wigs...any advice??

Hi everyone

After being told I will need to have chemo I have been reading on this section quite a bit, found it really useful to help prepare for the journey ahead. Having spoken to some ladies about treatment with diagnosis similar to mine, grade 3 with some node involvement (1 so far out of 3, but rest due for clearance) I anticipate I will be having Tax. 

I have decided to try the cold cap but want to be fully prepared if it fails. My bcn advised 50/50 chance of success rate, so will buy a wig to be prepared and a few scarfs.

My questions are:

Has anyone tried the coldcap on tax especially,  but also fec, what was the outcome, any tips ?

Does anyone know of a good website for natural looking wigs?

Does anyone actually wear their wig most of the time?

Have most people gone for a similar style to there own?

If anyone has kept their hair throughout the chemo any advice on grey roots, I know they can’t be coloured but anyone have any innovative ideas ??

To everyone who has wrote on these threads, thankyou as  I have found them invaluable in helping me prepare and at least try and take some kind of control over this journey xxx

Louise x

I picked a wig close to my own hair type. Struggled to get a decent curly wig-I think it’s easier if you’ve got straight hair. I wore it most of the time when I was out and about but had to wear it with a hat because it was a bit too ‘coco the clown’ without a beret. As it was winter when I had chemo this was ok. As the days got warmer and with the start of the Tamoxifen flushes it became a bit too hot. I ditched it as soon as I could. It took about 4-5 months from my last chemo till I felt I had enough hair to brave the world wigless. At first it was a bit embarrasing but as I was on holiday at the time-where no one knew me so didn’t feel too self conscious. I’m now about a year past the last chemo and I would say my hair is about 3 inches long. I have curly hair which grows slowly. I Have just finished heceptin and have already noticed a difference in the rate of growth of my nails so am hoping hair will catch up. If I had to do it all again, I would try the cold cap.

One piece of advice. Go wig shopping when you feel well enough, and shop around until you get exactly what you want. Try lots of styles.

Hi louise,
Cant answer question about cold cap, as my onc told me not to bother as it wouldnt work. I have now lost most of my hair (im on tax) and to be quite honest its not been quite as traumatic as I thought it would be.
I wear my wig most of the time now and don’t find it too uncomfortable, also I have got one very similar to my own hairstyle, and a lot of my friends and family say they cant really tell the difference! Good luck and best wishes Emma x

Hi Louise 

I have just had tax no 2 today following 3 previous doses of fec and am pleased to say that using the paxman cold cap have kept nearly all of my hair so far. It does shed a bit after each dose so is slightly thinner but only I would notice it.  There is excellent advise on the paxman website on hair care during treatment.  First 10 minutes are cold but this does pass I take a couple of paracetamol about 30 mins before which helps. I am using simple shampoo and conditioner with good results. With regard to roots hair has only grown about an inch so roots are not too noticeable. I know cold cap not for everyone but I just tried it the first time and took it from there!

Good luck with your treatment - day by day it’s all doable

Best wishes Karen :0) 

Thank you everyone for your replies. Its so interesting to read everyone’s different experiences. Interesting the comment about hair not growing much when on chemo and using cap, read that one before, thanks ladies xxxxx

Check out www.heathershair.co.uk for a wig alternative. I used it throughout the time I didn’t have hair and loved it. All the best to you.