Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10 days post-mastectomy and Steristrips feel so tight and uncomfortable

1 REPLY 1
Nurse_BCN

Re: 10 days post-mastectomy and Steristrips feel so tight and uncomfortable

Hi LaceWing

Thanks for posting

It’s good to read you’re doing well following your mastectomy.

It’s not unusual for the scar and chest area to feel tight as the tissue begins to heal. Continuing with exercises can help with this.

Steri-strips can usually be removed once the wound is healed. You could call you breast care nurse and ask if an appointment has been made to review your wound and remove the steri-strips. You can also ask if you can start gently massaging the scar with moisturiser as this can stop the skin from getting dry and keep the skin more supple. This information on Caring for scars after breast surgery may also be useful.

We offer a range of free supportive services that you might be interested in.

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would like a nurse to call you do complete this form. Ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Val

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

LaceWing

10 days post-mastectomy and Steristrips feel so tight and uncomfortable

I had a mastectomy and sentinel node biopsies ten days ago.  I’m doing well.  Drain was removed at seven days post-surgery which was a great relief not to have to carry my pretty bag around! But the steristrips are driving me mad 😡  They feel like they tightening up and inhibiting my movements.  Any advice on encouraging them to go?  Or perhaps I’m being impatient? 🙁