what to do while I wait ...

Hello everyone who kindly reads these posts!
I found a lump about 10 days ago, went to my GP on Monday fully expecting him to say ‘Oh it’s nothing, come back if it’s not gone in a month or two’. I started to get scared when I saw the urgent referral form to the breast cancer clinic, and now I am terrified! My appt is next Monday, and how am I going to pass the days without going mad? I’ve stupidly read so much stuff online, and have convinced myself that this is cancer. I am thinking about it 24 hours a day.
I am a single parent to a toddler, and that is making things even worse - I"ve extrapolated the whole thing to a terrible end point in my mind!

How can I stop making myself sick with worry? Thanks of you have read this, and apologies to you all, who probably have all your own worries too! :slight_smile:

Hi and welcome to the Breast Cancer Care discussion forums, you’ve come to the right place for some good support as the many informed users of this site have a wealth of information between them.

While you are waiting for replies I have put for you below the link to one of BCC’s publications which you might like to read before your hospital appointment.

Referral to a clinic:
breastcancercare.org.uk/healthcare-professionals/publications/quick-order-list/*/changeTemplate/PublicationDisplay/publicationId/59/

Also, if you need someone to talk to in confidence then please do phone the helpline here, the staff are here to support you. Calls to the helpline are free, 0808 800 6000 lines open Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm and Sat 9am - 2pm

Take care,
Jo, Facilitator

When I was in your position I was advised to speak to my local GP who prescribed some medication - one lot to help me sleep and also some other things to take if I felt overly anxious, which i did - couldn’t stop shaking for 2 days after diagnosis, and could barely eat. It’s a horrible scary waiting period, and in my opinion you shouldn’t suffer more than is absolutely necessary, and especially with children you need to get a good night’s sleep and try to keep busy and normal. Easier said than done I know, but for me the tablets helped, and I didn’t use them much, they were a bit of a safety net. Good luck with your screening appointment and I’m glad you will be seen soon - hopefully (and I think usually it is the case) that it turns out to be nothing to worry about and you can put this whole thing behind you. Fingers crossed for you.

Hi Planet Jupiter

The waiting time is horrible, but please try and focus on your little one. You might not have breast cancer, but maybe a cyst or something like that. If it does turn out to be something more scary, you will manage it and deal with it as you are probably a lot stronger than you think you are. I was diagnosed 7 months ago when my baby was only 9 months ago, and I can still remember the initial disbelief and shock and the ‘how will I get through this’ - but I did. I am back at work now and leading a pretty much normal life. It has made me appreciate things a HUGE amount more, especially my little boy and husband.

Is there a friend or family member who can go to the appointment with you on Monday because there is sometimes quite a lot of hanging around so it is definitely better to have company.

I will have everything crossed for you on Monday, please do come back on and talk anytime. You will find there is always someone ‘on’.

Love

Shenagh x