young and a little scared

Hi everyone. My name is Alex and i am 22 years old. i have not been diagnosed with breast cancer. I have, however, had a benign tumor removed from my right breast earlier this year. I had a routine pap smear done two days ago and while checking my breast my doctor found another small lump in my left breast this time, about the size of a nickle almost a quarter she said. so now she is sending me to get a sonogram of it as soon as my insurance clears it. When i got the first lump removed i wasnt so scared or concerend as i am now that they have found a second one. Because now it seems that it could possibly be a pervasive problem. i was told that my dad’s mom and sister both passed from breast cancer. i decided to join this becasue i need someone to talk to who has experience with it and i just feel that i cant talk to anyone around me about it.

Hi Alex

Welcome to the BCC discussion forums where I am sure you will get lots of good, honest support from the many informed users of this site. BCC have a lot of publications relating to younger women and breast treatment which you might be interested in reading, just follow the links from the home page to ‘publications’. By the way you write, I presume you are not in the UK? If so some of the treatments discussed here may differ from treatments you may received where you live, but the support you will get from other users of this site will, I am sure, help you along.

Take care,

Jo, Facilitator

Hi Alex
I’m sorry to hear you are going through a bad time at the moment but do try and keep positive, hopefully the tests on the new lump will come back good.

I was diagnosed with BC last week, my lump is small, 1 cm, so I will have an operation to remove it and then radiotherapy.

It is all very scarey and the waiting for results is the worst thing but keep positive and whenever you need to talk I know the ladies on this forum are here to listen. Although I am in the UK so, as Jo says above, the treatments may be a bit different our feelings and thoughts are the same and we do know how you feel.

All the best to you and please let me know how you get on.
Chris xx