Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

well that was a waste of time

15 REPLIES 15
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: well that was a waste of time

Hi

The last clinic appointment I had in August left me flabergasted by the registrar I saw.

First off when he examined my boob he "missed" the underarm swelling I had to point it out to him. He said oh that's fluid you need to do some exercises; he didn't know what they are though (thankfully I had the after surgery poster from BCC to fall back on).

He also had to refer me for my first annual mammogram; wrote on the form left breast I think my look said it all & he then asked if I needed "both sides" checked. I answered yes please luckily I still have 2!!!!

He did give me some good advice on the occasional nerve pain I have. Take regular Paracetamol to see if that works; & you'll need to see your GP to get them. I have to say this seems to have worked so far.

rubythursday
Community Champion

Hi OAL - not sure what area you are in but where I am (Lincolnshire) all dr's and onc's, surgeons etc have their contact details and email addresses listed on the trust website. I have had a lot of success getting detailed information via email and have even managed to get sneaky appointments when I have really needed them. Might be worth a try?

Ruby.xx

oldandlumpy

Do you know I think his attitude was to cover his lack of knowledge. His face went blank when I mentioned the radial scar. Poor lamb had to send the nurse running down the corridor to bring me back because he had forgotten to ask some of the things he was supposed to cover. He said I had confused him and put him off track.

Life is too short to be bothered kicking up a fuss. I have spent enough time up at the hospital over the last 5 months and now will just put it all to bed. I have checked the adjuvant on line and the figures are quite low. If I still have no problems by the time the next check up comes I might ring up and so I cannot see the point of attending.

Eliza

The onc registrar went through Adjuvant thoroughly with me at my post rads appointment and I found it helpful. He mentioned its uses and limitations.

I'd previously seen another dire registrar and the consultant and had been less than happy with them. So I complained - and have had excellent treatment since. OAL, I think I'd be tempted to complain about his patronising attitude.

Eliza xx

yamslass

I was diagnosed last October with ductal and lobular cancers. wle and then bilateral mx followed in December. I have never yet seen an oncologist. I am assuming that this was because I had grade 2 cancer and clear nodes meaning I did not need chemo or rads because of the mx. My follow up appointment is May next year.

I am looking on the bright side and assuming all this is because they are not concerned about where I am at present.

I hope I am right.

oldandlumpy

I think the system is that follow up appointments are handled by registrars and it is only the more serious initial appoinment that the consultant handles. the wonderful Mr K is too important to just do routine checks. I will ring the breast nurse and see if she can ask the oncology team to run my stats. I dont need to see anyone just to get the figures. See if the are the same as i have just come up with online

Guest user
Not applicable

HI O&L
Have you thought about contacting your BCN and asking to speak to your consultant instead of an oncologist.
I recently had a c**p appointment with a registrar at my hospital, it was supposed to be with an onco as i had been waiting 7 weeks to see him to go through my path report with me. As soon as i asked the registrar a question about my path report she just froze and the said she didn't know anything about oncology as she was new!
I was really upset as i had been waiting for answers to things that were worrying me on my report, so my brilliant BCN took over and within 2 hours i was back in the PRH Telford with by BCN and my breast consultant Mr H who went through everything, carn't thank him enough.

DJ007

Hi OAL

Why not write a letter to your original consultant with your questions (and maybe your experience today). They'll have to respond properly to that - anything put in writing makes them sit up and take notice.
Dx

Guest user
Not applicable

I really feel for you ladies that don't seem to get the follow up consultations you deserve! I know that I need constant reassurance that I am cancer free. I have finished chemo and I am just about to start rads but have been told by my onc that I will have appts with him and my surgeon alternatively every 3 months, which I thought was a really good follow up regime! Of course my BCN is always at the other end of the phone if need be, however, I also know this isn't the case for everyone either as my Mum died of BC 3 years ago and she never seen her BCN! It really highlights the difference in health care trusts around the UK which should all have a consistent approach to care.

Thank God we have each other because I have found out more about SE's from you girls than anyone else!!

Guest user
Not applicable

My hospital gives us 6-monthly visits to the oncology clinic, which would be good if only I got to see the same person twice. 😞

The last time I got some new doctor who didn't know anything about me and really wasn't interested. Hope I get somebody decent next time so I will feel I'm not wating my time going there.

We don't get to see the surgeon unless maybe we want reconstruction.

wizardpoo

Hi O&L sorry your visit was a bit of waste of everyone's time! Don't it just drive you mad!! I know you are around the same age as me and I guess if your anything like me we get impatient to say the least at all this sort of crap. Think it happens all the time.. I went recently as emergency case from GP surgery cos I had an ECG done there that was abnormal. was told could be heart attack or angina so had to go hospital..right. in there for 5 days - back for outpatients results etc-was told.. echocardio was 'fine'. I asked so what was the problem? was told 'perhaps the leads were not connected correctly for the ecg!! now once possibly-but I had 4 ecg's done.when I queried this I got a duh blank look-no answer-more waste of our time and nhs resources -drives me nuts...sorry for rant!!!

oldandlumpy

I dont get to see my oncologist again. I asked and was told that was not hospital policy.

never mind, I have done the dreaded googling. This dumbo did give me the tubular, nuclear and mitosis scores so i have done my own research and discovered that as my score is 6 which is the lower end of grade 2 which cheers me up no end. Also the mitotic rate score is very low and some sites say that is the most important indicator.

GIJaneH

I get the feeling that perhaps the reason we get fobbed off is that, actually, they don't know. The treatment we are receiving hasn't been going long enough to have firm data, I think. They are optimistic and know prognoses will be better than before, but I'm not sure they can tell us as much as we want to know. But I could be completely wrong cause Angie's consultant gave info........

Guest user
Not applicable

hi oldandlumpy ... how bad is that ?... a doctor who does not have any answers.. was it trainee day ?
i cant believe the way some hospitals work , obviously for some patients it is better they dont know the nitty gritty facts. but when someone is .. like yourself well aware of what is going on.. and asks important questions.. these questions should be answered as honestly as possible..in a language we all understand..if your doctor did not have the answers.. he should of asked someone who did..
when do you next see your oncologist ?
i saw mine about 6 weeks after treatment finished, and he was so kind .. i took a list of questions with me, and reeled them off, he answered every one.. i was a bit anxious and stressed out , he could see this, and took my pen from me and wrote down the answers for me to read later, he also told me to ring his office anytime i needed to ask anything ..i would of been gutted with the appointment you had today ..ring your oncologists office tomorrow, and see if you can get an appointment with him/her.. asap... sorry you had such a crappy day ... but hey... you got a new coat... did u get the shoes and bag 2 match ?.. angie xx

angielav

How annoying! I have asked every time for stats, and been told they haven't worked it out yet .. you dont need to know.. its all very good now! Not quite sure why they keep those reports from us - but they seem to treat everyone as if they were dim. And haven't you found that we know so much more than the professionals (except for the reports) because we all speak to each other!!!

oldandlumpy

well that was a waste of time

finished treatment a month ago and went in for an appointment at breast clinic. A complete waste of time. Asked me what side effects of radiation i had had, for each one he said that will pass,(well i knew that) I asked when and he said it is different for everyone. He smiled and said you have a good prognosis --this for me was the major purpose of the visit. "how good?" says I "hasnt anyone told you yet" said he. 'no' i said ' my path report has only recently been produced so i was hoping you could tell me'

but he did not know how to use the on line calculator and just kept saying, its very good, then eventually said probably about 10%. when i asked if that was 5 or 10 years, re-occurance or survival. He just got flustered and said I did not need to know all these technical details.

I asked him various questions about the path report, and he asked if i was a doctor or a medical professional and when i said no he said there was no need to know that sort of detail, when i said i did not mind being confused by facts it turned out he as a surgeon did not know the answer, it needed an oncologist, and no at this stage i was not entitled to see an oncologist.

So i had sat for an hour in the clinic and came out no wiser than when i went in. He asked my to come back in three months for a check up, I suppose that is going to be another waste of time and national health resources.

I dont suppose it matters, it will not effect what I do, and I am certainly not worried about it. I just am interested in detailed information and it would have been good to know.

I consoled myself by thinking about what a fortunate position I was in compared to all the others there being seen for the first time or going back for results.

And the hospital is next to my favourite dress shop so I snapped up a jacket that had just come in. I normally wait for the sale a that shop, but this was my treat to me.