worried I won't be able to get to Hospital tomorrow!

Hi,
This is the 5th day we have had snow in Aberdeenshire, and I managed to travel the 22 miles to Hospital, on the buses, up to Friday, when I had my 9th Rads. So far so good, but yesterday we had around another 8 inches of snow, are due more today, and it is forecast to get worse! I am Soo worried about being able to get into Aberdeen, and if I can’t what happens?? OH tells me not to worry, but I can’t help it, I just want my treatment finished, like everyone else, and I am panicking about the consequences of not being able to go in tomorrow. Has anyone had this sort of experience? And if so, what happens next, please?
love from a worry wort!
Heather.x

Hi Heather

I am in the north east and we have had a lot of snow too. My journey to rads is about a hour drive in the morning normally. I am worried about tomorrow. I asked the nurses on Friday and they said to ring in if i am going to be late or can’t make it at all. They stressed that this does happen and not take unnessessary risks. My app is at 8.50 in the morning. I will park my car near the main road and drive v slowly ( if at all). It does feel like the snow is adding stress to the whole thing and wish it would just melt. But I still have ten rads to go and it is possible the snow will be around for a while. Take care debx

Hi Heather
I live in Aberdeenshire too! I think the forecast is looking a little better, will be mighty cold tonight, but should ease up. Living in this part of the country, the gritters and bus drivers have lots of experience with dealing with this extreme weather. Sorry I don’t know what happens with your treatment (just started this ‘journey’) but I’m sure the bc nurse will be able to advise you. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you. Donna x

Hi Deb,
You take great care if you drive tomorrow, that’s an early appointment in this weather, and, as they said, the Rads Nurses will be really understanding if you decide to go later, and let them know. (It made me feel better when you said that, thank you!) This weather definitely adds stress to the whole thing… as if we haven’t got enough to contend with! I just didn’t think to ask my Nurses about it on Friday, they are so nice we tend to talk mainly about my Kune pig and the chickens, etc. (Must get my prorities right in future!)
Take care,
Heather.x

Hi Donna,
Yes, you’re right about the gritters and bus drivers up here, although some of the drivers DO seem to go a bit fast! We live 2 miles from the village, so that can be a bit of a journey on our single track road in the snow, but lately we have gone 6 miles to Ellon Park and Ride, because the buses are much more frequent, and of course they go down the A90, not all round the winding country lanes!
Deb has put my mind a bit more at rest, although OH reckons he can get us to the bus, anyway. He never worries about anything, unlike me!
Whereabouts are you in Aberdeenshire? I am sorry you have had to start this journey, too… there seem to be so many of us, and it seems a long time before we are “sorted”, but we’ll get there!
Heather.x

Hi ladies, I’m in Caithness and its very deep here where I live. Have my 5th chemo on Wednesday so just hoping the roads are ok - can’t face the thought of it being postponed. Hope you’re all doing ok xx

Hi Javelin,
I hope the roads will be OK for both of us. We are 400yards down a farm track, and in this deep snow I wouldn’t drive anywhere in my car, but OH has been a really great chauffeur this year! It’s just as well, because I have lost a lot of confidence, I’m afraid.
All the best for Wednesday, where do you have to go?
Take care,
Heather.xx

Hi Heather, I have to go to Caithness General for chemo which is 20-odd miles away. My OH has also been a brilliant chauffeur this year and wouldn’t hear of me taking myself - which is just as well :slight_smile:

Take care out there

Jan xx

I hope all you ladies do manage to get in for your treatment. Just to say that if you do miss a day (or even 2) it is not likely to matter. 2 years ago I was having rads over xmas and new year and seemed to be missing 2 days all the time! (more if you factor in weekends!) No one was worried or seemed to think it would make any difference.
Good luck with the roads. Mo

Hi Ladies, I am in Edinburgh and the main roads are cleared now but the side roads are treacherous. Edinburgh Airport has closed. The forecast is for more snow and the wind will be coming from Siberia next! I cannot see my garden and the feeders on the ground have disappeared under all the snow. I had to make a special spot with food under a bench so the birds can drink and eat. They were trying to get water by banging on the thick ice with their beaks…so fresh water and food out to them.
Don’t worry about missed appointments. Just keep safe and the appointments can be rearranged for you when the road conditions are better. Take Care. Val

Hi Jan,
Thank goodness for our OH’s being able to drive us around! (I didn’t think mine would be as patient as he has turned out to be!)
Hope we get to our respective Hospitals this week.
Take care,
Heather.xx

Hi Mo,
Thank you very much for your reassuring comments about missing a day or two of Rads, I had been really worried because I wondered if it would be crucial if I did. Honestly, the things that worry us about bc, or the treatment for it!
Watched some forecasts tonight and it seems we are in for a fair bit more snow in the night, but OH still says I mustn’t worry, bless him.
Heather.x

Hi Val,
it sounds like you have got similar conditions to what we have.Yes, the forecaster said it was going to be bitterly cold…not very good!
We’ve had to break thick ice on our chickens’ tubs of water, and the pig’s big drinker, too, she only comes out of her “house” to eat and drink in this weather, and keeps to the same track she made on her first outing of the day!
Good for you, feeding the birds and giving them water, Val, it’s very hard for them right now. We have a big sparrow population here, which has grown enormously in the 6 years we’ve been here, mainly because they pinch some of the hens’ corn, but I don’t mind that!
Here’s hoping things warm up a bit soon, thanks for your reassurance,
Take care,
Heather.x

Hi Heather, so much for my forecast that the weather would improve!! Hope you made it in okay. I live south of Aberdeen, and decided to go Christmas shopping in town today. Cabin fever had set in as I hadn’t been out of the house for a few days. Once in Aberdeen the roads were passable, mostly wet but not too bad. How often do you come in for treatments?
I have an appt tomorrow with a plastic surgeon, hope I can make it across town, guess I could try the bus :wink: ha ha!
Keep in touch. Donna x

Hi

I made it for my app today, but we have had loads more snow since I got home and are due more later. So back to square one. Don’t know if I will make it tomorrow now. This is a real pain. Take care if you venture out. Debx

Hi Donna,
Yes, thanks, we made it OK. OH drove us to the Park and Ride again, and the main road wasn’t TOO bad, even though it started snowing really heavily as we got nearer to Aberdeen. I was thinking “Oh, no! The journey back will be horrendous if this keeps up” However, we had to wait quite a long time at the Hospital today, as several people with early appointments had come in later ( don’t blame them), and when we came out to catch the first bus I was amazed to see ( as you said) that the roads had turned wet, so although the snow was still deep everywhere else the journey home was fine! When having Radiotherapy it’s a daily trip to the Hospital, the treatment takes just minutes, but the journey today took approx 4 hours all told!
I hope you get on fine going to your appoinment with the plastic surgeon tomorrow, Donna, my appintment for Rads is 15.30 tomorrow, but I have to go and have some bloods done at one of our surgery branches at 8.50! Rather early in this weather!
Good luck tomorrow, will keep in touch,
Heather.x

Hi Deb, glad you made it for your Rads today, I did, too… albeit a bit hairy on the roads when it snowed really heavily for a while on our journey to Aberdeen! Know what you mean…I am anxious about tomorrow’s journey, especially as one of my Nurses said today to come later if I couldn’t make it earlier because “you don’t want to miss a treatment”. There I was thinking if I had to miss one it wouldn’t be too big a problem, oh well! OH is very positive about us getting to every session, I wish I was more like him!
Take care if you go out, too, I agree it’s a real pain in this weather.
Heather.x

Hi Donna,
Hope your appoinment with the plastic surgeon went well?
Just a quick post as I am soon getting ready to go out, another Rads today, then just two more! Weather has been very dodgy, as you will know, but we’ve made it there early, even with several buses not arriving.
Sno is even deeper today, but OH still insists we’ll get to Park and Ride alright, bless him!
Take care,
PM me if you want to?
Kind regards,
Heather.x

Deb, how are you doing with your rads appoinments? Hope you’re not finding it too difficult getting to them?
Take care,
Kind regards,
Heather.x
PM me. if you want to.

Hi Heather, I so glad you managed to make it in to ARI for your treatment, your last one must be tomorrow morning? That will be quite a relief for you I’m sure in more ways than one. Your OH sounds like a great support to you, and I’m sure he is happy to have a job to do that he feels he can get involved in and help you. I know my OH feels very helpless and doesn’t know how he can ‘fix it’, like he normally does (I wish he could too).
My appt with the plastic surgeon was a little frightening as I’m having a bilateral breast reduction at the same time as the lumpectomy. Made it very real, as they described exactly what the plan was. Still no date yet for surgery, but I’m seeing my consultant Mr Diggin on Monday, so I’m hoping he will have a date for me then. Good luck with your last rads journey tomorrow. Donna x