Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

worried about taking tamoxifen for Breast pain

6 REPLIES 6
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: worried about taking tamoxifen for Breast pain

hello loulabell thanks for your help and good wishes i have not had a biopsy and there has been no mention of one, one of the breast docs suggested referring me to a dermatologist as the skin is different on my right breast and thickened around the nipple but then i seen another doc who didnt mention it, so i am going to ask to see if they will do one just for peace of mind itself. Glad to hear you not having major side effects on the tamoxifen, hope you on road to recovery now good luck best wishes and thanks again,
Guest user
Not applicable

hello paged thank you for the help yes they did mention to me pain might be hormonal so maybe that is why they offerring it glad to hear the side effects are not so bad think its this that is scaring me off the tamoxifen. Hope you are getting better.
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi,
I am just wondering if you have had a biopsy done at any stage? I only ask as I had similar symptoms and a patch of dry skin on my nipple which wouldn't go away even after treating with hydrocortisone cream, gp referred me to the breast clinic and I had a mammogram and ultra sound scan which didn't show anything, but I also had a biopsy done on my nipple which showed there was a tumour, Although I dont want to cause you to worry more It may be worth discussing this with your gp?
I have since had surgery and I have been on tamoxifen for a month now, and so far I have to say side effects haven't been too bad, (I am also 42), but I can understand your concern in taking this if you have not had a cancer diagnosis.
I hope you get some answers from your GP soon, good luck xx
paged

Dear EMQ12,

How stressful for you. I wonder if they think the pain is hormonally related hence the tamoxifen. Perhaps they are not worried about cancer, but feel they can give you some relief from your symptoms with the tamoxifen. i've been on tamoxifen for several months now with no major side effects. xx
Guest user
Not applicable

thank you zuzy for your reply and advise think i will definetely have to discuss it again with doc before deciding whether to go on it or not as i am baffled as to why i am being offered it, they never mentioned about it being preventive, i am not in an at risk group as far as i am aware. thank you for your help i hope you have no pain now. thanks again
Zuzy

i'm not sure this will help and obviously based on my experience not any medical knowledge but I had almost identical breast pain with no lump that anyone could feel, was referred to breast clinic and they found several lumps on the mammogram and US therefore I would say from experience that it is a good sign nothing showed.
Tamoxifen has recently been recommended as a preventative drug as well so this could be why it has been recommended, i'd speak to your doc again to understand why they have suggested it, i is a powerful drug so you need to understand why they are recommending it, re SEs if you do take it monitor these and make sure you discuss any concerns with the doc, good luck xx
Guest user
Not applicable

worried about taking tamoxifen for Breast pain

Hello there i am new here although i have been lurking around awhile reading all your courageous and inspiring posts from some brave people may i add. I am hoping some of you can help and advise me i will try keep my story short.

back at beginning of march 2013 i started to get pain in my right breast sometimes stabbing sometimes a dull ache i went to my gp who examined me and found nothing wrong saying it was hormonal maybe as i was now 42 years old, thankfully i didnt have a lump so didnt worry too much except then i started getting other symptoms like a protruding nipple and redness and itchiness so went back to gp who then referred me to breast clinic who did a mammogram which was normal, they told me to continue with the evening primrose that i had already been taking. well my symptoms continued and after another few months the pain had become unbearable so i went back to gp and this time when she examined me she said she felt a thickening of the tissue around the right nipple so referred me back to the breast clinic where doctor there agreed there was a thickening of the skin around the nipple so i had a ultrasound of right breast which showed up nothing. so then they suggested as they could not find a cuase of the pain i should try some tamoxifen now i am worried about the side effects and also a bit baffled as i thought this drug was only taken when you had cancer ?
has anyone here heard of it being taken for Breast Pain? I am also worried still about cancer even though i have had normal mammogram and ultrasound i feel there is something wrong in there but i am accepting the doctors word that there is nothing.

I would appreciate any advice or help you can give me thank you all in advance