why app with respiratory medicine not oncologist?

Have put this thread here for more people to see it. I have also put thread in treatments section. Thanks

I’ve recently been diagnosed with lung cancer (prob secondary BC), diagnosed from scans. Primary BC nearly 9 yrs ago. Been ill for mths, back and forth to GP who set up scans and bloods. Since this result I’ve now been refered to the hospital, appointment today. My question is, why have I been reffered to a doctor for respiratory medicine, and not an oncologist? I don’t know what to expect today. With primary BC I had a full morning ap with various tests. and at the end of the 3 hrs I had a diagnosis and treatment plan.

I don’t think that is going to happen today by the looks of things, and I am so worried about further delays. If theres hope, I want treatment to start NOW. Can anyone suggest what may happen today? Thanks.

Hi imac55

I’m sorry to read you’re having such a tough time at the moment.  You might find it helpful to talk things through with a member of staff on the BCC helpline.  Here you can share your thoughts and concerns with someone who will offer you a listening ear as well as emotional support and practical information.  The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and lines are open weekdays 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator