wle mid April...some questions

Hello, can anyone give me an idea of the recovery from a wle (no nodes)? I really don’t know what to expect afterwards or when I might be ready to go back to work.The surgeon said I would be off at least until I see her two weeks later for the results. But it would be good to hear some personal experiences.Also do you have a drain with this op? I think my diagnosis is starting to sink in but waiting for the op feels a bit like no man’s land and all these questions start popping in to your head. I know I can ring my breast nurse that has been assigned to me but I thought I would try on here first because reading many of these threads has helped and makes you feel less alone. Thanks x

Hello Princessbear,
I am five months down the road from my WLE and SNB. I was frightened about the operation because it was my first serious operation. I live alone with no family or support network so I was worried how I was going to look after myself.
Looking back, the operation was the easiest part of my cancer journey. I had minimal discomfort after the operation. You will feel a little groggy the day after due to the anaesthetic but once this has worn off you will be able to function OK. I didn’t need a drain and was just bandaged up tightly. I could do the arm exercises the Physio advised and could fend for myself.
If you love going to work you will probably feel OK to go back quickly.
HOWEVER, I would certainly recommend staying off until you get your pathology results. The waiting is the most difficult time and you will not sleep well. Deep down you are anxious and your mind wanders. Only natural under the circumstances. It is therefore best to take time out to look after yourself and put yourself first. Your body needs time to recover and your mind needs time to readjust and come to terms with the diagnosis and journey ahead (your treatment plan).
I am sure you will be fine and resilient like all the ladies who have gone through BC.
Keep in touch on this Forum as we all want to help each other. The Forum has helped me to feel less isolated.
Wishing you good luck and best wishes.
Peace and Positivity,
M x

Hi

I had wle in November.  I had a sentinel node biopsy at the same time.  I was only in hospital for the day.  I just felt groggy afterwards and went to bed when I got home.  But the next day  I felt fine - a bit lightheaded but nothing to worry about.  My surgeon gave me a sick note for 6 weeks!  In hindsight I didn’t need that long and could certainly have gone back to work much sooner.  I had no pain at all.  I did the arm exercises every day and went out for walks to aid my recovery.  I had dreaded the operation because I didn’t know what to expect but it really was nothing to worry about.  Good luck with everything.  Jane

Hello Princessbear, I had a WLE &SN Biopsy mid Jan ‘13, no node involvement, no need for chemo, 15 sessions of radiotherapy and 5 years Anastrozole. I can echo Magical Moon’s reply. The op was done as a day surgery case and I had no drains. My wound was horizontal across my boob through the nipple (which I no longer have), and I had two dressings, one on main wound & one on SNB. I had very little pain or discomfort, only taking painkillers for the first night and subsequent morning. I was able to do the exercises on the DVD straight away and had a great range of movement from the off. My wound healed very well and I was able to start my radiotherapy at the allotted time - mid March. As I don’t have big boobs I had very few problems with my skin during or after radiotherapy, I slathered on the aqueous cream for a couple of weeks before rads started & continued for many weeks afterwards and took antihistamine tablets for the itchy rash. The radiotherapy continues to work for weeks after your sessions finish and it’s then when you may feel most tired or have skin reactions. As I’ m retired I can’t tell you how soon you will be able to go back to work, it’s a very individual thing anyway, depends on so many variables, what your own treatment plan is and how you react to the various treatments you may have. Hope this has been of some help to you, best wishes & take care Pat x

Thanks so much for all of your replies so quickly, this forum is such a help. I have family and friends who are really supportive but every so often I catch myself thinking ungrateful thoughts, like ’ you don’t know what this is like’ and I’m so grateful at the same time that they don’t!

I am normally pretty positive about life in general but there are some really dark moments aren’t there and I haven’t even started treatment yet. I have been told that I will need 15 radiotherapy treatments about two months after op, but also know that I have to get the clear margin results we all pray for first.

One thing I keep hearing though is to give yourself time emotionally and physically to heal. So i wont rush to get back to work. Work is helping at the momeng though because i can trick myself into thinking for a short time that this isnt happening. Its a good distractions. I used to live for the weekends but actually find them the hardest at the moment. You all sound very positive and that’s really a big help, thank you xx

Hi Princessbear.

I had my WLE on 29th Jan, 1 lymph node removed which was negative. Like the other ladies I was only in hospital for the day. I know I am lucky but I didn’t have a lot of side effects. I had a excema type rash in my armpit which cleared up with cream from my Gp. I start my radiotherapy on 3rd April and like yourself have 15 sessions. Good luck with your ongoing treatment.

Angie

Hi Princessbear
Yes 1st rad session done no problem. I think u are a bit confused about what happens. The tattoos are done at your planning appointment and they take measurements so they can get you in the correct position for your treatment.

Your 1st rad appointment takes longer because they have to double check all the measurements are correct. The actual treatment takes minutes. Hope your appointment goes well tomorrow.Any other questions just ask.
Take Care
Angie. X

Thanks Angie and Magicmoon for all your information. Its so helpful hearing whats to come. I actually found your radiotherapy in April thread Angie and its helped to answer many of my questions, I will follow your progress on there too. Take care both xx

It feels like its been forever waiting for surgery but its tomorrow. Feel kind of nothing at the moment, maybe the nerves will show themselves later? It feels like everyone around me is anxious and calling, sending messages etc and I’m this still calm person in the middle (not what I am normally like at all)…

Hi Princessbear

Thinking of you today and wishing you luck and hoping all goes well

Jaye xx

Well thank goodness that day is over. It was very long! I had the wire put in around midday but didn’t go down to theatre until just before 4pm. Was home just after 9.30. I was starving by the time I was taken back to the ward and really tired as I was up at 5.30am so I could have a light breakfast. Pain is manageable with meds, just resting and having little catnaps today. Have found a soft cup bra with a crop top over the top to give good support and help with any discomfort. Won’t get results until 2nd may but for now focussing on rest. Thanks everyone for all the messages of support. Xxx

Hi Princessbear

Glad you have got your op over and you are ok.  It is a long day isn’t it, I was at the hospital for 15 hrs too as I was last on the list.

Try to rest and not worry too much about the results

All the best

Jaye xx

Thanks everyone for your well wishes. Our house is starting to look like a florist! Family and friends showing support anyway they can. I will indulge in some chocolate eating this weekend that’s for sure! Its our wedding anniversary on Sunday and we were supposed to have been in France for a nice long weekend so feeling a bit cheated because of course we had to cancel it when I found out when my surgery was going to be. So far I feel not too bad, not so many meds needed today, still feel quite sleepy. Have been doing my exercises and quite pleased with shape of boob. Its sitting a little higher than the other but no obvious dent that I can see, the surgeon said she would move tissue around to prevent this. They are incredibly clever these days!

I think it might be time for a little nap.

Glad to hear your radiotherapy is going well Angie and you have a bit of a longer break over Easter.

Take care all. Xxx

I think I have been doing quite well and haven’t needed much medication since about day 3/4. Its now day 10 and I had the worse night, woke up with throbbing pain, back to like day after op. Doesnt look infected or anything so hoping its healing pain? I wonder if I did too much yesterday…some washing and general tidying up. Have been doing exercises but generally taking it easy. Anyone else had this?

Hi Princessbear
I am pleased that you are doing ok. I think because we start to feel better we ladies start doing little jobs I think that’s ok if it doesn’t involve stretching up to clean or reaching for things. Also avoid heavy lifting. I carried shopping on the opposite side to my op. You will soon be back to full strength. I would still have plenty of rest. It is my final session of Radiotherapy today. Look after yourself and keep posting. I was wondering how you were getting on.
Take Care
Angie. X

Hi Angie, I think you are right I have found it hard not to do anything around the house when I’m home all day and the washing is piling up. As its my right side I naturally use my right hand before realising, I’m not great with my left hand! Going to take it extra easy today.

Good luck with your final radiotherapy session, so pleased that it’s almost over for you. Take care. Xxpb

Hi Lucy, I still have a week to wait until I see the surgeon again. My appointment is next Friday 2nd at 2.30. It seems like an age away. I am feeling really tired today. I’ve had a good check around my right side while in the shower and everything looks OK. I still have the steristrips on though, bit scared about seeing the actual scar. I took some more meds this morning and that has helped. The BC nurse said if all the steristrips haven’t come off by the time I go for my appmt they will remove them then so I’m assuming it’s fine for them to stay on until they come off by themselves.

Thank you for your replies it good to hear other peoples experiences.

Xxpb

Hi WP23, I know what you mean about aching shoulder and back. My left side has always been a bit crap (trapped nerve) so now the right side is not great either the whole area feels achy. I am doing my exercises but also trying to relax as much as possible. How long to you have to wait for your results appmt? The waitings a killer isn’t it?? Take care xx

Hi Princessbear
I got my appointment for the results when I left the hospital after my surgery. It was 2 weeks after my op. Hope you hear soon. Have a nice weekend.
Take Care
Angie. X