weight gain

OK. I’m REALLY fed up now. Had MX , Axil clearance, abcess, chemo and just finished rads. On herceptin and Tamoxifen and have just been to try and get an outfit for a “do” I’ve been invited to …when did I get so fat, why is it all round my stomach and how do I get rid of it ?? :frowning:

Me too :frowning: i think tamoxifen makes you put on weight, i came off it as had recurrence and new bc end of last year and have lost weight slightly. I think its because if like me i was a bit less active during treatment fec and herceptin as felt so rubbish. Im having a new drug now called tdm1 and am tired but have just joined a gym in the hope ill get fitter and loose a bt more. I was diagnosed just after having a baby and have never felt like my pre pregnancy self. Good luck :slight_smile:

Hi ladies,
Yep putting on weight first time in my life feel sure its down to the tamoxifen (also on herceptin) I was told that the tamoxifen interferes with you metabolism also if your in early menopause due to the chemo like me remember your nan or mum putting on weight whilst going through the menopause cause I do and I absolutely hate it, I am 44 and have always been a a size 8- 10 now all my clothes are feeling really tight and I’m finding size 12 fits better!! upset is not the word for it I look in the mirror and see myself as fat urghhhhh, breast cancer just keeps giving! Also its mainly around my middle and my bum yuk yuk yuk. Going on to a juicing only diet and going to start walking everyday for a couple of weeks see if I can shift it, will keep you posted if it works, sympathise wholeheartidly with you.
Love and light sarahlouise xx

I gained a stone in six months on tomaxifen, despite walking most days, have changed to letrazol and am hoping to lose the weight now, I,ve lost both breasts, no recon, and am now a very strange shape!!!

Oh I’m so with you on this! I’m on Herceptin, but with Femara and Zoladex.
‘Only’ 6 more to go though, and huge dilemma in terms of wanting it to end, but not wanting to let go of the security blanket I feel I have with Herceptin.
I had my first annual check this week and mentioned the weight gain to which it was suggested that I wrote down everything I ate… Hmmm that’s helpful, thanks.
I thought it was the Herceptin though, especially as I read somewhere that it was common to have weight gain around the stomach. But I guess the other thing is that the lack of oestrogen will change our body shapes too.

When I was on tamoxifen I put loads of weight on. Have now got seconaries and am on Femara and putting weight on again! Can’t afford to either as already obese! …

Well im one week in after joining the gym :slight_smile: its only taken me 3 years to get this far as with having a baby and 2 bc diagnosis but hey ive joined and theres no going back. Enough is enough now i must do this to lose the tummy, help my mood and i have to say im sleeping better and feel great just after 2 sessions. Its fantasic to get out the house so for me physically and mentally its just the thing. My gym isnt full of beautiful or skinny people soi i fit right in :slight_smile:
If you can afford to id highly recommend joining or exercising even if its just walking in the park or swimming at the council pool. I cant really afford the gym but dont think you can put a price on sleeping better and feeling better and the change of scenery is just what i needed after 2.5 years of treatment , staring at my 4 walls, surrounded by housework. Im now on ongoing treatment for life so the gym and swimming is something to look forward to as i enjoy it. Even has zumba classes so you dont just have to go in the gym if thats not for you.
Start with small achievable activities and build it up…suprising how you will do more and more as the weeks go by.
Even if you dont lose weight the other benefits are fantastic.
Good luck :-). Xxxx janine

I have the same problem as you all weight gain from treatment. My bum has never looked so big. It really upset me when I look at myself in the mirror and see how fat Iv got. I’m like you Janine diagnosed not long after giving birth. Soibc got bc weight gain on top of baby weight to lose. But joining a gym sounds like a fab idea. It’s nice to know I’m not the only one worried about weight gain.
Good luck everyone