working tax credit

I have been on ESA since being diagnosed in Jan. I was lucky that I was assessed in the 13 weeks and put into the support group. I have a couple of questions.

1. Do I still need to get a sick note from my doctor?

1. I would like to apply for a 20 hour a week job, the rules for working tax credits seem to be you must work 30 hours a week to qualify if you don’t have dependant children but 16 hours a week if you do have dependant children or qualify through disability.  Does breast cancer count under the disability clause.

I really want to get some sort of order to my life but there is no way I can work full time,

Hi keeks

Whilst you wait for the other users to reply with their experience and knowledge may I suggest you give the BCC helpline a call on 0808 800 6000.  Here you can talk through your questions and concerns with a memeber of staff who will offer you a listenign ear as well as support and practical information. Lines are open weekdays 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, Facilitator 

Hi I have been put into the support group too, I think you can work 16 a18 hours approx and you don’t need to keep getting sick notes . Look on the governments website regarding benefits should tell you there. Or you could ring them if you have a spare few hours !! Good luck x

Hi Keeks,

With regards to WTC, you can work 16 hrs per week providing you received ESA up until you start work (or you have been awarded PIP). The rest of the criteria surrounds previous year and current year income.

If you have a partner their income would also have to be taken into account.

If you do phone for a claim form please remember to tell them you have been on ESA and make sure you put on the claim form that you are a disabled worker otherwise it would be rejected.

To check the amount you would receive there is a calculator you can use on the gov.uk website (Tax Credit calculator).

Regards,

Ann

Thanks Ann

that was my understanding, I’m waiting to hear about a 20 hours job.

Keeks