnt coming off. however on reaching 12st 2lb i hve decided to go on a strict diet and try again ti regain some body shape instead of looking like a mr men character,

please tell me your success stories

angie x

I started tamoxifen in August last year straight after surgery. I started rads in oct and started a diet at the same time (having put on a stone last year during chemo and I was already a couple overweight…). I have managed to lose around 10 pounds so far, partly by dieting, partly by trying to be more active (mainly walking but just started swimming too). For most people it is possible to lose weight on tamoxifen, but it does require some focus and persistence. And really sticking to your diet of choice is key, but being active will help a lot, and also brings other benefits.

Hi hope you don’t mind me joining in. I had mx in July 2014, have had 6 cycles of FEC which finished in early December and have just finished 3 weeks of radiotherapy this week.  I am now starting on tamoxifen.

I have put around 8 pounds on during my treatment. I decided to do a calorie controlled diet now and hoping to start swimming next month. I believe walking can help too and the DVD from breast cancer care is also useful if you are motivated to do exercise at home.

Don’t lose heart x

Charity11

Hi I started Letrozole in September 2014 - I’d lost 4 stone with Slimming World prior to diagnosis and I was determined to carry on. I have one very supportive Oncologist who gave me lots of advice and basically have to watch my carbs and avoiding between meal snacks basically anything which Ightfield cause insulin spike. Since Sept I’ve lost just over a stone bringing my total to 5st 2lb. On Letrozole I have to eat less than I did before to lose weight but it can be done but I have to watch the pasta potatoes etc which is bit hard as im vegetarian but hey ho here we go ! . DETERMINED to lose the 3 st to get me to target by the 1st anniversary of my diagnosis in July. It can be done & I’ve got a wonderful slimming group that is so supportive. As weight comes off and I get fitter I feel better & stronger than ever xx

Hi angie
I managed to pile on over 2 stone since diagnosis, ballooning from a size 10 pre surgery to a size 14 post chemo. Had last chemo in December, started tamoxifen 1st Jan and started diet 5th Jan.

I’m doing the 5:2 diet. According to the book, I should be allowed to eat 1750 calories a day on my non fast days but knowing that it can be hard to lose weight on tamoxifen I decided to try to stick to 1200 on these days.

I lost 5lbs the first week and 4lbs the second. Next weigh in due Monday. Thinking that it will probably have slowed down after the initial great losses… but it’s looking very promising. ?x