Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I being overly worried

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: Am I being overly worried

Hi wonderful

Thanks for posting.

It’s natural to worry following a diagnosis of breast cancer.

Your treatment team will have considered many different factors when deciding the most appropriate treatment for you.  As you mention these would have included your pre-existing health conditions as well as, specific characteristics of your cancer.

How you are followed up after treatment depends on your individual needs and the arrangements at the hospital where you were treated. 

Depending on the surgery you had you should usually be offered regular mammograms, However, you won’t usually have other routine scans and tests unless you have symptoms that need checking.  Several large studies have shown having regular scans when there are no symptoms is not useful in finding recurrence and doesn’t improve overall survival. 

After treatment for breast cancer it’s important to be aware of any new changes to your breasts, chest or surrounding area and report these to your GP as soon as possible.

Many people are surprised at how emotional they feel when their treatment finishes. Adapting to life after treatment can be difficult and often the need for information and support continues. You may be interested in our resources that are particularly for those who have come to the end of their main hospital treatment. 

Our mobile app Becca provides information, tips and inspiration to help you move forward. The easy-to-use cards give you bite-size information on everything from managing menopausal symptoms to strategies for coping with anxiety. Categories include diet, exercise, mindfulness and body image. You can also read personal stories from people like you who are adjusting to life beyond breast cancer treatment.

You can download Becca for free from Google Play and the App Store. If you don’t have a smartphone, you can use the online version.

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Louise

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Am I being overly worried

Hi

I had DCIS and invasive breast cancer in 2016.  The cancer was HER+ and ER+.  The DCIS was extensive but the tumour was small - only 10mm.  Due to other health problems, Multiple Sclerosis, osteoporosis, sickle cell, spondylosis, low body weight, my consultant felt that chemo with herceptin wasn't the best option for me. Sentinel nodes were checked and clear.  11 months later I found a lump in my armpit, 10mm, and unfortunately it contained micromets.  Again the lymph node was HER+ and ER+. I did not have chemo with herceptin for the same reasons as previously.  My consultant said that finding axillary node cancer after a clear sentinel node biopsy was very rare - only happens in 3% of cases.

Herceptin has been classed as the wonder drug for HER+ cancer but I did not have this.  Should I be worried and should I be having regular scans and check ups. Or am I just being silly? Thanks for letting me offload my concerns.