Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I being a nuisance?

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted

Re: Am I being a nuisance?

Hi Deebee

Thanks for posting.

It’s natural to worry when you have new symptoms, especially as you have only recently finished your treatment. 

It’s good to hear that you have got an appointment to get your symptoms checked out, your treatment team will not think you are being a nuisance as Aurore2000, Wahini and Tolliebelle all mention. 

You are certainly not alone in going back to the clinic with new symptoms. The uncertainty and fear of another breast cancer is very real. At first, every ache or pain may frighten you; most people find the anxiety lessens as the time goes on. New symptoms can be due to a number of reasons other than cancer.  However, it’s always important to get any new symptom checked out in case it’s due to a recurrence, as with Tolliebelle and Wahini.  In this situation it’s important to get it diagnosed promptly.

Many people are surprised at how emotional they feel when their treatment finishes. Adapting to life after treatment can be difficult and often the need for information and support continues. You may be interested in our resources that are particularly for those who have come to the end of their main hospital treatment. These are known as our Moving forward services and include our resources pack and Moving Forward course.

Talking to someone who has had a similar experience can be helpful and our Someone Like Me service can arrange for one of our volunteers to talk to you by email or telephone. Our volunteers have had a personal experience of breast cancer and are trained to provide support.

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Louise

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Hi Deebee ! 

You are not a nuisance! My view is that you need to go with your gut feelings and if you feel it is not right you get it checked ! 
Fingers crossed it’s nothing! 
all the best

aurore 

Highlighted

And you will too if it comes to it. We are strong women lol x

Highlighted

Wow, you have been through it.

Thanks for the reply, it helps me to know that you have got through it.

Stay strong

Highlighted

Yes have had Bc 3 times in 4 years and mine were all triple negative grade 3. Had lumpectomies radiotherapy and chemo for first 2 then bilateral mastectomy and chemo for third. Just getting to 5 years clear. Had reconstruction 2 years ago and very happy with results. Fingers crossed you will get the all clear x

Highlighted

I only finished treatment in November!

Did your clinic carry out tests again, were they cancerous?  I hope you dont mind me asking, I am running through every scenario over and over. X

Highlighted

Hi I had new lump in opposite breast 18 months after finishing treatment and then a 3rd in original breast a further 18 months after that so you be a nuisance and go get it checked!!!! 

Highlighted

Hi Deebee

Thanks for posting your question.

We hope to be able to respond to you tomorrow.

In the meantime our Helpline is open until 4pm today if you would like to talk things through. 

If you do phone our Helpline please let us know that you have asked a question on our forum so that we know your query has been answered. Thank you

With best wishes.

Lisa

Ask Our Nurses Co-ordinator

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer .

Highlighted

I got the all clear after surgical removal of low grade DCIS. Less than a year later I felt lump under the scar. I thought hopefully scar tissue but I didn't trust it so I went back to my GP for referral to breast clinic. It turned out to be high grade tumor and two infected lymph nodes as well! All clear now again, after more surgery, chemotherapy and radiotherapy, hopefully for a very long time. 

Take care of yourself.

Highlighted

Can I ask if you have had bc twice then? And how long between?

Highlighted

No, you are not being a nuisance and yes, I have gone back with new symptoms and it saved my life!

Highlighted

Am I being a nuisance?

I have recently finished treatment. During treatment I have requested to see my consultant with some concerns, he has seen me and was dismissiveI now have new symptoms in my other breast.  I have contacted the clinic and have an appointment next week, I am afraid they will think I am being a nuisance.  Has anyone else had to go back with new symptoms?