weight gain

weight gain

weight gain hello everyone!
This is the first time I’ve tried this and I was wondering if anyone else has a problem with their weight! I was diagnosed with bc in october 2004 and had a lumpectomy in november. I was due to start chemo in december and stopped smoking straight away. Its been almost 2 years now and Im trying everything I can think of to lose the weight I’ve gained because I’ve got the added problem of painful joints. This is one of many side effects I am coping with. Its been just over a year since treatment finished and some of the side effects are subsiding but I am having a problem with the weight. I’ve been on tamoxifen for a year and I’ve accepted the fact that I’ll be on it for at least 4 more years but I’m not dealing with the weight gain too well at all. I’ve been seeing my G.P. about it and we are both looking at what other options there are, I’ve even started swimming 3 or 4 times a week. Any suggestions would be gratfully received.
Thanks,
Lynn

Helpline Hi Lynn

First of all can I welcome to the forums where I am sure you will receive lots of support and advice from the users here.

Please feel free to contact out free phone helpline on 0808 800 6000 The team comes from a variety of backgrounds, so callers get to talk to someone who has an understanding of the issues they’re facing.
The team is able to talk about both technical and emotional issues surrounding breast cancer and breast health.

Kind regards

Forum Host

Breast Cancer Care

Weight Gain I had Chemo and Radio and was on Tamoxifen from Dec 05 until Sept 06. I have put on around 2 stone since I was first diagnosed in April 05. I am at the gym 4 nights a week and it just never alters.

I was changed to Arimidex in Sept to see if this will help with the weight gain and painful feet, although most of my joints seamed to hurt !!

I started off feeling very sick with the change but it has past and I hope that my weight will alter. I always feel that I shoundn’t complain about the weight gain after everything that has happened but I hate it. The cancer changes you enough mentally and physically that to look in the mirror or go shopping for clothes that you seam to need a bigger size every time just tops it !!

My Dr did say that if you suffer from some of the certain side affects that Tamoxifen does you should see a benifit on Arimidex, so here’s hoping.

I have found that going to Body Balance classes has helped with the painful joints and a glass of Vodka or 2 helps!!

Keep in touch on how you are going and we are all here to listen.

Sue

weight gain Hi Lynn

Welcome, although the reason you have joined us is not something any of us want, you will find lots of help and support on this site from all the lovely ladies.

I too have been on tamoxifen for about a year and since the start of my treatment in April 2005 have gained three and a half stone, so I understand completely how you feel. As if all the things treatment does to you arent enough, you have to look in the mirror and see a bald Mrs Blobby. I tried all sorts to get back to my pre-chemo body but nothing seemed to alter me at all, in fact on some diets I even started to put weight on! UNTIL I tried the GI diet, (recommended by my Oncologists second in command) the results have been great, half a stone in the first week then a consistent two to four pounds a week. I have still got a long way to go, but its a positive start. Give it a try, what have you got to loose except pounds and inches.

Look after you
Sharon

Slimming World Hi
Lynn
Like you I gained weight after treatment (FEC, tamoxifen and now Aromasin). I put on nearly 2 stone. It made me very very miserable on top of everything else. I deicided to try Slimming world and It has worked! It has taken 5months for me to reach my target weight of 10st and I have now started running and I feel great. It has done a lot for my state of mind aswell. The Slimming World group were a great bunch of people and were very supportive. To fine your local group just google Slimming World.
All the best and good luck!!
Mo

Thanks Ladies Hello girls!
Just wanted to say thanks heaps for your words of encouragement.
It really helps to know others have the same problems. There isn’t one of us that want those problems but we do our best to cope with them.
I’ve also been made redundant recently which isn’t going to be easy to cope with but at least I’ll have more time to talk to my new friends.
Thanks again, will keep in touch
Lynn

Hi Lynn and everyone,
This to is my first time at doing this,I put on three stone in weight during my treatment and now I am on tamoxifen are also finding it hard to lose it.Like the other lady I find it hard when friends tell me not to worry about it after all I have been through.I am so glad I joined and know that there is others out there feeling the same way.I to have joined my local gym ,and go while my two year old is at pre-school.I have decided that if i dont lose weight then at least I might get fit.
with lots of love,
Wendy

weight gain Hi Lynne

Sorry to hear about your weight gain. I had been warned this could happen with tamoxifen and was a little worried about it. But I went along to my local slimming club told the class leader all about it, she was most sympathetic and understanding as her sister had been through this. Anyway to cut a long story short following the diet I managed to lose 2st.

I had my reconstruction 4 weeks ago and want to lose another 1.5 so am planning some swimming and back to the class when my wound heals.

I went in to it with I am not on a diet I have changed the way I eat attitude and I think that did help, along with the family willingly letting me not buy crisps and chocie biscuits.

Off for a banana now.
Good luck

Joanni

weight gain i’m struggling with my weight gain too,
i gained around 3 stone while on chemo.
i finished my chemo in may this year and rads in june,
i’m on Arimidex.
and i’ve been trying to eat healthly , cut out chocolate and cakes
so far i’ve lost 7lb but its comming off very slowly.

i have tryed to exercise lightly walking the dog and walking up town a mile away , instead of taking the car.

Today i tryed to join my local health centre but was told i need my dr’s written go ahead before they’ll let me.

kim x

Thank goodness! I’m so glad (though not for you, obviously) that other people have experienced weight gain due to the treatments for bc. I am 3 stone overweight after chemo followed by 4 years of Tamoxifen (not postmenopausal so can’t have Arimidex). However my family , who thought I would be skeletally thin after chemo ('cos people on TV always are), and don’t believe that weight gain has anything to do with Tamoxifen, think I am secretly stuffing myself with cakes and chocolate morning, noon and night.

I’m heartened to hear that the GI diet has produced results - might give that a go. My main problem is that I comfort-eat when depressed, and my weight makes me depressed - I’m sure you see where I’m going with this! The old vicious circle…

Hi Sharon
What is the GI diet?
Look after yourself Sue

weight loss Hello ladies!
Binner here, just had to share my good news with you all. Went to my G.P. today for my monthly check-up on my weight and after nearly 2 months of trying I’ve finally lost some weight. 6 WHOLE POUNDS!!!. WOOHOO. Alot of that is due to the amount of swimming I’m doing. Anything from 3 to 5 times a week.
As I’ve said in my previous post I had been made redundant recently, this is the reason why I can go so often but even when I am back at work I’ll keep it up cos its obviously doing me some good. After saying all that I haven’t been able to go much this week as I’ve got a cough and cold, but roll on next week. It feels great even if it is only 6 pounds.
Will keep you informed of my progress
love and cuddles
binner

Weight loss Well done Binner.

I am new to this forum and like all of you have gained about 3 stone since having chemo and radiotherapy for breast cancer, am also on tamoxifen.
Since the treatment i have been suffering badly with psoriasis also.
What diet are you on.
take care one and all
Curlyp

Words of wisdom from nutritionalist (??) Hi

After 2 years of trying to loose weight (gained 2.5 stone) a few pounds off here and there if very strict but as soon as holiday/special occasion/eased off… straight back on again! I thought I would seek advise from a nutritionalist as felt sure that it was drug related.

Not so sure it was such a good idea as she frightened me to death whilst blinding me with science (think she was Gillian McKeiths nasty sister!) apparently all those drugs are still lurkin and no matter how much excerise I do or how few calories I eat my body will still be full of ‘cack’ (her words!)

I think I need to cut out alcohol/dairy/sugar/wheat (thats just for starters!?) and eat linseed washed down with olive oil mmmm sounds yummy and for a treat have warm water with a freshly squeezed lemon (lucky me!)

So what do I do now? forget it as what is the point or find out more about the biochemistry that I need to adopt.(allegedly!)

She practically said having BC was my own fault as healthy cells could not become cancerous therefore I allowed mine to become unhealthy in some way.

I think that there may well be something in what she said and think I might have a go at being kind to my liver/detox in a gentle way as surely cannot harm but well done all you ladies who have lost weight in the usual way which would suggest that it is all a load of rubbish anyway!

CazR

what planet is she from Dear CazR
“words of wisdom” I don’t think! She wasn’t very helpful to say the least. Have you seen your G.P? I must admit Its far from easy losing weight and you have to persevere(easier said than done). Im going to say the same as all women on this site… Cancer is nobody’s fault. Even if you are a smoker. Every last one of us could get cancer, from the small child to the old man down the road to the nun in the local church.
To use her own words against her what aload of cack!!!
It may well take a long time to lose any weight at all but you will get there eventually. stick with it and believe in yourself. we all believe in you, so go for it girl!!!
Good luck and keep in touch
Binner xxxxx

Low fat diet Hello Curlyp
I’m on a low fat diet, being careful how much alcohol i drink and generally being sensible, getting lots of exercise( hence the swimming). Swimming is a very good form of exercise. Seeing my G.P. once a month helps because not everyone can be successful when they diet on their own. Mind you it is notoriously hard to lose weight while on tamoxifen.
Chin up, take care of you
Binner

weight Hi everyone it was so interesting to read of others weight gain. I put on over 2 stone since all the treatment did tamoxifin for 3 years and now on femara. Joints really a problem big time since switching to femara. I have tried all ways to shift the weight including slimming clubs very tired of little support with most people feeling I should not moan about anything as long as I am still here. Have seen lots of ads in the press for lighter life diet it is strict but perhaps this will get me back to being me and may even help the old joints.!!! anyone with any experience of this I would appreciate your comments. Sue

Me too Hi girls,
I have put on approx. 3 stone, too and as a diabetic, it is really frustrating. Cos if I cut my food to much I go hyper. When i asked my gp about it she said, hard luck as I am on tamoxifen for another 4 years, I just had to live with it. I have been on a no alcohol, low fat ,low sugar ,low salt ,diet for 5 years,. Since I was diagnosed with diabetes. I also excercise regular, walk my dog every 2 days for an hour and half.
I have just resigned myself to it. And will instead of losing weight, will just get as fit as I possibly can. But at least I dont feel I am the only one now struggling with this weight gain.
Take care,
Karenanne

sorry but I lost weight I quite went off my food when my consultant told me I’d lose lots. Don’t know where he got this idea from as most people seem to gain. I think this is due to dwelling on ill health, lack of exercise, breast cancer nurses who ladle chocs into us and into themselves (I thought they all seemed awfully fat and realised it was the choccie bicks etc at the support group meetings wot did it). I have put a bit on but am still half a stone at least lighter than at diagnosis. I went to Weight Watchers years ago and found that very helpful as I am so competitive. But you have to want to lose weight and be determined. Plus eat slower and more vegetables, fewer cakes, alcoholic drinks and biscuits.

Good luck

Mole