worried that i have breast cancer

Hi everyone,

I hope that you are all well.

I am just new to the site, I thought I would join this evening as I am worried that I may have breast cancer.

I am a 33 year old woman and two months ago my right nipple became itchy swollen and was oozing some clear fluid. I put it down to an ill fighting bra and forgot about it until one month ago I felt a new hard lump in my right breast. I visited my doctor right away and was told I had an infection and was given antibiotics but also was told I would get referred to the hospital. A few days later my right arm started to have a lot of pain and felt heavy so I visited the doctor again and was told it was an infection and given new antibiotics. A week later the lump changed and my arm continued to feel very painful and I returend to the doctor to be told that it sounded like and abscess. I have given pain killers and told to continute to take the antibiotics.

My hospital appointment was Thursday 8 March, 2 days ago. The consultant examined me and did a fine needle aspiration then a core biopsy. He told me the tissue has very hard and that it is uncommon for someone my age to have breast cancer but there is a chance I could have breast cancer.

I am now worried and feel sick but I am also trying to be positive.

I get my biopsy results on Wednesday.

Can anyone advise if they have had a similar situation?

Thanks so much.

Kelly

Hi Kelly,

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care Discussion Forums. I’m sure other forum users will be along soon to offer support but please do also remember that you can give the BCC Helpline a call if it would help to talk to someone in confidence. Lines are open Mon-Fri 9am-5pm and Sat 9am-2pm tel. 0808 800 6000.

With best wishes,
Anna, BCC Facilitator

Haven’t really got any advice, but hope youth results go ok. If your lump has changed, maybe this is a good sign?
There are alot of women on here with much more experience than me, so i am sure they will be along soon.
Let us know how you get on x

Hi Kelly
I know you must be worried, but there are so many factors to take into account with your symptoms, that I’d be wary of saying anything about them till you get your results.
You will know that the waiting is awful, but you’ve done the very best thing by getting it checked and and also to find yourself here.
I have found this a nice friendly, supportive and safe place to air your concerns and ‘sit it out’ with folks who know how you feel.

Try not to use the web-it was the best advice I had.There’s a lot of nonsense out there!
Try to keep yourself busy and come back and us us know how you get on on Wednesday.
Whatever the outcome, we’re all here for you
Cathie
xx

Hi Kelly,

9 out of 10 breast lumps are benign - but it’s good that they are checking it out!! And hopefully it will be nothing sinister.

I was diagnosed last year at the age of 33. Unfortunately there are quite a few young ones on here from early 20s upwards. It is a great support network though so IF you do get bad news then we will be here to virtually hold your hand (or maybe literally! I have met some fantastic girls through the forum).

The waiting is THE WORST! Just try and keep busy.

Fingers and toes crossed for good news for you. Let us know how it goes.

X

thank you lovely ladies xxx

the thing that has worried me the most was that the consultant said the words “it could be cancer” when i did not mention cancer!

it really scared me.

to those of you who have been diagnosed i really wish you the best and i am positive that you are strong woman and can fight this.

thanks again xxx

It is scary BUT it is good that this is being checked out. Most of the young women I have met were misdiagnosed for a long time as their GP and breast clinics didn’t bother doing biopsies due to our age and that sometimes (due to dense breast tissue) nothing shows up on mamograms or ultrasounds. I was dismissed for months and reassured I didn’t have cancer and it wasn’t until I broke down in tears and begged for a biopsy that I was diagnosed. By this point my breast had swollen hugely and the largest lump was almost 9cm! I can’t help but think that had the breast clinic done a biopsy on my first visit would I have avoided a mastectomy, would it have spread to my lymph nodes etc. I’ll never know.

Most ladies with breast cancer will be cured - but the earlier it is caught, the better.

Hopefully it will be benign and you can breath a huge sigh of relief and not have to worry about it being the Big C!

x

thank you xxx

sandytoes you seem so positive and it must be awful what you are going through. your story have really touched me and you are such a strong woman as are the other ladies on her too.

good luck ladies and i will keep you updated with my story xxx

i have had stabbing pains all day today in my breast. they keep coming and going and i have been taking painkillers every four hours but they do not seem to be helping. i can also feel the pain on my back directly behind my breast and my other breast has some pain too. i actually feel like i am going crazy. i am trying not to feel sorry for myself and i am also trying my very best to think positive but i am terrified.
i went to work today but i could not concentrate on the job and i explained to my boss i probably will not be in tomorrow as i am in pain and i have too much going on in my mind.
i get my biopsy results on wednesday.
is it normal to have stabbing pains after a biopsy?
x

Hi baby chops its very common to have pain in your breast following biopsy… It’s common to be more aware of your breast too so you tend to notice pains more and some people find themsleves touch or prod the breast and feel for the lump which can cause it to be more tender too.

Fingers crossed for wednesday.

Lxxx

hi ladies,

sadly i have breast cancer. spoke to surgeon on wednesday and he confirmed it.
got a mamogram on wednesday and blood taken then today i got an ultra sound, bone scan and a chest x ray. i will get all the results next wednesday.
i am trying my very best to be strong but i was also worried that it had spread but today i was told that my bloods were normal, my chest xray and bone scan looked ok but i would be told more next wednesday when i have my appointment with consultant.
has anyone has a problem with their oesophagus? i am having the feeling that there is something constantly stuck in my throat and not very comfortable when i eat or drink. this have been going on for about a month now. i mentioned it to the cancer nurse and she said it could be thrush and not to worry but i couldnt help but type “oesophagus” into the internet and information came up about cancer. i do not want to seem like i am a hypochondriac.
i really just hope that this cancer has not spread but i think by what they are saying about bloods etc that i am ok.
i was told that during ultrasound 3 lymp nodes where prominent but i do not think that is anything to worry about is it?
after reading what you ladies have been through i am sure i can fight it too and be strong, you are an inspiration. xxx

really sorry to hear your news babychops… glad your scan so far are all normal that is good news.

with regards to prominent nodes this may or may not be significant… if tehy are positive it can alter what treatment you get eg if there was a possibility you didnt need chemo having positive nodes would mean chemo is recommended… many people worry about having positive nodes but they are actually very common and you still have a good prognosis and they would be treating your curatively.

as for the oesophagus problems… the most common oesophaus issue is indigestion it can feel like somebody sitting on your chest or burning at the back of your throat… if there was something majorly worrying there something would most likely have showed up on your chest xray.

sending love and hugs xxx

Hi babychops

I am sorry to read of your recent diagnosis. As well as the support you receive on here you may find useful to order the BCC resources pack, it has been designed for those newly diagnosed and has information to help you understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available. If you would like a copy just follow the link below:

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/resource-pack-primary-early-breast-cancer-bcc145

If you feel you need to talk to someone in confidence then please give the helpline a call, the staff here are all either breast care nurses or people who have personal experience of breast care issues. The number to call is 0808 800 6000 the lines open Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm and Saturdays 9am - 2pm.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Oh no. So sorry you have had to join us. Sending you big, big hugs. It’s such an terrifying and emotional rollercoaster at the beginning. I really wish I could write more - but am en route to the airport! I was diagnosed at the end of last May and was so scared and didn’t even think I would see Christmas - convinced it had spread everywhere - every ache and pain was something sinister to me. Had chemo before surgery, a double mastectomy, radiotherapy, Herceptin, Tamoxifen, the works, but since the middle of December (about 7 months since being diagnosed) I have been filling my boots with travelling and holidays and visiting friends and family and life is good again! And it will be for you too.

Will get in touch again when I get the chance, but just wanted to send some supportive hugs to you.

x