young and worried

Hi All,
I’m new to this, have been reading for a few days now and though I would post. First of all I’ll give you a little history, I’m 26 and a mother of 2. I felt a small lump in my right breast around 4 months ago, however at this time I was very busy with uni work and in the middle of a house move so I brushed it off and forgot about it. Anyway on friday I was due to get my contraceptive implant taken out and go on the combi pill. Whilst there the very nice female doctor asked me all the routine questions, I finally pluck up the courage and mentioned the ‘lump’. I had convinced myself that there was nothing there and it was all in my head, anyway this wasn’t the case and she knew excately where it was without me telling her. I have since been referred to the breast clinic, as an urgent case and ahve an appointment for the 1/4/2010. I have had many people tell me not to worry it probabaly nothing, but I just can’t help but think what if it is. I keep being told that with no family history and my young age the likely hood of it being BC is rare, but I just keep thinking it happens. I have since noticed some other changes to my breast, I don’t know whether this is just my mind working overtime or what. I just can’t think straight which is making life tough, as I have a dissertation due in on the 23/4/2010 that I have hardly looked at, I can’t wait till Thursday at least I’ll no one way or another the waiting is driving me mad.

x

Hi ionaday

Welcome to the BCC forums where i am sure you will receive lots of support and information from your fellow users. In addition I have posted a link below to the BCC publication ‘Referral to a breast clinic’ which you may find helpful to read:

breastcancercare.org.uk/healthcare-professionals/publications/quick-order-list/*/changeTemplate/PublicationDisplay/publicationId/59/

You are also welcome to call our confidential helpline for further support on 0808 800 6000, it’s open weekdays 9-5 and Sat 9-2.

Hope this helps
Take care
Lucy

Hi, ionaday,

Hope thursday comes around for you quick. its easy to get carried away with all thats going on so you dont want to think about yourself glad you are getting this lump looked at, the waiting is very hard to do. the best thing is to keep busy. the doctor will do there best for you i will keep my fingers crossed that it all goes well for you. If i can be of any help then let me know. you are doing the best you can in getting it looked at. Dont worry if they send you for tests they seem to send everyone now. let us know how you get on take care.

Tracyxxxx

Hi,

I have wondered about whether to post a comment on this thread or not. Your situation reminded me so much of mine. I was 33 when I spotted some hard tissue in my breast…I left it a few months then I went to the doctors to have the contraceptive implant fitted and happened to mention it to my doctor who ‘fast tracked’ me to get it checked out!

I wasnt concerned…I breast fed both my girls, its not in the family and my age…however it was confirmed as breast cancer. You can imagine my world came crashing down infront of my very eyes…but now 9 months later Im coming through the other side and if the worst case happens you will too!!

I just wanted to say the waiting is always the worst. It is good that your GP has refered you so quickly and the not knowing is always the worst. Let us know how you get on.

Lots of best wishes and positive vibes xx

Thank you all for kind words. Tracy you are right about keeping busy, it does help. I have told the people at work as I work in a small office with all women and they have been really good, keeping my mind off it. Its generally when things are quiet that I start to think about it. I keep moving from convincing myself that there isn’t even a lump to thinking the worse. I am kicking myself for leaving it so long but nothing I can do about it now. It has grown a fair bit since I first found it not sure if that means anything or not. I’m not to concerned about tests, infact I’d rather have them all least that way I know for sure one way or another.

Salsal- I’m glad you did post. It must have been so hard hearing that bad news. I 'm really pleased that you are coming through the other side now. Its really weird but at the moment its not the thought of having BC that really scares me its the changes I will have to make in my life. I am nearly at the end of a 3 year degree, I only have till august. The thought of not finishing this really bothers me.
Your right though it is the waiting that is hard, I woke up this morning and my first thought was only two more sleeps and to check if it was still there lol! Even though I know it won’t go over nigh (would be nice if it would).

I’m having a much better day today, think talking about it helps. Hubby does not really like me talking about it, don’t think he really knows what to say.

Thanks again x x

Hi ionaday,

Think the hubby`s do find it hard and all you want to do is talk about it and they just want not to think about it i had that with my hubby when we went throught this the first time but you can talk on here at any time and someone will be able to talk to you. glad you have told the ladies at work they will be good to talk to, not much longer for you to wait keeping my fingers crossed for you. you will keep checking if its still there i do the same. you can talk to me if it will help take care talk soon.x

Tracy xxxx

Hi Ionaday,

very best of luck for tomorrow, I really hope it goes well for you.

It is rare at such a young age, but it can happen and you have done the best thing to discuss it and get referred. I was 29 when diagnosed in dec and like you just shrugged it off as nothing, but am very glad I sought help when I did.

I’m undergoing chemo at the moment and had the surgery, so it is do-able even if the news is not good. I’m just sorry that you have this worry about when nearing the end of your degree! What a pain!

Paula xx

Thank you all for you good luck wishes, I am feeling pretty calm at the moment. I have managed to convince myself that they are going to tell me its just lumpy breast tissue. I’m actually starting to worry I’m wasting their time. This afternoon can’t come quickly enough, I just want this waitng over with, fortunatley I have a busy morning so that should help pass the time quickly. I will let you know how I get on.
I hope that those of you that are undergoing treatment are not finding it to hard.
Take care

Iona x x

Wishing you the best of luck today hope it goes well for you fingers crossed well everything is crossed for you. xxxx
Tracy xxxxxxxxx

Thinking of you today, fingers and toes crossed for you :slight_smile:
Angela xxx

Hi thinking of you today hope it is good news Jane x

Everything crossed for good news ionaday, let us know how you get on
kathyx

Great news everyone everything is fine! They think it could be hormonal changes. Thank you everyone for you well wishes and for those of you that haven’t been so lucky, I hope that you recover quickly and enjoy the rest of your lifes.

Thank you again

Iona x x x

Thats such good news so happy for you. fantastic news.xxxxxxxx
Tracy x