Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alendronic Acid

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: Alendronic Acid

Hi Thurnefi

Thanks for posting.

Alendronic Acid can cause irritation to the oesophagus (throat), which is why it’s recommended to be taken in the way described in the patient leaflet. It should be taken (and swallowed whole) at least 30 minutes before eating with plain water only. You shouldn’t lie down for at least half an hour after taking the tablet.

It is also recommended that you wait at least 30 minutes after taking the tablet before taking any other medicines such as your thyroxine and letrozole. 

You could talk through your concerns with your hospital team as they prescribed the medication for you.

Do call our free, confidential Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The number is 0808 800 6000.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.  

Best wishes

Addie

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Re: Alendronic Acid

Hi,

I've been on weekly Alendronic Acid a few months, plus daily calcium/vit d supplement and daily letrozole.

GP, Pharmacist, Osteoporosis Society and patient leaflet all advised clearly that Alendronic Acid is taken with a full glass of water in the morning on an empty stomach standing/sitting upright. No bending or food for at least half hour. I leave it an hour. No bending is important as the drug is an acid and if there is any reflux then you risk damage to the oesophagus (tube from mouth to stomach). Food is supposed to stop the absorption of the drug so that is why taking it on an empty stomach is important. Don't think your stomach would be empty within an hour of having breakfast. I think you should tell your pharmacist his advice is incorrect as it could affect a lot of others as well. 

It's also important to get dental check done asap if you haven't already as there is a rare side effect that can damage your jaw if you have serious dental problems or disease.

When I took my first dose I felt unwell and headachy for the day but no problems since then. I take the drug first thing on the day of the week which is least rushed - for me this is a Sunday. The letrozole and supplements I take in the evenings.

Hope this helps.

Sandpiper

x

Highlighted

Alendronic Acid

Hi there

I am wondering of anyone can clarify something about taking this.  The pharmacist suggested to me taking thyroxin when I get up (and letrozole), eating breakfast and waiting an hour, then taking the alendronic acid.  The patient leaflet, however, says to take alendronic acid first thing, before eating or taking any other meds.  Is that an absolute, or can I do as the pharmacist suggested?  I would find the process much easier an hour after taking other meds (and breakfast!) to be upright for an hour (e.g. no bending in the shower) and drink the required amount of water.

Many thanks for any advice.

Smiley Happy